CLS issue: more than 0.25 (desktop)

Nagrad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I honestly hope someone senior who is in charge of Prestashop development will take note in fixing this CLS issue. It is a major issue that will cause a big fall in Google rankings when the Google Page Experience update is released

Google is rolling out their major Page Experience update in a few months. 

If Prestashop does not fix this, all Prestashop owners will suffer a drop in rankings because of this Prestashop software issue. 

Just imagine this:

Your competitor and your website have both similar quality content and backlinks. But because your website has CLS issue, your website is ranked below your competitor. This is what will happen when the Google Page Experience update rolls out. 

If Prestashop wants to compete with Shopify, Woocommerce, Magento, Big Commerce, Zencart and other shopping cart platforms, this is a major issue to rectify. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, loveps said:

I honestly hope someone senior who is in charge of Prestashop development will take note in fixing this CLS issue. It is a major issue that will cause a big fall in Google rankings when the Google Page Experience update is released

Google is rolling out their major Page Experience update in a few months. 

If Prestashop does not fix this, all Prestashop owners will suffer a drop in rankings because of this Prestashop software issue. 

Just imagine this:

Your competitor and your website have both similar quality content and backlinks. But because your website has CLS issue, your website is ranked below your competitor. This is what will happen when the Google Page Experience update rolls out. 

If Prestashop wants to compete with Shopify, Woocommerce, Magento, Big Commerce, Zencart and other shopping cart platforms, this is a major issue to rectify. 

I totally agree. Something strange happened to our shop. All of a sudden (it happened in one day, end of October) our CLS score for desktop on all pages increased to 0,12 and we have no idea how to fix this!

Please advise!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[SOLVED] 

I had high CLS in mobile (Prestashop 1.7.7.8). The solution was to use aspect ratio boxes (https://css-tricks.com/aspect-ratio-boxes/). I added the following CSS code in /themes/child_classic/assets/css/custom.css (I'm using child theme):

.images-container {
  height: 0;
  overflow: hidden;
  padding-top: 100%;
  background: white;
  position: relative;
}

.product-cover {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
}

Now CLS is 0.012 (Mobile) and 0.002 (Desktop) in PageSpeed Insights. This is a partial solution as in desktop view the thumbnail carousel at the bottom of the main product image is hidden (for products that have more than one image). Possibly the best option is to update to version 1.7.8.x of Prestashop, which improves the CLS and other parameters that Google requires.

Edited by TecMikro (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

We found after upgrade to PS 8.0 we started getting CLS issues on mobile pages only and they were significant (>0.5).  This code seems to have fixed it... so it looks like PS may have regressed after 8.0 because we never had any issues with PS 1.7