Best way to upgrade from 1.7.2.0

joninx

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to prestashop and I've got a site, which I'm starting to manage. The issue is that the versión is quite old, thus it's running prestashop 1.7.2.0. I want to update it to the latest version, which is 1.7.8.0 as far as I know.

I wonder which is the best way to do it. I've heard of 1 click upgrade plugin, but i don't know whether it's the best option.

For the time being, I've setted up a development server with a copy of the production environment (prestashop files and mysql database) and I'm testing a bit, but with no luck (I can expand the issue later). This development environment has been carried out within a dockerized container using an official image of prestashop. The upgrade process followed in here has been using 1 click upgrade from command line.

In other words, I don't know if it's safe to upgrade from 1.7.2.0 to 1.7.8.0, or whether it's better to upgrade step by step using any intermediate version.

Thank you so much!

Edited by joninx (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, ndiaga said:

Hi,

Yes  you have  to  unsinstall  extra  modules  and  use  the  default  theme  first.

I've got several modules installed, plus a custom theme. This theme is fully compatible with the latest version of prestashop. Is it enough to disable third party modules within the BO?

First of all, I'm going to update my theme to the latest version. This, includes the update of all dependant module (of the theme itself).

Afterwards, I'll update Prestashop with 1-Click  upgrade. But, just before this, I think I should disable all no native prestashop modules.

Do you agree with me? 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, joninx said:

Afterwards, I'll update Prestashop with 1-Click  upgrade. But, just before this, I think I should disable all no native prestashop modules.

Prestashop will update the modules that are part of its package. So you don't need to care about that.

As for all the other modules: update them to a version that is certified compatible with the latest PS version when you can.  

For the remaining modules it will be a bit of a gamble. Most likely they will work. You can for certainty disable them. But if they are really problematic they may even cause problems in disabled state. So the advice always to make a backup by yourself (never trust the backup in the upgrade process!) stays relevant.

• Like 1

Yes it does. Disabling modules, external ones, won't help. Remove them, change theme to classic and use 1-click upgrade. While it could work without total remove its tricky and problematic afterwards.

Be sure to make backup.

In my opinion the best way to do upgrade on non live store. Like clone one for modules tests.

Im doing like that. Pure new presta install. Then install the theme, same like live store. Install modules i need. Transfer whole data. After that testing whole functionality. If all goes well, do the same on live shop.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, ComGrafPL said:

Yes it does. Disabling modules, external ones, won't help. Remove them, change theme to classic and use 1-click upgrade. While it could work without total remove its tricky and problematic afterwards.

Be sure to make backup.

In my opinion the best way to do upgrade on non live store. Like clone one for modules tests.

Im doing like that. Pure new presta install. Then install the theme, same like live store. Install modules i need. Transfer whole data. After that testing whole functionality. If all goes well, do the same on live shop.

Im doing as you suggested- Look my live site to local on winamp. Will try oneclick to take it up to latest build with all my bought modules uninstalled. 

I thought of your plan (Pure new presta install) but the problem i have is with the img directory. The reimported db from the running shop links to the calamity that is the img directory. How are you solving this? just with a regen of the thumbnails? or with some paid module?

Edited by bnadauld (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 5:40 AM, joninx said:

Thanks for all the comments mates. One last question: would something break if I change to the default theme? Would any theme configuration get lost by doing this?

Thanks!

in my limited experience you can just change back and forth between themes. Personally, with the test environment set up you can mess about and see if it works then when ur happy just upload the files and db to the production sever (reconfig'ing: ps_configuration table and change PS_SHOP_DOMAIN and PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL & ps_shop_url  ‘domain’, ‘domain_ssl’ fields to your domain name and ‘physical_uri’) clear cache and turn off then on friendly urls) and it 'should work as in the test environment.