[FREE MODULE] Vatchecker

This module checks a customers VAT number with the Offical VIES database.

If the customer has a valid VAT number, the customer will be added to a (chosen) customer group.

If a customer is not from the EU, nothing will happen. If a customer is from the same country as your shop, nothing will happen. So this module is made according to the european intra-Community supply rules.

HOWTO:

1. Create a new customer group, all the customers in this group will have 0 tax (name advice: NO TAX)
  2. Download and install the module.
  3. In the module configuration select the customer group that you just created (NO TAX)
  4. In the module configuration select your origin country

Not mandatory
To make it obligation to fill in a tax number do the following:

• In the back office go to Customers > Addresses
  • Open the dropdown button "Set required fields for this selection"
  • Enable "vat_number" and save

If you have any ideas/updates you can also make a branch on GITHUB
DOWNLOAD:  vatchecker.zip

Updates

• 1.0.1  - The selected customer group now automatically has 0 tax (if VAT is validated)
  • 1.0.2  - Update for none EU countries and empty vat number still adding to 0 tax group

Edited by Inform-All (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, Inform-All said:

If the customer has a valid VAT number, the customer will be added to a (chosen) customer group.

If a customer is not from the EU, nothing will happen. If a customer is from the same country as your shop, nothing will happen. So this module is made according to the european intra-Community supply rules.

vatchecker.zip 113.23 kB · 4 downloads

If I am understading, your module assign client to a group, but how can special VAT tax rule be applied to that group?

4 hours ago, tutulino said:

If I am understading, your module assign client to a group, but how can special VAT tax rule be applied to that group?

Yeah, i did not include this in the module itself, because it requires a override. 
But i've added it into version 1.0.1 so cheers for pointing that out to me.

Nice module, but add also the option to not move to a specific Group.

What about guests and real customers groups?
Based on your featuer you need to have a Guest NoTAX and Customer NoTAX groups based on the registration (guest or customer) to have a separate view.

thanks

Edited by Hart (see edit history)

On 9/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, Hart said:

Nice module, but add also the option to not move to a specific Group.

What about guests and real customers groups?
Based on your featuer you need to have a Guest NoTAX and Customer NoTAX groups based on the registration (guest or customer) to have a separate view.

thanks

If you don't want the customers to be in a specific group, you can select your shop's default customer group.

And i was wondering, if a customer is a Guest or a Customer they still don't have to pay taxes. I could make it, but why?

20 minutes ago, nailandlash said:

Hi! Does it work for 1.6.0.9 ot 1.7.6.4? Thanks

I created it for PS1.7.x and i have not tested it for PS1.6 (and i won't, since PS1.6 is not supported anymore)
But feel free to give it a try.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:58 AM, Inform-All said:

If you don't want the customers to be in a specific group, you can select your shop's default customer group.

And i was wondering, if a customer is a Guest or a Customer they still don't have to pay taxes. I could make it, but why?

well if a customer purchase in guest mode (no registration) with your module is impossible to divide guests from registered.

That was my idea to create 2 different destination.

Good morning

In my online store based on Prestashop version 1.7.6.7. I plan to sell products without VAT to companies whose EU VAT number allows you to purchase with a 0% rate. All products are subject to the standard rate of 23% VAT. Will the module allow automatic switching for companies from the European Union whose VAT meets the 0% rate and purchases at the 0% rate? For Poland and other countries whose does not meet EU VAT the rate would be 23%. Will this mod work?

I will be grateful for your response. It is not clear to me.

1 minute ago, sylwekb said:

Good morning

In my online store based on Prestashop version 1.7.6.7. I plan to sell products without VAT to companies whose EU VAT number allows you to purchase with a 0% rate. All products are subject to the standard rate of 23% VAT. Will the module allow automatic switching for companies from the European Union whose VAT meets the 0% rate and purchases at the 0% rate? For Poland and other countries whose does not meet EU VAT the rate would be 23%. Will this mod work?

I will be grateful for your response. It is not clear to me.

This is correct, if you make a customer group that does has 0% tax, this module check online if the VAT number is correct and then puts the customer in that group.

Yes, create a new group name it something like "No tax group" (it's up to you if you want to show tax or not).
Then when you install the module, and select this group inside the VATCHECKER module, it automatically sets the group to 0% tax.

Just now, sylwekb said:

Can Poland be excluded from this VAT 0 rate in the module? In my country, I have to sell at 23% VAT.

