1 click upgrade took down my site

I used 1 click upgrade to upgrade from 1.6.0.6 to latest 1.6.1.6 and it failed with a [Ajax / Server Error for action restoreDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:" " jqXHR: " " I rolled back but after 30mins it froze I got blank screens for both front and backoffice. I ftp to the site and most of the admin folder files had gone!! I tried replacing them with files from another 1.6.0.6 shop but still just get blank pages.

Any suggestions Thanks in advance.

suggestions...

1) never rely on automation to properly backup and restore your site

2) never rely on the same process that upgrades your server, to backup and restore it.

lesson learned here.  make sure you know how to properly backup and restore your website before trying to make changes to it.

also I did do a backup

then restore your backup. 

however you said you rolled back, which implies you used the auto upgrade module to backup and restore.  Is that the case?  Or did you actually create your own backups?

I rolled back but after 30mins it froze I got blank screens for both front and backoffice.

second lesson is dont look to the prestashop forum for any help

No one can magically restore your website for you.  I'm not sure what type of help you are seeking or expecting from the community.

second lesson is dont look to the prestashop forum for any help!! 

I understand that you are angry and disappointed, but it is very hard to advice to somebody without seeing actual stuff.

If your car don't go any more: do you write in forum or bring your car to garage of repairman? 

Sorry  my comments were not aimed at the whole forum community just I was always taught if you haven't anything useful to say keep quiet.

I was hoping someone in the same situation had found a solution.

I think I have now solved it myself these are the steps I have taken

Prestashop

download config/settings.inc.php from the server

I downloaded a new copy of the prestashop version I was trying to roll back to

I replaced all the files and folders on the server with the above except for img 

Do not upload the install folder

uploaded my copy of config/settings.inc.php

In my copy of settings.inc.php the version number had been changed to the failed upgrade version number so change it back to the actual version number or you will not be able to update later.

Database

I used phpmyadmin to access the database I dropped all the tables

removed the line starting with below  from a pre upgrade backup I made using phpmyadmin

CREATE DATABASE xxxxxx` ........

I then imported this file using phpadmin

I then was able to access the backend in my case I had to switch off friendly urls (in this shop I cannot remember if they were originally on or off)

I switched the theme to the default theme

Feeling brave I ran 1 click upgrade with backup switched off and so far all looks to have working ok

Dont think I have forgotten any steps

Even though I think prestashop has some very good features I also think it has major flaws in particular it seems odd that upgrading is not part of the core. Of all the  systems I have used prestashop is the only one that has not been reliable when it comes to upgrades.