Facebook has more than 2.41 billion monthly active users who create, share and like different content each and every day. It’s one of the most used marketing tools for eCommerce industry. Unlike other advertising platforms, Facebook ads can be entirely skippable, whether you’re scrolling through your feed or tapping from one story to another one. To be successful on Facebook, your products’ ad has to capture attention within the first few seconds, otherwise, it will be lost in Facebook’s sea of ads. To make sure that your advertisements get seen, let’s dig into 4 tips that can help you to prepare creative and interesting content for your ads.
1. Create captivating visuals.
As the saying goes: “People don’t read, they scan.” If the image is intriguing, there is a high chance that customers will stop for at least a second and read the copy on your ad. Easier to say, than do, yes? Here are some tips to keep in mind while creating eye-catching images:
- When choosing the right photos, use the correct image dimensions. Observe Facebook’s recommended image width of 600 pixels to avoid having your image resized. If your image gets resized, it may not look the way you expected.
- It is important to remember that Facebook prefers a minimal amount of text in your image. Ads on Facebook may not include images with text that covers more than 20% of the image’s area. These ads will be disapproved by Facebook. Also, loads of text in your image might lower the performance of your ad.
- Find inspiration on social media. Pinterest and Tumblr are the two biggest and most active image-based social media platforms that were created as great sources for finding inspiration online. Jammed with stunning photography and design, it’s easy to navigate and search.
To make sure that your searches are useful, start collecting things you’ve read, seen, or listened to that you found interesting or inspiring. Bookmark websites, pin images to a Pinterest board, follow designers on Instagram or Behance. Producing a collection of images and designs will provide you with a reference source for future projects. Tools like Evernote and even Google Drive can also be a good way to capture things you find online.
Also, check out successful advertising cases of other eCommerce brands’ products. It might give you a better idea of what customers love to see and see what are the best way to advertise your products or services.
2. Try different types of Facebook ads.
Every product is unique and it’s important to find the right advertising approach. Luckily, Facebook has you covered. Check out these types of ads below to find the most suitable one for your products.
- Facebook Canvas ads. To paraphrase Facebook, Canvas is “a full-screen ad experience built for bringing brands and products to life on mobile.” Facebook ran some tests of this new format and the results were promising. 53% of users that open a Canvas ad view at least half of it, the average view time per ad is a surprising 31 seconds. Keeping in mind that with people hardly paying attention to ads, that’s a shocking number.
Canvas ads allow advertisers to deliver fully immersive, interactive ads that are hosted completely on Facebook — thereby eliminating the need for users to click out of the app to engage with mobile content. We highly recommend using these types of ads in eCommerce because of higher customer engagement rates and a better experience.
- Carousel Ads. Interactive and visually appealing, Carousel Ads are perfect if you’ve got multiple products you want to promote or an array of services you need to build awareness of. They’re also mobile-friendly, and they can be placed right within the newsfeed, making their click-through-rates better than most. Carousel Ads are also great for marketers, as they allow a sort of A/B testing. By using this ad type, you can promote five different services or products at once, spot new trends and determine what best resonates with your buyers.
3. Write a creative headline and copy for your ad.
Two things that usually first attract customers’ attention - ad’s photo and headline. Few elements to keep in mind before making an interesting ad:
- Keep it short, memorable and delicious. Your customers are not going to read an essay about your product. Based on the latest research on social media ads, we recommend keeping a copy to 25 characters for the headline and 90 characters for the body copy.
- Describe your online product or services' uniqueness. Create a sense of allure and stand out from the crowd by using words such as exclusive, unique or best to describe your offer. Make sure Facebook users understand that no other online brands can truly replicate the experience you provide.
4. Clear Call-to-Action (CTA) button.
The creative ad is the one that creates emotion and inspires action. To catch customers’ attention your CTAs should be simple, effective and with great call-to-action phrases. Depending on your product, you can use a strong call-to-action copy such as Shop Now!, Learn More, Click Here or Order today and use 50% off.
AdEspresso ran interesting research to check which CTA button is the most effective on Facebook. The research revealed that the download button showed the best results: “To be clear we’re not saying “download” is always the best option to pick, it will depend on the offer, the stage of the funnel and how much information the user needs before making a decision.” As you can see there is no single answer to say what is the best option for the top CTA. Sometimes you could see that word purchase works best and other times learn more depending on how complex or well known your product or service is. Running different ad test will help you figure out which CTA has the highest performance rates. And don’t get us wrong - CTA’s are not only buttons - copy plays a huge role as well.
To summarize, as we mentioned before every product or service is unique. To write a creative ad on Facebook, you need not only to understand the value of your products and services but also choose the most suitable type of ads to reach the desirable results. The right type of ad, suitable tone, and catchy headline as well as image will make your product stand out from your competitors and drive sales.