Yes, inside the module "VATCHECKER" you can set your shop's origin country. If a customer is from that country i't won't be placed in the 0% tax customer group.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You, I updated.

Is there a field under Company name in the customer order form "Identification number" which, after correctly entering the EU VAT number, will allow you to validate the 0% rate?

2 minutes ago, sylwekb said:

Thank You, I updated.

Is there a field under Company name in the customer order form "Identification number" which, after correctly entering the EU VAT number, will allow you to validate the 0% rate?

If you mean VAT number, it should be in the store by default.
Unless you have a custom theme it should be available.

4 minutes ago, sylwekb said:

I understand that entering a valid EU VAT number in the "Identification number" field will automatically transfer the customer to customer groups with 0% rate?

That is correct.

5 hours ago, sylwekb said:

To have 0% VAT, the customer must fill in these 2 fields? I have a B2B store.

If i understand your question correctly, you want to make VAT number a mandatory field upon ordering?
In the back office go to Customers > Addresses and then "Set required fields for this selection" here you can select the required fields for an address.

Do customers have to enter the VAT number to obtain EU 0% VAT?

What is the identification number field. Is it also an EU VAT field? I would like customers not to get confused when filling in, so that everything is clear.

vatnumber.jpg

Just now, prestapp said:

I'm using PS 1.7.6.7.

I see an installation error:

Ooops ... Loading failed.
What happened? Try again

Any solutions?

Thank you

Please turn on "Debug Mode" and share the response with me. (Prefered in a private message, to keep the forum clean)

10 minuti fa, sylwekb dice:

Ho avuto lo stesso problema. L'ho risolto in questo modo. Ho decompresso l'archivio, ho cambiato il nome della directory da vatchecker-master a vatcheker, l'ho reimballato e ho installato la mod.

Installation ok.

Thanks

33 minuti fa, Inform-All dice:

Attiva la "Modalità debug" e condividi la risposta con me. (Preferito in un messaggio privato, per mantenere pulito il forum)

Hi,
I've many problems with your module:
1. After installation your module the prices are always TAX exclude for all users.
I'm try to change the customer data (with and without VAT number) but the price is ever TAX exclude.
When I disable il modulo the prices are correct.

2. The European VIES check don' works
3. The VAT field is not obligatory
Thank you

54 minutes ago, prestapp said:

Hi,
I've many problems with your module:
1. After installation your module the prices are always TAX exclude for all users.
I'm try to change the customer data (with and without VAT number) but the price is ever TAX exclude.
When I disable il modulo the prices are correct.

2. The European VIES check don' works
3. The VAT field is not obligatory
Thank you

I just updated the initial forum post, Please read the instruction carefully.

41 minuti fa, Inform-All dice:

I just updated the initial forum post, Please read the instruction carefully.

Hi,
now the module work with your setting but the "vat number" can't to be always required because I sell also to customers without a Vat number (private customers).

There is another solution to have the "vat number" required also for Italian vat when the Company field when compiled?

Thank you

Hi,

I found a problem. I'm from Italy but is the customers is in UE (ex. Francia) , are showed the prices without VAT but is not correct.
Also the customers from FRANCE are assign to the NO VAT group.

Thank you
Regards

Edited by prestapp (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, Inform-All said:

First of all, thank you very much for your module.
It have a lot of useful features.

I have a question on this point:

If I make the field mandatory, it will asked to the "normal user" without a VAT number I think. It is correct?

Then, I've tryed to register an account, and if I compile the COMPANY field end leave blank VAT field, the user will be registered and moved in the Group without taxes, but no alert will show to request to compile the VAT number. Is possible to make mandatory the VAT number if you compile the COMPANY field?

Thanks a lot.

We will make a donation for sure!
Regards
Erik

1 hour ago, it@arcastudio.it said:

Hi Erik,
I am a bit confused by your question. Please elaborate.

You can make the company name also a required field for users, same way as a VAT number.
And the Official VIES database does not have all the company names filled in properly, that's why the module can't check the VAT number and company name link.

