Prestashop showing prices excluding VAT on 1.6.1.1

Hi there,

We've upgraded to 1.6.1.1 and the site is randomly showing the prices without VAT.  This doesn't seem to have any logic - on my iphone in chrome and safari it's showing VAT.  On Firefox and Chrome on my mac it's showing without VAT.  On my colleagues mac, same os, same firefox version it's showing VAT.  On his chrome there's no VAT.  We're not logged in.  Have cleared browser and PS cache and cookies.

We've tried so much stuff with no difference.  Can anyone help please?

Edited by f8dev (see edit history)

I had a similar problem and it had to do with the way Prestashop determined your country. I am from the Netherlands and on a browser where I had as default language Dutch it correctly calculated VAT. However, on a browser where I had English as default language it concluded that I was in the US and did not calculate VAT. 

My solution was to make a setting so that it always assumes that a visitor is in the Netherlands - unless he has made an account and provided a different country.

I had a similar problem and it had to do with the way Prestashop determined your country. I am from the Netherlands and on a browser where I had as default language Dutch it correctly calculated VAT. However, on a browser where I had English as default language it concluded that I was in the US and did not calculate VAT. 

My solution was to make a setting so that it always assumes that a visitor is in the Netherlands - unless he has made an account and provided a different country.

Hi musicmaster, thanks for your speedy reply.  Where is the setting you mentioned?

Under localisation you have an option: set the country from your browser language

thanks for your help.

We tried this and it didn't seem to make a huge difference.  Switching tax rules on and off seems to have done something but not 100% sure yet.  It's a very bizarre issue which we've never had before 1.6.1.1 so I don't know what's changed.

This has solved the issue for me.

Localization/configuration/Set default country from browser language - NO

Default country - United Kingdom

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

We had the same issue on PrestaShop 1.7.5.2 : when "Set default country from browser language" is enabled and your browser language is e.g. "English (United States)" the prices are shown VAT excluded, but only on first page load.
After refreshing the page, the prices are shown including VAT...

"Fixed" it by setting "Set default country from browser language" to NO.