Upgrading 1.7.6.1 to 1.7.6.4 via 1-Click Upgrade Module

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade via 1-Click upgrade module a website from 1.7.6.1 to 1.7.6.4. This website uses a Movic Leo Theme and with that are a few Theme Modules. All other Modules are from Prestashop.

I was wondering what I should select in the Option "Disable non-native modules" of the 1-Click Upgrade Module. I am concerned that if I leave this option set to Yes, my website will no longer work with the Leo Theme and its modules.

Can you please let me know what the best option is for this website?

Thanks,

Adri

"Movic Leo Theme" should be affected by the choice of "Upgrade/Switch to the default theme" in 1-click upgrade. non-native modules refers to those free/paid modules.

You can also re-enable non-native modules after upgrade. I used Prestashop's Default Classic Theme. After I upgrade, I have to re-apply the custom.css (Customized font, color, bullet type...) as well.  I usually backup what I have before upgrade. In your case, you have to prepare to re-apply your theme after upgrade, e.g. export or backup your theme.

You never know what is the result of the 1-click upgrade as it depends on how many additional module/customization you have in your system. Although, 1-click upgrade is MUCH more stable than in 1.6.x and 1.7.3 ... Also surprise you ...

However, you better CLONE your production system and upgrade the CLONED one as a rehearsal. This is my practice even on minor upgrade ... ...

Cheers, hope this helps !!

David

• Like 1

Thank you David for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

I am new to Prestashop and this is my first upgrade and it sounds scary, in terms of time required to process a minor upgrade. This seems a shortfall on what otherwise seems a good product.

In this Forum there are instructions on cloning a site, but they are really referring to older versions of Prestashop. Is the Cloning procedure described there still valid? Otherwise, what is the simplest way to clone the website.

Thanks again,

Adri

4 hours ago, AdriC said:

Thank you David for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

I am new to Prestashop and this is my first upgrade and it sounds scary, in terms of time required to process a minor upgrade. This seems a shortfall on what otherwise seems a good product.

In this Forum there are instructions on cloning a site, but they are really referring to older versions of Prestashop. Is the Cloning procedure described there still valid? Otherwise, what is the simplest way to clone the website.

Thanks again,

Adri

Here's my procedure. Please review it carefully BEFORE use. Take your OWN risk in using it

My production site is in subfolder www.mysite.com/shop

I have TWO testing sites, one completely cloned copy from production (e.g. testshop) and one fleshly installation of 1.7.6.4 (for testing  whether it is issue on standalone installation.)

Procedure in cloning Pretashop 1.7 installation from Production site to Testing site

Production site
===============
Shop URL: www.mysite.com/shop

Shop Database user: Shop-dbuser

Testing site

==========
Testing URL: www.mysite.com/testshop

Testing Database user: Testing-dbuser

Steps:
======
Data migration,
1. Database level:
 - Copy ALL tables in Shop-dbuser to Testing-dbuser
2. File/Folder level : Copy all under shop to testshop

Upon completion of Step 1 & 2
3. Files/Directory Alternation
3.1 Modify testshop/.htaccess ( for appearance of old directory name "shop")
3.2 Modify "testshop/app/config/parameters.php for DB NAME, DBUSER and DB password (Shop-dbuser to Testing-dbuser)
4. Data alternation in Database
4.1 UPDATE `XXX_shop_url` SET `physical_uri` = '/testingshop/' ; (it was 'shop', and XXX table prefix)
4.2 Removing OLD footprint, To clear this tables: ps_connections, ps_connections_page, ps_connections_source, ps_pagenotfound, ps_page_viewed, ps_search_index, ps_search_word, ps_statssearch
4.3 regenerated the .htaccess and robots.txt file if needed

Verification:

1. Access the cloned site Back Office

at www.mysite.com/testshop/adminXXX

2. Access the cloned site Front Office

at www.mysite.com/testshop

• Like 1

Thank you David,

I really appreciate you sharing your instructions, and I am sure these will be valuable to many others going forward, thank you.

Thank you also El Patron for your link.

I just want to report that I have been able to clone the site successfully, by executing the following instructions:

1 - Enable maintenance mode and disable smarty cache and cache system. (Restore as before when backup is done)

2 - Backup database

3 - Create new database and load your back-up to this new database

4 - Deleted the following tables (my names had a slightly different prefix)

ps_connections, ps_connections_page, ps_connections_source, ps_pagenotfound, ps_page_viewed, ps_search_index, ps_search_word, ps_statssearch

5 - Cloned the Website Folder. I did not use a Subfolder, but placed at my root top level and created a new Subdomain to point to this new cloned folder

6 -  Deleted  all files and folders in /var/cache/

7 - Changed in your /app/config/parameters.php the database name (and login data if other).

