PS 1.6: order status, when "allow order" is set, goes to payment accepted right away

As the title says, I wonder why I cannot find anything related on google to the problem I'm facing in several different shops. If the quantity of a product is 0 and "allow order" is set in the quantities and someone orders this product the order status is set immediately to payment accepted instead of the order status that should present itself depending on the payment module used. This happens independent of which carrier or payment method I select.

Any one got an idea where and how to fix it? And don't tell me to upgrade to the even buggier looking 1.7 version :'D I tried but the errors I get with the migration addon from Prestashop themselves are ridiculous already (who would have thought). Reminds me of the millions of bugs in 1.6... Guess I'll have to find something completely different at some point in time but we developed several other tools that depend on prestashop database layout so I'll stick with 1.6 as long as possible.

Any helps much appreciated :D