Hello, and thanks for your response. I'll try to explain better.
My shop is in Italy, and sell in Europe to Company (with VAT number) and to "normal customers" (without a VAT number)

Scenario
I'm a Company buying on the shop; 
registering an account, if I write the Name of my Company  in the "Company" field, the module move me to the "NOTAX user group",only  if my VAT number is verified from VIES. Right?
But if I register the account and Insert the Company name leaving blank the VAT number,  I want that the form alert me, that the VAT number is mandatory. If I'm not wrong, now is possible to register a Company account, without insert VAT number, and this is a problem.
I know, that I can transform in mandatory the VAT field form the address preferences of Prestashop, but If I make this modification, than the VAT number will be mandatory for the normal customer (not company) than have not a Vat number.

Regards

Erik

30 minutes ago, it@arcastudio.it said:

Hello, and thanks for your response. I'll try to explain better.
My shop is in Italy, and sell in Europe to Company (with VAT number) and to "normal customers" (without a VAT number)

Scenario
I'm a Company buying on the shop; 
registering an account, if I write the Name of my Company  in the "Company" field, the module move me to the "NOTAX user group",only  if my VAT number is verified from VIES. Right?
But if I register the account and Insert the Company name leaving blank the VAT number,  I want that the form alert me, that the VAT number is mandatory. If I'm not wrong, now is possible to register a Company account, without insert VAT number, and this is a problem.
I know, that I can transform in mandatory the VAT field form the address preferences of Prestashop, but If I make this modification, than the VAT number will be mandatory for the normal customer (not company) than have not a Vat number.

Regards

Erik

This requires quite some coding. Currently this is not available in Prestashop (or my module).

Hello!

This module is very interesting, my only problem is following:

Activate Module: YES
Origin: France
Valid VAT Group: HT

When I create a Belgian delivery address without a VAT number the contact is still moved in the Valid VAT Group - in this case the customer should stay in the Standard group, no?

9 minutes ago, JeanCri68 said:

Hello!

This module is very interesting, my only problem is following:

Activate Module: YES
Origin: France
Valid VAT Group: HT

When I create a Belgian delivery address without a VAT number the contact is still moved in the Valid VAT Group - in this case the customer should stay in the Standard group, no?

Hello!

I've just logged to report exactly the same problem. Origin: Italy, but everyone outside Italy doesn't pay taxes, even if the leave the field VAT blank and this is not how it's supposed to work, I think.

Regards

15 hours ago, Inform-All said:

Just checked your bug reports, and fixed them all in versions 1.0.2 you can download this from the first post of the topic.
Let me know what you think! :)

Thanks,  I Confirm that now is possible register from USA.

About the check on VIES fot the VAT NUmbers:
I've made 2 test, one for France and one for Germany, if I compile the VAtNumber field with a single number, example "1" or "2", and Save, no error will be displayed, but the Vat Number are not valid for sure! :)

Thanks for your support.
I'm working on an override to check and alert that the Vat Number is void if a Company name is entered; then I'll share with you.
(addrss-form.tpl and CustomerAddressFormatter.php are the file to modify)

Best Regards
Erik

1 hour ago, it@arcastudio.it said:

Thanks,  I Confirm that now is possible register from USA.

About the check on VIES fot the VAT NUmbers:
I've made 2 test, one for France and one for Germany, if I compile the VAtNumber field with a single number, example "1" or "2", and Save, no error will be displayed, but the Vat Number are not valid for sure! :)

Thanks for your support.
I'm working on an override to check and alert that the Vat Number is void if a Company name is entered; then I'll share with you.
(addrss-form.tpl and CustomerAddressFormatter.php are the file to modify)

Best Regards
Erik

I'm not sure what you mean by "Vat Number is void if a Company name is entered".

I've made a really small edit in the github for your issue if a filled in vat number is exactly 1 digit, not worth a new version so small ;)

Next update will be a check every time a order is made if the address is correct.
Because if a company changes address it might have 0% tax anymore

14 minutes ago, Inform-All said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Vat Number is void if a Company name is entered".

I've made a really small edit in the github for your issue if a filled in vat number is exactly 1 digit, not worth a new version so small ;)

Next update will be a check every time a order is made if the address is correct.
Because if a company changes address it might have 0% tax anymore

I'll retry:
Vat Number is left blank,  but a Company name is entered.

Regards
Erik

21 hours ago, JeanCri68 said:

Today the Belgian VAT system seems to be down, VIES is confirming, but on my website I got a 500 error when checking such a number, is there something you could improve?

Good call! 
Will make an update for this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have PS 1.7.6.9., and i tried to download vatchecker from the link in this page, but link is not working.