8 - Edited in the new database the following tables/fields values, to match the new subdomain addresses:

ps_configuration -> PS_SHOP_DOMAIN, PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL

And also the following (this was tricky, as it was not mentioned in the locked saved thread, but I found it in another thread). Once multi-store feature was created, the domain information is now stored in

ps_shop_url -> domain, domain_ssl

9 - Changed in the .htaccess each line the old domain to the new one.

10 - Finally cleared Cache in cPanel as well as Browser with Ctrl + F5

I hope the above helps others and I will report back to this thread my findings on the 1-Click upgrade, once I run it on the cloned site. At this stage I am waiting for the client to test the clone and the live site for any issues.

Thank you both so much for all your help.

Cheers,

Adri

2 hours ago, AdriC said:

Thank you David,

I really appreciate you sharing your instructions, and I am sure these will be valuable to many others going forward, thank you.

Thank you also El Patron for your link.

I just want to report that I have been able to clone the site successfully, by executing the following instructions:

1 - Enable maintenance mode and disable smarty cache and cache system. (Restore as before when backup is done)

2 - Backup database

3 - Create new database and load your back-up to this new database

4 - Deleted the following tables (my names had a slightly different prefix)

ps_connections, ps_connections_page, ps_connections_source, ps_pagenotfound, ps_page_viewed, ps_search_index, ps_search_word, ps_statssearch

5 - Cloned the Website Folder. I did not use a Subfolder, but placed at my root top level and created a new Subdomain to point to this new cloned folder

6 -  Deleted  all files and folders in /var/cache/

7 - Changed in your /app/config/parameters.php the database name (and login data if other).

8 - Edited in the new database the following tables/fields values, to match the new subdomain addresses:

ps_configuration -> PS_SHOP_DOMAIN, PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL

And also the following (this was tricky, as it was not mentioned in the locked saved thread, but I found it in another thread). Once multi-store feature was created, the domain information is now stored in

ps_shop_url -> domain, domain_ssl

9 - Changed in the .htaccess each line the old domain to the new one.

10 - Finally cleared Cache in cPanel as well as Browser with Ctrl + F5

I hope the above helps others and I will report back to this thread my findings on the 1-Click upgrade, once I run it on the cloned site. At this stage I am waiting for the client to test the clone and the live site for any issues.

Thank you both so much for all your help.

Cheers,

Adri

You are welcome.

For the point 8, yes if your cloned site on different domain...

Woo. You did good preparation too. This is one of the purpose forum....

Have a fun upgrade journey !

Cheers

Ok, I upgraded both the Cloned version and the live version but on the live version something went wrong towards the end of the upgrade!

I got the following error:

236 files left to upgrade.
All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...
Database upgraded. Now upgrading your Addons modules...
64 modules will be upgraded.
61 modules left to upgrade.
57 modules left to upgrade.
53 modules left to upgrade.
52 modules left to upgrade.
49 modules left to upgrade.
44 modules left to upgrade.
40 modules left to upgrade.
[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeModules] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Gateway Timeout " jqXHR: "
Gateway Timeout

The website seems to be working fine, however I am unsure if there are some underlining issues that might arise in the future.

What shall I do?

Do I revert back via the 1-Click upgrade backup/restore option?

Do I revert back from Website Folder and Database Backup?

Or, do I keep using this website and hope for the best?

Can the modules be upgraded manually? and if so how?

Also, will a future upgrade via 1-Click upgrade fix these potential issues?

I would really appreciate some feedback, as I am not sure what to do.

Thank you in advance,

Adri

3 minutes ago, AdriC said:

Ok, I upgraded both the Cloned version and the live version but on the live version something went wrong towards the end of the upgrade!

I got the following error:

236 files left to upgrade.
All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...
Database upgraded. Now upgrading your Addons modules...
64 modules will be upgraded.
61 modules left to upgrade.
57 modules left to upgrade.
53 modules left to upgrade.
52 modules left to upgrade.
49 modules left to upgrade.
44 modules left to upgrade.
40 modules left to upgrade.
[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeModules] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"Gateway Timeout " jqXHR: "
Gateway Timeout

The website seems to be working fine, however I am unsure if there are some underlining issues that might arise in the future.

What shall I do?

Do I revert back via the 1-Click upgrade backup/restore option?

Do I revert back from Website Folder and Database Backup?

Or, do I keep using this website and hope for the best?

Can the modules be upgraded manually? and if so how?

Also, will a future upgrade via 1-Click upgrade fix these potential issues?

I would really appreciate some feedback, as I am not sure what to do.

Thank you in advance,

Adri

That might be a server resources issue. For me, I will ensure no error during upgrade and TEST the system BEFORE proceed with live system.

That's why I have cloned production system, I rehearsed the upgrade on cloned system. If error occurs, I will revert it and try again with debug mode. That's will reduce the downtime for actual upgrade.

I saw somewhere there is manual upgrade but I never try.