How to avoid SEO disaster? Two versions of the website

ArnasL

Hello!

Des anyone can give me a tip how to do it right way:
I have upgraded my store from 1.6 to 1.7 and now we want to keep both versions alive. www.old.website.com (1.6) and www.website.com (1.7). How to avoid seo disaster and let google know that it is the same website just a two versions and not to brake SEO? Because if I will leave it as it is I think google will start think that www.old.website.com is a dublicate content and will brake my SEO, am I right?

As I said I want to keep them both active. There are some reasons why I need this, it's all about modules support and some clients will more used to use old version.

I just want to know how can I do it correctly to avoid SEO collapse.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, ArnasL said:

Hello!

Des anyone can give me a tip how to do it right way:
I have upgraded my store from 1.6 to 1.7 and now we want to keep both versions alive. www.old.website.com (1.6) and www.website.com (1.7). How to avoid seo disaster and let google know that it is the same website just a two versions and not to brake SEO? Because if I will leave it as it is I think google will start think that www.old.website.com is a dublicate content and will brake my SEO, am I right?

Hello!

a tip??!! this is one of the most complex and delicate operation to do my friend and if you have already done it without following the right procedures you've already made a disaster. First of all you cannot have two websites with same content......no good for mr. G.

The process of an e-commerce migration need a plan...a preparation/planning that go through different phases and must be done by Seo guys period!!...there are too many aspects that are involved...url structure of new site, menu navigation..meta data (those that are generated automatically by default)...etc etc- You need some instruments to crawl the old site to get all urls..but you need also to know what are the url indexed in Google at the moment so you need also scripts to extract serp from G.....you need to check all backlinks!!.....because these one will change!!....you have to operate also in Search Console to comunicate to G the new domain...you have to place redirect in Old site to New site and maintain old domain at least for one year properly redirected..i mean that every page must be redirect to the same content on new site!! Take care to this........but take care to block the new site to robots meanwhile during preparation...Google cannot see the new site!!..check internal linking....check structured data...check G. Analytics tracking with Goals and Events..but there are other aspects to check that i don't remember.....as you can see there is a lot to do:-).....when all is done you go live with new site:-)

2 hours ago, Fabry said:

Hello!

a tip??!! this is one of the most complex and delicate operation to do my friend and if you have already done it without following the right procedures you've already made a disaster. First of all you cannot have two websites with same content......no good for mr. G.

The process of an e-commerce migration need a plan...a preparation/planning that go through different phases and must be done by Seo guys period!!...there are too many aspects that are involved...url structure of new site, menu navigation..meta data (those that are generated automatically by default)...etc etc- You need some instruments to crawl the old site to get all urls..but you need also to know what are the url indexed in Google at the moment so you need also scripts to extract serp from G.....you need to check all backlinks!!.....because these one will change!!....you have to operate also in Search Console to comunicate to G the new domain...you have to place redirect in Old site to New site and maintain old domain at least for one year properly redirected..i mean that every page must be redirect to the same content on new site!! Take care to this........but take care to block the new site to robots meanwhile during preparation...Google cannot see the new site!!..check internal linking....check structured data...check G. Analytics tracking with Goals and Events..but there are other aspects to check that i don't remember.....as you can see there is a lot to do:-).....when all is done you go live with new site:-)

Why you yelling xDD With canonical urls u can have two same websites, do a research mr. smart

4 hours ago, ArnasL said:

Why you yelling xDD With canonical urls u can have two same websites, do a research mr. smart

I question how smart you are, why did you not reply to the reason for doing this?  (see my post above,  please focus).  the way to avoid disaster is not to make a disaster scenario possible.  So I look forward to know why you are creating a disaster then trying to mitigate it.  

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fabry said:

Well if your answer was more educated maybe i could have explained why canonical isn't a good way to go...but it seems you know eveything so go for it and good luck.

love your passion dude, thanks fo

6 hours ago, Fabry said:

Hello!

love your passion and thanks for sharing your years of experience!  all good info's!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Fabry I think you just didn't read my post. All urls from old website and new website are the same. The domain is the same, the website is the same, everything is the same. It is 1:1 copy of the website. The only difference is that old website are accessable via subdomain old.website.com. So, I think it is enough to use canonical link in head. Because Google already crawled my site and it is the same after upgrade, so there is no need to recrawl same information.

21 hours ago, ArnasL said:

@Fabry I think you just didn't read my post. All urls from old website and new website are the same. The domain is the same, the website is the same, everything is the same. It is 1:1 copy of the website. The only difference is that old website are accessable via subdomain old.website.com. So, I think it is enough to use canonical link in head. Because Google already crawled my site and it is the same after upgrade, so there is no need to recrawl same information.

You have ignored everyone telling you there is no way to avoid....ridiculous move on your part...not a thank you, nothing...so your head is buried in sand.

if you this is a  hobby then let us know so people with real experience don't waste their time...

:DD You really funny. Because other experts in PrestaShop group on Slack gave me details what to do. And you lying again, there is always an option to save seo and to avoid seo disaster. That is what I did. Thanks for your time, mr. Arogant and don't waste your time in my post anymore

4 hours ago, ArnasL said:

:DD You really funny. Because other experts in PrestaShop group on Slack gave me details what to do. And you lying again, there is always an option to save seo and to avoid seo disaster. That is what I did. Thanks for your time, mr. Arogant and don't waste your time in my post anymore

experts my butt, developers? let me tell you about a majority non certified PS developers, they will provide a solution to any horrible idea......the addons market place is full of them...they do not care (actually  don't know) what the consequences of their 'solution' actually is.  

what you have is a confederacy of dunces tell you want to hear and you ignore real advices...I'm sure you do not have any serious ecommerce business....so go ahead and do as you please

I'd like to help you out but I don't know what door you came in

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)