I went to Github to download but no releases were available, so i downloaded from the master the zip file. When uploading this module a 500 error occurs. I tried changing the zip file name removing master and then upload again, but same error happens!

This is the error i got:

Oops! An Error Occurred
The server returned a "500 Internal Server Error".
Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Did i got the correct file? Or did i got code files and not release files?

I'm using PHP 7.2, that is the one compatible with my PS version. Is there any PHP extension required that i must enable?

Please help.

Sorry for the several posts.

I talked too soon!

Vatchecker works fine at verifying VAT at VIES system, but if a client after creating his invoice address (same of delivery or not) creates a new address within the country of origin of the store, because he is already as a zero VAT group client, he will have zero VAT, even if he's buying for himself at the same country and not even for a company!

Other point i realized is that if in clients pattern groups within PS we choose to show prices with VAT, vatchecker does notihing to prices maintaining them with tax included, even if clients are registering for the first time with company and valid VIES Vat for the country. Another point is if the client wants to buy without VAT but he has no company, he can put anything at the company's description and a VIES valid vat from his country that he searched on the internet.

What are your thoughts about this?
Probably zero vat addresses with valid VIES VAT and company description should be first approved by the store, and then, only approved address should have zero vat and not the client himself!  I do not see an easy way to make this function properly in a fully automatic way!

Kind regards,

Unfortunately i'm not a good PHP coder, just a newbie, but i think I can help.

I readed all the posts and a possible way to solve them is:

1. Since the VIES Client will have at least two groups, one is the VAT free group and the other is the Standard PS Client (non VAT free) group, you can associate the invoice address of the client to the use of one of this groups.
  2. Everytime a client creates or edits an invoice address,  vatchecker will verify in the VIES system and assigns the correct group to that address
  3. When a client chooses one address over another, vatchecker will activates the corresponding group, and with it the VAT policy (free or not) changing in real time prices and totals of the display and invoice.
  4. Vatchecker would need also a checkbox somewhere that allows webmaster to disable the VAT free group to a specific client that proved not to be the real company mentioned at the address, and that would over-ride the vatchecker group associating procedure of editing and creating address. 
  5. Other thing i think it would be best to change, is that products and values (per item and totals) should have the "no tax" or "tax not included" tag, instead of the "tax included" or "vat included" tag, because this secound option is confusing for the client. Of course several languages must have same type of tags. 

I hope i helped. It's really a very good module, but i think that with this modifications it will be extraordinary!

Kind Regards

I find PrestaShop vatnumber module to handle addresses correctly.

It doesn't add customer to special groups and I think that is more correct as VAT exempt is not a customer property but property of every order and it depends what address is used.

I am not pro ecomercer so might miss out something. Please share your thoughts.

4 hours ago, kristaps_r said:

I find PrestaShop vatnumber module to handle addresses correctly.

It doesn't add customer to special groups and I think that is more correct as VAT exempt is not a customer property but property of every order and it depends what address is used.

I am not pro ecomercer so might miss out something. Please share your thoughts.

The problem with that module is, it does not allow instant 0% tax on a order. And it's not updated. It does check if a customer filled in a valid VAT number, but then it simply does nothing.

18 hours ago, Inform-All said:

The problem with that module is, it does not allow instant 0% tax on a order. And it's not updated. It does check if a customer filled in a valid VAT number, but then it simply does nothing.

What do you mean by "instant" 0% tax?

For me it is operating as expected since 2015 on PS1.6 and now on 1.7

• Local private customers and companies have tax applied
  • EU private customers and companies without VAT have tax applied
  • EU companies with VAT and anyone from other countries get 0%

I have created test customer with all varieties of adresses and every time I change address I get correct VAT in my cart.

Haven't noticed any problem in years so not sure it needs updating. Logic seams dead simple enough not to have bugs in module.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:59 AM, kristaps_r said:

What do you mean by "instant" 0% tax?

For me it is operating as expected since 2015 on PS1.6 and now on 1.7

• Local private customers and companies have tax applied
  • EU private customers and companies without VAT have tax applied
  • EU companies with VAT and anyone from other countries get 0%

I have created test customer with all varieties of adresses and every time I change address I get correct VAT in my cart.

Haven't noticed any problem in years so not sure it needs updating. Logic seams dead simple enough not to have bugs in module.

Ok. 

Thanks kristaps_r

I have tried Vatnumber module as you suggested and works fine!

