Upgrade Prestashop in test setting. How to go live?

Hello everyone,

I have a general question about upgrading Prestashop, to which the answer is probably simple, but I just cant find it. Any help much appreciated!!

Here it goes:

1. I would like to upgrade my live shop from 1.6.0.9 to 1.6.1.2.

2. After a 'test' upgrade I figured out that it will probably take me a week to fix small errors and finetune the upgraded site.

3. When (after +/- a week) going live with the upgraded site, how do I import/arrange for a completely updated database, considering I will have been receiving orders in the meantime in the 'old' live site.

4. Connecting the new, upgraded site to the 'old', live database, is probabvly not the right way.

5. But what is the right way??

Please understand that I know my way well around prestashop, but Im no technician/programmer.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

Best regards

Freek 

I am not sure if this is the answer you looking for, but I would go this way:

1) Make a copy of live site.

2) Update the copy 

If I understand correctly you already did these two steps.

3) Fix all the problems in the copy, test it for a week or two. Right down (while fixing) where/what/how  was fixed in the form you like best (eg. word doc).

4) Turn of live site. Make back up of files and database.

5) Upgrade live site. 

6) Go thought the document you prepared in advance and apply the fixes. 

Does this helps you?

• Like 2

I agree with Simonas, this is the proper way to test and upgrade your store.  You could even go one step further and instead of just writing down the changes you make, save off the files that you have changed so that you can simply just copy/upload those updated files to your live store after the upgrade is complete.  that will save time and also be less error prone to mistakes.

• Like 1

yes, the out of sync time between capture and build of test shop and production is difficult.  (we do a lot of upgrades).

there is not easy solution to syncing new customer orders, and unless you have a prestanerd then one must enter customers (they can be imported) and orders (which cannot be imported).  This leaves you with manually creating customers (unless you import) and orders.

(tip: create 'another' running copy of your prod shop just before implementing new shop, so you have ref).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...