Prestashop won't update to latest version with 1 click module

I moved to Prestashop from Magento because Magento ran so slow on the paid host I was using.  I now have my own server in my house and I put prestashop on it, once I populated to over 400+ items, the back office started performing slow and it's not as responsive as it once was.  I was hoping that upgrading the the latest version of Prestashop would fix this.  I'm on 1.7.8.0 right now and my back office has a section that says I can upgrade to 1.7.8.1.  I click the download button for that and it doesn't upgrade prestashop, instead it goes to an external website for Prestashop add ons and it goes specifically to a page for 1-Click upgrade module with absolutely no download links.  What is this?  Should I expect Prestashop to be filled with modules that are broken like this?  Surely this isn't how it's supposed to function right?  Suggest that you can upgrade with the click of a button only to be taken to a page with no links to go further?  Why are these ecommerce packages so bug ridden and prone to getting so damn slow all the time?  Is there an ecommerce package that just works for a fee?

Magento seemed to work fine but it was so slow and the paid host charged a ton of money for resources if I wanted to give it 4 processors and 8 gigs of ram. 

Why doesn't this one click upgrade work and how can I upgrade easily?  This is one of the features that made this look awesome, but of course it's broken, so it doesn't appear to be a feature at all.

3 hours ago, falken76 said:

Magento seemed to work fine but it was so slow and the paid host charged a ton of money for resources if I wanted to give it 4 processors and 8 gigs of ram. 

A different Hoster did not fall into your choices?

A home Server is way understaffed for Web shops. You need at least a 100 mb/s Data connection. A dedicated IP and a good amount of RAM. 

Edited by Nickz (see edit history)

I'll eventually move it back to a host at some point, but my friend is head of IT at the company he works for and they were upgrading their servers so they just gave me one of their old servers and it has a ton of ram and fast enough processors on it, I put ESXI on it so my VMs have no problems with resources now and I already have a high speed connection that exceeds 100mb/s and a static IP.  The website never had a ton of traffic in the first place, I would move it to a host if there was a huge uptick in traffic, but I barely get 30 visits a day as it is, with decent conversion. I just wanted to learn how to use this stuff so I can get the hell out of call center hell and start a career, this so far has been a good way to learn about linux, vmware, load balancers, websites, webservers, setting up ssl etc.  If maintaining the website proves to be a huge pain, I'll move it to a host right away as long as it's still getting sales.  Until then, I just make back ups of everything on a regular basis.

Edited by falken76 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, falken76 said:

I just wanted to learn how to use this stuff so I can get the hell out of call center hell and start a career, this so far has been a good way to learn about linux, vmware, load balancers, websites, webservers, setting up ssl etc.

Very nice 👌

Keep it up, 30 Visitors is a good start. So don't worry. You just need to be close to your customer base.

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2021 at 12:28 AM, Rhobur said:

You can manually upgrade it as described here, https://devdocs.prestashop.com/1.7/basics/keeping-up-to-date/upgrade/; it is easy, I do it all the time and if you don't have server issues it'll work 100%.

Thank you for this, I've got things working now, but the one click upgrade still won't work for me.  I have to put the store in maintenance mode to use it and the second you try to leave the page after putting it into maintenance mode everything breaks and says the webserver is down.  I prefer the CLI anyway.