[Prestashop 1.7.6.1] Problem generating a large number of product combinations

duccio_wndg

Hi.

I'm building a website for a client and I have a problem when I have to generate product combinations and the number of attributes is quite big.
My client sells custom surfboards and the number of variations you can choose from is pretty large, sometimes it should generate more than 100.000 different combinations.

Seeing how the generation works and how combinations are stored in the database, I can obviously guess why this problem occurs.
Still, I don't understand why Prestashop developers decided to implement such a horrible way to handle product combinations.

I searched a lot for a solution, but didn't found anything except the suggestion to buy a module that should change the whole way prestashop handles product combinations (the name is Attribute Wizard Pro). The fact is, we already bought other modules and made some customizations to adapt and integrate some of them with each other. I'm pretty sure buying another module would mean facing lots of issues and a lot of extra work, aside from maybe throwing a way a lot of things we've already done.

Has anyone faced the same problem and found a solution? I'm really starting to think Prestashop is way worse than I expected, at least since the release of Prestashop 1.7.

Please, let me know if someone can help me.

Duccio

I agree with you that it's a bad practice to make combinations like this.

It results in break when you try to create many of them (unfortunately).
Just think a scenario where we had to make a fast-food menu with over than 25 extra ingredients (sauce, onion, etc). No way of doing (yes-no-no .....).

So we bought a module and did it (like you did).

P.S. This works still like this (since many years ago) but don't hope that you will find something better (out-of-the-box).