Product Features & Values

Hello,

I'm currently using PS 1.6.1, and I'm looking to dive into the product features of my store's catalog (around 30,000 products which don't have features).

I've noticed that you can go 2 ways about setting the value for the features:

1. Create it in advance in the Catalog -> Features section, then choose a predefined value from the ones you created earlier during product editing.

2. Input a customized value when you're editing the product (where you can type in anything and it will appear in the product specs tab).

Now, I have the following problem: if I add these values during the product edit, and input it there (for ex. instead of choosing Color: White, I manually type White, and add it as a custom value). Problem arrives in the category filters, where you can sort products by features/values.

- If I create a value for a feature in the features manager and select it during product edit, it appears correctly.

- If I type a custom value for a feature during product editing, it doesn't show up in the filters at all (but shows up in the product page spec tab).

I'm currently using PS's native feature manager, and I'm wondering if another module for handling features might help in having the features shown on the filters even if I don't pre-create the feature before editing the product. 

I'm looking forward to any insight from the PS community, thank you!