How much memory limit

Wert

Hello all,

the server has 32GB ram and there are 2 Prestashop systems running on the server.

1. prestashop has memory limit 512MB

2. prestashop has memory limit 256MB

I would like to know the maximum MB I can set for the 1st Prestashop which has 512MB.

Hi, 

Are you running a dedicated server? Even if you do, the 32 GB could be virtualization. 

In regards to your question, the Prestashop Memory limit refers per/each PHP process. 

Having it too high wouldn't make sense. I would say that you should increase to 1024 max 2MB in case your run some heavy Amazon Sync jobs, but if that's not the case than avoid it. 

Imagine you add 2Mb,a nd you run 2 PHP processes over 1MB - the 3rd process will kill your server for sure. There is a more complex calculation in regards to the MB /visitor ratio, but having a too high MB can kill your Apache at the end(just ask your server) 

In case you face some CPU issue, rather ask your hosting to provide you with a slow_querry_log, teh same applies on an Nginx server you can check each process.

I hope my answer helps you a  bit ;) 

Regards, 

Leo

Edited by Leo @ Prestachamps (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It's generally good not to use too much memory, as it can lead to high server use during a potential attack.

With that said, PrestaShop can sometimes use a lot of memory, especially in backoffice functions.

You can set one limit for the main site, and another to the /admin folder you use, which is higher if you need.

Did you run into any memory issues?

For most front ends, 256, and definitely 512 should be enough.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

thank you both for answering.

Before the memory limit was -1
We had problems with ddos attacks.
After that we made the memory limit 512MB.
runs without problems.

I just wanted to know if it makes sense to do more.
But if 512MB is enough, let's leave it like this.

Our server is as follows:

Intel® Xeon® E3-1230 v6

32 GB RAM

480 GB SSD