How to improve your return process management without additional costs?
These days, the competition in e-commerce market is heating up and there are several dimensions in e-commerce business, where you can compete for your customer. Unfortunately, there are several areas where the competition is so intense, that there is almost no space for any actions with positive ROI. Now, let's briefly go through four prominent areas of e-commerce competition:
- Product - either you have a unique product, or you do have sole representation. In any event, it is very difficult to obtain this kind of advantage
- Price - your goods are cheaper than your competitors’ goods. This competition reduces your margin and overall business profitability.
- Shipping - free or subsidized shipping makes your service more interesting for customer and therefore more favored
- Aftercare - fourth, but the first dimension, where you have options to make significant difference from your competitors and turn it into your advantage
We will set aside product, price and shipping. Our focus will be on aftercare business opportunities regarding the return process. Return rate varies from product type to type quite significantly. Once you have a product with higher return rate, a comfortable and customer-oriented approach may increase customer retention - and retention is always cheaper than acquisition of new customers. So how to improve your return process?
How to improve your return process?
Make your returning policy clear and accessible. Once you are in need of returning your merchandise, it's only upsetting when you struggle to do so. Navigation and clear description is a standard that pays off.
Offer a comfortable way of registering the case. Make it fast and barrier-free. Your customer will appreciate your attitude and be willing to come back for shopping in the future. Making your return shipping easier is a significant benefit.
Let your customers know about every important event during the return process. From the moment of receiving the product to the final decision, your customer wants to know what is going on and when to expect another step.
Is there any tool that helps online merchants to deal with returns?
Our new PrestaShop addon partner Retino offers a free customer self-service online Portal, that makes the return registration process as fast and as simple as possible. Customer can simply:
- Identify his order with order number and email address
- Address his problem (what is wrong with the product? why does he return it?)
- Add photo-documentation if needed
- Order a return shipping
All of that in one place. It's very comfortable and the customer is happier, therefore more willing to come back in the future. Once the return case is registered in Retino, e-shop is notified and a new return ticket is created in Retino administration. It helps you to stay on track with every case, stick with deadlines and also easily inform your customers about the progress.
While the total number of e-shops is increasing, it is going to be harder to make your service unique in any positive way. As anyone who is buying things on the internet will probably admit, comfort during the process is very strongly related with our will to come back to the store in the future for another shopping experience. Don't waste your rare opportunities and make yourself special.