What generates so many files in Prestashop ?

mcbole62

Version 1.7.7.8

So I have a plan with Ionos that limits me to 262144 files.    I had moved my website over from another host thinking this would be better.  When I first moved it over a few weeks ago, I had roughly 170,000 files.   Now I've reached the limit.   What would possible add so many files to the folders on my host ?    I deleted a module of about 500 files, and almost immediately they were back.   Is this normal ?   Is there somewhere I can look to see what is doing this ?   I really need this to stop if it's something that's not supposed to be doing that.

Thanks....

Matt

Probably the cache system, used to speed up the site. You can switch it off, and delete the cache but the site will be slower. Check the performance tab on the back office

Having a plan that limits number of files is ridiculous really. 

You should try to change plan or hosting that does have unlimited files. Most do limit by maybe 20-30GB depending on plan.

PrestaShop does generate lot of files for cache, plus images. But that is all mostly small files.

Like @Nickz said go with some VPS it should be quite enough of space. 

I've already change the plan so I don't have to worry about a certain number of files, however to migrate over I need to be able to get into my back office which I can not, because I'm currently maxed out.   Hence the reason to know the exact cache that I could empty to clear up some files so I can continue to work on the back office.   So when you say Prestashop cache.... There are a number of them, is there any one in particular I can empty to start.   I'm not worrying about website speed at the moment, I'm worrying about getting it moved over and running.

Well then you can delete  in /var/cache  both dev and prod folders. That should help, but right after you delete those make a whole backup of your files.

Those folders will be filled when anyone visits your store front office so maybe try first to password protect your site just for a small time while you make backup.

It also depends from store to store, from modules you may use, you might have other files that accumulate like logs, cron jobs results, cache modules. If you did an upgrade in past, like from 1.6,  there may be leftovers of cache in  cache/smarty 2 folders. Also check your adminXXX/autoupgrade folder for possible backups or downloads of whole latest PrestaShop versions, with again all native files.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/24/2021 at 5:08 PM, mcbole62 said:

Version 1.7.7.8

So I have a plan with Ionos that limits me to 262144 files.    I had moved my website over from another host thinking this would be better.  When I first moved it over a few weeks ago, I had roughly 170,000 files.   Now I've reached the limit.   What would possible add so many files to the folders on my host ?    I deleted a module of about 500 files, and almost immediately they were back.   Is this normal ?   Is there somewhere I can look to see what is doing this ?   I really need this to stop if it's something that's not supposed to be doing that.

Thanks....

Matt

Hey buddy, did you ever solve your problem? I have exactly the same one once moving to a higher plan with more Inodes and I don't know how to fix it or what's causing it....