The success of an online store depends on a coherent and faultless design, which is why this month we bring to you a few technical tips for a great design.
To share your creation easily (designer, integrators, clients), we recommend that you save your file under a photoshop file (RGB, 72 dpi, unflattened).
You should also work in a 980px-wide format.
You can use several methods according to your preferences:
- A file for every text screen, so that the integrators can easily access the design per se ;
- A file for every block design (new products, best-sellers, etc)
Do not use the CMYK setting, which is adapted only for printing. Always use the RGB setting.
Do not use unusual font ! Make sure everything is perfectly legible !
The standard text (title, sub-title, normal text) should be limited to the following fonts only, in order to ensure that visitors all see the same thing:
- Times News Roman
Use a minimum amount of fonts : too many different fonts will only make your design more confusing.
When you create on the web, the referential unit is the pixel. Do not measure in picas, points or centimetres.
Always keep in mind that the the visitor ultimately chooses the font size, since modern browsers make it possible to zoom in or zoom out at will. In fact, you should test your site with the different size variations that your browser provides, to see whether your design is solid…and whether or not you need to rework it to avoid it being easily broken.
In the meantime, you can use the following measures:
- 10 to 12px for the normal text
- 14px for the sub-titles
- 18px for the titles
Transparent images don’t work well on the older browsers, especially Internet Explorer, so try to avoid 24bit PNG pictures. Concerning transparent GIF pictures, use them on a plain background for the best effect. Also, avoid semi-transparent pixels when defining the cache color (same as the background color).
- Remember to activate all options in order to see the end-result with the standard theme.
- Modify a product sheet to explore all the available options (sales, new arrivals, etc.) and their impact on the front-office display.
- The graphic style of your e-store must be homogeneous
Bon design !