The PrestaShop community has reached a huge milestone: we just welcomed our 1,000,000th member! This achievement has been years in the making, as we patiently built a community of contributors and users around the globe--and around a passion for ecommerce.
PrestaShop has been an open source project from the get-go, and the decision to keep it that way gives our community members some incredible advantages, as well as giving them the opportunity to tangibly contribute to PrestaShop’s future success.
Flexibility and adaptability
There’s a saying in the world of open source: free as in speech and not as in beer. It means that, more importantly than being free of charge, open source software like PrestaShop gives users the freedom to analyze its source code and modify it to meet their own needs. Anyone can take the code and make it work for them, often with little or no need for technical knowledge. Open source software also benefits from open testing: since the code is developed in the open, anyone with technical knowledge is able to verify how it works, and comment on the path it takes.
Features and support
Being open source also means being open to requests from our community, which we’ve taken into account over the years to develop more than 600 features. PrestaShop is likely one of most feature-packed ecommerce softwares out there, and can adapt to any shopping format. And the community does more than share ideas for improvement: they help each other out! We’ve seen first-hand how much our community members love sharing their experience, advice, and suggestions with fellow online merchants.
So many ways to contribute!
Another great thing about open source is that it lets community members contribute to the software according to their own unique abilities. Are you a diehard developer? Have an eye for design detail? Speak four languages fluently? Whatever your talent is, there’s a place for it in the community. Here are few ways our members get involved:
- Test. Have you spotted a bug in PrestaShop or one of its native modules? Are you able to explain it and reproduce it every single time? Then you’re ready to create a ticket on the Forge, which the Core developer will use to fix the bug so it doesn’t appear in the next version.
- Improve code. Do you know how to fix an issue that you found yourself or read about in the Forge? Then the next step is for you to submit your fix to the Core developers who will integrate it into the next version. Knowledge of Git or GitHub is necessary, but should you succeed, you'll gain the admiration of other PS contributors.
- Translate. We strive to make PrestaShop available in as many languages as possible, but we really only master English and French. So we rely on the community to translate the software, or to fix translation errors. Are you up to the challenge? Then create your account on the PrestaShop project on Crowdin, and have at it!
- Document. You might not know it, but PrestaShop’s documentation is hosted on a wiki, which means anyone with an account can help write or update it. So if the User Guide isn’t available in your language yet, you can help us translate it--or any of the other guides.
- Contribute modules. Did you notice something that could be added to PrestaShop? Maybe you have an idea for a great feature or know how to improve an existing feature? If so, you can create a module and sell it on the PrestaShop Addons marketplace.
- Contribute themes. The default design for PrestaShop goes with anything, but you might have an idea that would work better for a specific market. Create your theme and sell it on the PrestaShop Addons marketplace.
Spread the word
Our community grew by word-of-mouth: people sharing with others how PrestaShop helped them start their own business, and sometimes even change their lives in very real ways. Promoting PrestaShop is another way to support the community, be it on the PS forums, on your blog, or even out "in the real world," at any of the numerous meetups regularly organized by local communities.
Thank you to everyone who has helped shaped the ongoing success of PrestaShop. We couldn’t have done it without you--and we wouldn’t want to!
Onto the next million!