Sad experience upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7.7.2

Hello everybody and PS Team,

This thread of mine is NOT to complain but to share the very sad real-user (non-dev, simply site owner) experience I'm having "upgrading" (at the end maybe we'll have to revert everything back to PS 1.6 after the third day the shop is down).

I did my homeworks:

- I purchased relevant plugins for PS 1.7.7.2 from Prestashop Addons

- I chose theme by one of the most popular agencies for PS themes (now after sales not really replying to support requests)

- I chose a Prestashop Platinum Partner to perform the upgrade of my shop (they're kind and capable but still fighting with this upgrade)

- I am on a dedicated root server

After three days working on it still so many DB and fatal errors we are thiking to revert back to 1.6....this would be extremely frustrating and so bad for our reputation to customers.

I attach info from BO...everything should be ok but...how comes al those issues? I understand software is not perfect and bugs are always discovered and fixed but having such a nightmare to upgrade is sad and expensive, what can we site owners do to avoid all of this?

Again, it's not a complaint but please understand that upgrade processes should be way much better than this...

Thanks for reading

screenshot-2021.03.03-08_28_45.png

1 minute ago, mehere said:

Hello everybody and PS Team,

This thread of mine is NOT to complain but to share the very sad real-user (non-dev, simply site owner) experience I'm having "upgrading" (at the end maybe we'll have to revert everything back to PS 1.6 after the third day the shop is down).

I did my homeworks:

- I purchased relevant plugins for PS 1.7.7.2 from Prestashop Addons

- I chose theme by one of the most popular agencies for PS themes (now after sales not really replying to support requests)

- I chose a Prestashop Platinum Partner to perform the upgrade of my shop (they're kind and capable but still fighting with this upgrade)

- I am on a dedicated root server

After three days working on it still so many DB and fatal errors we are thiking to revert back to 1.6....this would be extremely frustrating and so bad for our reputation to customers.

I attach info from BO...everything should be ok but...how comes al those issues? I understand software is not perfect and bugs are always discovered and fixed but having such a nightmare to upgrade is sad and expensive, what can we site owners do to avoid all of this?

Again, it's not a complaint but please understand that upgrade processes should be way much better than this...

Thanks for reading

screenshot-2021.03.03-08_28_45.png

There is no PS Team on this forum. So they won't hear you.

Expecting everything to be ready in three days is extremely optimistic. The recommended approach is to make a copy of your shop, upgrade that and work out all its problems. And then when it is ready you do a second data transfer and switch the server. Some shops take months for that - mostly not because of the bugs but because they want the new shop to be perfect. I am just puzzled why your service provider didn't do that. It is not professional.

The information you provide about your installation is not relevant. If there is a problem with your server it will be in obscure settings, not in the basics. More likely it is the interplay between the PS version, the template and the modules that gives problems. A faulty upgrade and existing database problems can't be excluded either.

Yes, I understand and agree....that's why this time I used platinum partner and "best" theme....they should manage both upgrade/server/theme process pretty well, surely better than me.

I love Prestashop but this is really a lot to handle and money lost...hope it will improve soon :S

All kinds...some fixed others there.

Theme issues, plugin installed but not working correctly, database giving errors....even hard to list :S

Also PS's GDPR just upgraded plugin gives errors when for example I try to sarch for a customer data it gets redirected to main BO dashboard :S

build a catalog and hire an PrestaShop Agency to build you a great shop.

product vertical expert +  agency = success

Platinum only means they sell modules on addons which PS pushes.  We are sliver, but probably the best PS team on the planet, wait no we are the best PS agency on the planet, we just don't spend much time on addons because they let anyone publish, full of junk loool.

Proud to be US PS Agency five years now....

You are obviously right but in my case:

1) if upgrade process is not smooth (not even core's) is something to consider;

2) I did built a catalogue years ago;

3) I did hire an Agency as I stated, that PS platinum partner is an agency specialized in Prestashop

4) I purchased a theme by most popular theme developing agency I'm pretty sure you use/have used as well

Sorry but this time I have no major regrets myself ;)

Edited by mehere (see edit history)

On 3/3/2021 at 8:31 AM, mehere said:

after the third day the shop is down).

Seriously a premium partner did an upgrade directly on your live shop and not on a shop clone with deep testing before? You should kick them and get your money back.

I am also going through this right now and essentially got everything moved over only to find basic functions (shipping and payment modules) are now missing from base Prestashop install, in addition to to other finite issues.  The theme developer should definitely help you with the install and issues of the theme.  That's my common experience buying 6 or 7 themes.  But like the others said, the new store should have been put into a subfolder and tested prior to going live. If you cant get the help you need here, you can always go to Upwork and hire Prestashop experts for $15-45/hour or a flat fee based on job required.  I am now deciding if I am going to leave Prestashop to Shopify based on the cost on getting my store updated to 1.7.72.

Edited by flyclothing (see edit history)

8 days after the theme developing agency is not even replying....and I also sent screenshots of fatal errors....

Going to Upwork and finding another self-defining "expert"...how can someone trust anyone there more than certified agencies here on PS community/forum/addons?

The reason why I started this thread is hoping someone in PS understands why the lose users and customers....each upgrade is a pain and costly....this is simply discouraging and yeah...making us all always looking for the right time to jump to another platform.

I was already asked by a PS Agency (!) if I was interested in migrating to shopify...how sad is that?

• Like 1