Upgrade Error - Ajax / Server Error for action unzip - Service Unavailable

I am trying to upgrade from 1.6.1.20 to 1.7.6.4

I am on Godaddy Deluxe shared hosting with cpanel

despite the error message, zip is enabled in PHP, which is version 7.1.

Below is the full error - which occurs on unzipping the initial download, so it hasn't actually changed any files yet.

Note that the time between "Now extracting" and the error is exactly 5 minutes. It would appear I am hitting a 5-minute timeout on the extraction. However, the PHP setting - as reported in the 1-click upgrade screen - is 1000 seconds (16.66 minutes).

Note that I already tried disabling both backup options as stated in another post.

In case this comes into play, godaddy deluxe shared hosting has limits of 512MB RAM and 1MB/sec I/O. These two limits appear to spike during the attempt. No other limits are reached.

No errors are generated in the Godaddy error log.

How do I fix this?

Full text:

Analyzing the situation...Shop deactivated. Now downloading... (this can take a while)Download complete. Now extracting...[Ajax / Server Error for action unzip] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Service Unavailable " jqXHR: "

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

"

Edited by madmartian (see edit history)