Mobile rules the net and it’s taking on ecommerce.
What does the shift towards mobile mean for your business? A line has certainly been crossed. As of 2017, mobile traffic has overtaken desktop Internet usage,1 and mobile retail is following the same trend.2
As more and more buyers switch from high-street to online shopping, there’s a tendency for first-time digital transactions to be made on mobile devices, specifically smartphones. In 2017, mobile commerce sales made up 58.9% of digital sales, marking a steep rise from 40.2% in 2015.3 This means that more than half of all online shopping takes place on mobile devices. Welcome to the 21st century!
Mobile users want it all, and they want it now.
Mobile users don’t have time for small talk. You’ll need to rely on a streamlined shopping experience to capture them. Here′s why:
- The average mobile session lasts just 70 seconds4
- 28% of shoppers are in a hurry when buying from their smartphones5
- 1 in 3 shoppers will buy from the first website they find relevant6
- 65% of shoppers don’t care where they are buying – only relevance matters5
- 59% will shop somewhere again if they were able to pay quickly the first time5
Make sure you’re ready for mobile visitors.
- 40% of visitors will leave your website immediately if it’s not optimized for mobile devices.7 Having a website with a responsive design will not only help your mobile shoppers, but also your SEO: responsive websites place higher in Google rankings.
- 21% of shoppers think the mobile environment isn’t safe.6 Showing clearly that you’re using a well-known payment solution will reassure your customers about potential security issues.
- Checking out on a mobile can be tedious and causes 89% of shoppers to abandon their purchases at checkout.9 A lightweight checkout solution, such as PayPal One TouchTM, allows your customers to check out hassle-free, and helps boost your conversion rate.
PayPal design all their products with usability in mind, and their checkout solutions adapt to your customer’s device. Want to know more? Check out PrestaShop’s PayPal module.
The growth of mobile commerce is showing no signs of slowing down, so make sure your ecommerce business stays one step ahead of the game with a mobile-optimized website and checkout.
1 GlobalStats – 2017 – Global Data
2 CapGemini – 2017 – EU Data
3 Worldwide Retail and Ecommerce Sales: eMarketer's Updated Forecast and New Mcommerce Estimates for 2016-2021
4 Flurry Analytics, comscore, Q4 2014
5 Google/Ipsos, August 2016
6 MediaCT, Search for Brands Industry research Meta-analysis, 2013-2015
7 Acquire – Mobile Behavior Apr 2013
8 Monetate – EQ4 2015