change primary domain but keep same domain host

Naisy 7

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some advice please? I have rebranded my PS site for a new business and wish to change my primary domain but keep my same domain host (siteground). I am not a developer and don't know how to code - is this something I can risk doing on my own?! My current active domain name is registered with name cheap and the new one that I want to use is registered with godaddy. Site ground have given me simple instructions to follow to change the domain name but say the site will prob go down for up to 72 hours. I realise that I will also need to update SEO and URL page and presume I need to do something with my new domain name at godaddy - but what? I don't know which order to do things and I worry thatI won't be able to access my site afterwards. I have read a few threads about changing primary domain and read that I need to do a few things:  'reconfigure prestashop applications' - not sure what this means specifically unless this refers to SEO and URL page? I also need to point new domain to website on server - is this through siteground (host) or godaddy (registrar)? My main concern is that I have read that files do not always get moved - is this correct? My site template was modified quite a lot by developers with coding. I then need to sort out new email address! Any help would be much appreciated since I need to open my click n collect store asap , many thanks! 

- go down for up to 72 hours

Usually the new url will work within an hour

- this refers to SEO and URL page

Indeed, that is only thing you need to change.

Besides that you should clean the cache and regenerate .htaccess.

There are many pages about moving a Prestashop webshop. Study them.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply. I have been worrying about this for days now. I have already been scrawling through much info out there for weeks but cannot seem to find the answer there. Would you change the primary domain first and then change the SEO and URL afterwards? 

- you should clean the cache and regenerate .htaccess.       What does the regenerate part mean please? I know how to clean the cache in back office, if this is what you are referring to but not the second thing?  Many thanks.  Looking it up now, thanks

Edited by Naisy 7 (see edit history)

@Naisy 7 - just my two cents, namecheap are far better than go dadaddy.

As musicmaster already described, it's usually a very quick process that should take no longer than 30 minutes (if you have done it before).

The records and host move replicate pretty quickly, if you need to unlock your domain, that could actually take some time, usually a few hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your help musicmaster and pixelicous! I have only had the time to change it today and did have a few probs initially with my logo and a few images not moving but got some help and as far as I can tell it looks okay! 😄 

• Like 1