Prestashop folder and file permissions with nginx

Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure this out for three days and it is driving the hell out of me.

When I set the www folder permissions to 777 recursive, all problems are gone and Presta is smooth.

But when I set the permissions to 755 recursive on all folders and files I get lots of problems such as fatal error smarty is not able to write to ../.. permission denied.

I know that the best configuration would be 755 for folders and 644 for files but that's an enormous task to set them individually. Is there a shell command to do it all automatically? In addition, please note that the only user I have on the machine is root. I've read that for Apache guys, they give the www-data user certain permissions to control the files the way it wants. Would there be an equivalent way to it in nginx?

Appreciated in advance,

Phil.

I'm starting to get a better understanding of the situation right now.

The Prestashop i'm working on right now was installed on a local windows IIS and then was moved to a Linux server.

nginx has the user www-data active but it doesn't have any permissions on the files since the files were hosted previously by IIS not Apache.

I have found the commands that give folders 755 and files 644 recursively but the question now is how do I assign the www folder to the www-data user to take control? 

find * -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0755 # for directories
find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0644 # for files

Thanks.