Upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 affects different directories within the server

So we finally decided to upgrade our store from 1.4 to 1.6, created a separate directory called "/shop" and our live store is at the root. We uploaded the entire website into our new directory "/shop" and it works but redirects the site to the live site "/es" so we proceeded to change the SEO to redirect back to "/shop" but it gives the 404 error and redirects to "eses/". That "es" is the Spanish preference of the website it will always lands on the "Spanish" version of the site.|

The weird thing is that you can access both admin shops individually right through their corresponding domains. The live site can be accessed through "http://www.tivicr.com/admin" whereas the test site can be access through "http://www.tivicr.com/shop/admin". If I access the test website located at "/shop" and change the SEO PS directory to "/shop" and save it, it changes the live shop as well. They are on separated directories so I don't know why a change on one will affect the other one?

Thanks in advance,
AJ

Alright so I am back at my computer and now it all makes perfect sense. The newly backed up site shares the same hosted db as the live site so changes reflect on both. I am gonna create a new one based on the one from the live site, change the settings on "settings.inc" and voilà, on to the next step.

So I created a new db and imported all the info from the live site. It was a nightmare because it had to be broken into several files in order to avoid the script to time out. Anyways, brand new db, changed the setting on settings.inc.php yet it keeps redirecting? What else could it be linking both sites?