Should I continue to build my shop wihout turning ON maintenance mode?

aldeiadogranel

Hi,

My shop went live, but its not finished in terms of contents and a little design details. 

Can I leave it live and continue to work on it through the admin panel, or it may trigger more easily unstable and unpredictible shop behavior? Am I more bound to lose totally or partially my shop If If continue to work in thr admin and don't turn the maintenancce mode on?

Thanks

Thanks a lot musicmaster.

How do I build a separate development shop easy ? I have little programming skills.

I was just changing some existing product features and other options in the backoffice and with the shop online and the backoffice acess disappeared. Also other people I know stopped seing the front office of the shop and instead are seing the maintenance mode page. That's the second time it happens. Error 500 appears. The only thing i know how to do is to go to the Webhosting (OVH.pt) and restore a D-1 backup. 

8 hours ago, aldeiadogranel said:

How do I build a separate development shop easy ?

My preferred way is to install Xampp on my local computer. If it runs you can type "localhost" in the address bar of your browser and your computer will be your own host.

The software that runs on localhost is (on WIndows) by default in the c:\xampp\htdocs directory. You can copy Prestashop there and run its installation routine.

There is one thing that you need to do up front: create a database. You can do that in localhost/phpmyadmin

10 hours ago, musicmaster said:

My preferred way is to install Xampp on my local computer. If it runs you can type "localhost" in the address bar of your browser and your computer will be your own host.

The software that runs on localhost is (on WIndows) by default in the c:\xampp\htdocs directory. You can copy Prestashop there and run its installation routine.

There is one thing that you need to do up front: create a database. You can do that in localhost/phpmyadmin

My webhostinng php version is 7.1 but XAMPO latest version is for 7.3.11. Is it compatible? 

simply create development shop as subdomain and 'other' domain (buy a development domain name)  There are plenty of tutorials on how to then copy your shop files, create a new db, import your prod data and configure your development shop to use the new db etc.  This is a must for any serious business.

as for maint mode;

• it is not necessary 'if' you:
  • set robots.txt file to no-index all (search for how)
  • remove/delete sitemaps from your root web file system (just for extra safety)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:54 PM, El Patron said:

simply create development shop as subdomain and 'other' domain (buy a development domain name)  There are plenty of tutorials on how to then copy your shop files, create a new db, import your prod data and configure your development shop to use the new db etc.  This is a must for any serious business.

as for maint mode;

• it is not necessary 'if' you:
  • set robots.txt file to no-index all (search for how)
  • remove/delete sitemaps from your root web file system (just for extra safety)

I just created a sub domain, thnak you for all the tips and advice. I'll work from that|