Staging possibilities

Hi,

I see a lot of topics containing staging enviroments but they are not clear for me because our webdevelopment agency said me it's not possible. But is it possible with Prestashop 1.7.4.2 t create a staging enviroment. Now all thins which are developed will go live without testing. I think the risks are to big when we are live. 

According to our development agency we have to purchase all add-ons twice. I don't think this would be normal workflow for a proffesional system like Prestashop. 

Thanks for the help.
Kind Regards,
Rutger

Hi Rutger

Welcome to the forum. I do not know why your development agency told you that you have to purchase modules twice. 

You have right to install module on staging environment that is for testing. If you are using Addons marketplace, when you download a module there is this text :

The module or theme you bought is sold with a single licence, you can use it on one website only. Please fill the field below with the website URL on which the module / theme will be installed. You can install it on a test shop, but this must be the URL of the final website.

Here "this" is for URL of your main website. Similar practice is for modules outside of Addons.

You could also try to confirm on https://addons.prestashop.com/en/contact-us

He Razaro,

Thank you for  your quick respons I all ready thought something like that. Otherwise you are taking a big risk.

For the staging we can create a subdomain like staging.domain.com an we can create a copy of the current site and Database to this subdomain? Are there any other configurations in Prestashop to let it know it's staging?

Thanks
Rutger

Yes it is I would say standard practice to have staging/test sub-domain or separate domain.

Most people on other hand do not follow that practice. And like you said it is big risk. Backups helps always.

For example we do make copies of client websites and work on them regarding fixing bugs, new features, testing new modules and so on. But also advise clients to have staging environment on their server as hosting can set few things differently.

For subdomain, make sure you do not link staging website to live/production database. Also you could make store in maintenance mode or have folder password protected.

But sometimes when you need to "open" website, do make sure to change robots.txt to disallow all robots from visiting the staging website.