Clone a prestashop site to another

1) Just copy all the files on your server into a new directory or server (if on the same server, then add the new domain as an add-on domain via CPanel)

2) Create a new DB (also via CPanel)

3) Edit the settings.inc.php file in the Config directory to point at the new DB

4) Regenerate the .htaccess file

I do it all the time when building my Test site.

Tip: Prestashop can generate a crap load of image files so you may need to go directly into CPanel* to transfer them all off, FTP sometimes doesn't work even though you think it has. I went insane trying to figure out why all my images weren't being downloaded even though it told me that they were.

*CPanel > Backups > Home Directory

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HI V.I.P.,

Your explanation makes a lot of sense to me however:

I did the point 1, 2 and 3 with no problem. and the site runs locally on my apache server ...but not fully correctly. The links are indeed always pointing to the actual (in production) http://www.xx sites instead of localhost.

I guess it is due to the .htaccess which I cannot regenerate because when try to acess the Control panel ...the link is send me to the http://www.xxx real site..

Any help regarding this issue??
Thanks a lot!

Lionel

I mean when I go to localhost/shop everything charges nearly correctly except that all images and link are pointing to the original website.
Also when I try to charge backoffice page by going to localhost/shop/Admin it opens the http://www.myshop.be/shop/Admin on the real website.

I though changed the variable PS_BASE_URI in the setting.inc.php of my local installation...but somehow it seems like it doesn't really take it into account.

Thanks a lot for your responsiveness.

I think it might interesting to make a small 5 steps procedures to explain how 1) create a test environment from production 2) to put test environment changes directly into the production environment. because I saw this question every now and then on the web with no clear answer.

• 5 years later...

@noesac: if you do that all the time, why don't you mention that also the database table ps_shop_url has to be changed?

If you move your prestashop to another directory, the value of physical_uri has to be changed accordingly!

• 8 months later...

1. Copy all files via FTP

2. Duplicate database to other hoster

3. check the php settings at your new hoster!! (PS <= 1.6.1.3 is not yet PHP7 ready! so you wont see anything in these cases)

3. open Database and edit "ps_shop_url". Set the new path and domain for your new shop

4. edit config/defines.inc.php and set the new database access

5. delete the .htaccess file in your shops root folder

6. login to the admin backend and go to settings > seo & urls and save the path and domain properties to create a new .htaccess file (after creating the new .htaccess file you will be able to view/use the frontend of the shop, not earlier as it contains all necessary info it needs to translate the friendly urls of the shop frontend)

• 4 years later...