Customize layout based on if faceted search or not

Right now for all of our category pages I'm using 2 column layout, small left column and larger right column. The left column shows the Filters (faceted search). The only problem is, some categories just have no filters because those filters just don't apply to that category. So I'm wondering, is there a way to make a conditional if/then statement somewhere to say basically, if faceted search, show 2 column layout, else show full width. Does anyone know if that's possible and if so which .tpl page would I add the code into?

I'm using child theme of the classic theme, but I do have the faceted search module hooked, but I need it hooked so that when there are available filters it shows up. But the problem is, if there are no filters, then the filters don't appear, leaving the left column empty so it looks funny in some categories. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You can use a different template for each category. 

In your theme :

1. Create a template that displays the list of products without the left column :

Copy the file ../catalog/listing/product-list.tpl to ../catalog/listing/product-list-full-width.tpl and change {extends file=$layout} to {extends file='layouts/layout-full-width.tpl'}

2. Create a template for each category :

Copy the file ../catalog/listing/category.tpl to ../catalog/listing/category-{id_category}.tpl (replace id_category with the category id) and change {extends file='catalog/listing/product-list.tpl'} to {extends file='catalog/listing/product-list-full-width.tpl'}

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 3:15 AM, fbenoist.com said:

Hi,

You can use a different template for each category. 

In your theme :

1. Create a template that displays the list of products without the left column :

Copy the file ../catalog/listing/product-list.tpl to ../catalog/listing/product-list-full-width.tpl and change {extends file=$layout} to {extends file='layouts/layout-full-width.tpl'}

2. Create a template for each category :

Copy the file ../catalog/listing/category.tpl to ../catalog/listing/category-{id_category}.tpl (replace id_category with the category id) and change {extends file='catalog/listing/product-list.tpl'} to {extends file='catalog/listing/product-list-full-width.tpl'}

So in step 2, would the file name be category-{55}.tpl ? or whatever the category id is?