I also agree it needs no updating, but I just made a little tweak in code to accept vat numbers not present in VIES system, with VAT in this case different from 0% (In Portugal some clients want to put their VAT number for personal IRS purposes) 

This tweak and the ability to re-analyse the VAT in Vies system on address editing would be the two only things needed.

Already using this module!

Thanks!

Hi, I have problem:  This show me after added address, Vat Number, Name Company and click "Continue" and then have :

"1/1) ClassNotFoundException

Attempted to load class "SoapClient" from the global namespace.
Did you forget a "use" statement?"

vatcheckerproblem.JPG

Edited by Sleeep (see edit history)

Hi

First of all, thank you for this free module!

EDIT: I was too tired to do all the thinking I should have. Never mind. Module works great 🙂

I am sure I have something wrong in settings, but I created a customer (frontend) and put a correct VAT Number and chose a country different than the shop origin.
Nothing is happening. The customer is still in default customer group and taxes are being applied to the cart.
Can I check if the VIES check went through correctly?
Also, what happens if the customer puts a space between the country code of the VAT number and the actual number? And does the customer see a confirmation for the validation check?
For me nothing like that is showing. PS 1.7.6 btw.

Even if I assign the customer to my "VAT Free" customer group manually nothing changes. Should I set the group to not use taxes in calculations some where? Can`t find a place for that.

Kind Regards
Sarah

Edited by salouso
Silly me (see edit history)

HI again

So I did find something that`s not right.

When a customer registers with VAT Number inside my country, its corretctly showing with VAT.  THen that customer changes his address and moves to outside my country and puts in a valid VAT Number still everything is fine and shop shows without VAT. But then the adress gets changed back to a invalid VAT or a valid one inside my country, but this time the order is still VAT free.

So basically when a customer has once been added to the VAT free customer group and then doesn`t have a valid VAT number anymore or moves somewhere else, the VAT free group stays attached. I think that should not be the case, as that kind of defeats the purpose of the module. Should the module not check the VAT number and country in combination everytime an order gets placed?

Kind Regards,
Sarah

16 minutes ago, salouso said:

HI again

So I did find something that`s not right.

When a customer registers with VAT Number inside my country, its corretctly showing with VAT.  THen that customer changes his address and moves to outside my country and puts in a valid VAT Number still everything is fine and shop shows without VAT. But then the adress gets changed back to a invalid VAT or a valid one inside my country, but this time the order is still VAT free.

So basically when a customer has once been added to the VAT free customer group and then doesn`t have a valid VAT number anymore or moves somewhere else, the VAT free group stays attached. I think that should not be the case, as that kind of defeats the purpose of the module. Should the module not check the VAT number and country in combination everytime an order gets placed?

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Hi Sarah, 

This is correct. This is a known bug and will be fixed in a future version.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sleeep said:

Hi, I have problem:  This show me after added address, Vat Number, Name Company and click "Continue" and then have :

"1/1) ClassNotFoundException

Attempted to load class "SoapClient" from the global namespace.
Did you forget a "use" statement?"

vatcheckerproblem.JPG

HI, someone help me?

• 1 month later...
On 7.9.2020 at 17:17, Inform-All said:

Wenn Sie Ideen / Updates haben, können Sie auch einen Zweig auf GITHUB

Maybe it is a good idea that also in the invoice we have the 0% Tax and a not that this client not pays tax because of the EU Law pararaph XXX.

Becuase in the normal invoice we also have the tax rate. See screenshots 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-20 um 16.12.15.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-20 um 16.12.28.png

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
Le 07/09/2020 à 5:17 PM, Inform-All a dit :

HOWTO:

1. Create a new customer group, all the customers in this group will have 0 tax (name advice: NO TAX)
  2. Download and install the module.
  3. In the module configuration select the customer group that you just created (NO TAX)
  4. In the module configuration select your origin country

Not mandatory

DOWNLOAD:  vatchecker.zip

Updates

• 1.0.1  - The selected customer group now automatically has 0 tax (if VAT is validated)
  • 1.0.2  - Update for none EU countries and empty vat number still adding to 0 tax group

Hi,

Your module is really amazing and looks like fixing a regression with VAT in PS 1.7.7.2

Thank you very much

EDIT : it coud be nice to add an option in the module configuration (checkbox) to set the default customer's group to the "NO VAT" group created as required by the module. (could be nice to display taxes excluded prices in the FO as set in the NO TAX group)

Edited by barbaboucle (see edit history)