cant login after installation 500 error

Once I have installed Prestashop 1.7.7.1 , on the login screen, after I type my credentuals the screen hangs as shown in the attached screenshot. 

I have my php verson set to 7.2, permissions are 0755 for folders and 0644 for files.

I am at a loss, any ideas what I can do to fix this issue?

I am installing on a sub domain. 

I installed prestashop using the same setup, on the same server but with a differnet site/subdomain yesterday and had no issues so I dont understand why its not playing ball with me on this subdomain. 

some more info:

with defines.inc.php file error reporting set to true I get this return:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'const' (T_CONST), expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) in /home2/gcodetutor/store.gcodetutor.com/classes/Tools.php on line 43

Chrome dev tools returns this error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

Any ideas what else I can try?

Thanks in advance

Marc

login-error.jpg

I found a work around. 

Its not great but it works. 

I switch to PHP version 7.4 and the log in screen works and lets me access the back office. 

Then swtich it back to PHP 7.2 so the back office works once im in. 

Its like they programmed it using two differnet versions or something or are in the middle of upgrading it, ive no idea but thats how I got over this issue. 
Kinda concerned that this will give me issues down the line once I have the shop fully built and stocked up.

Marc