The countdown for the release of the highly anticipated PrestaShop 1.6 has begun! We want you to be fully prepared, so we gathered the questions that you asked us about 1.6 and our development team has addressed them.
1. I want to convince my clients to upgrade to 1.6 but they are hesitant about upgrade problems. How can I convince them that it will be safe?
The main idea you want to tell your clients is that 1.6 has minimal changes to the files and database. This means that the core code between 1.5 and 1.6 is virtually the same. Upgrades from 1.5 to 1.6 are smooth. Follow the best practices of testing upgrades on a test environment first and there is no need to be hesitant about upgrading to 1.6 first.
2. What are the three main reasons why I should upgrade to 1.6?
The awesome UI/UX improvements on Front and Back Office make managing your store easier than ever. We’ve included the best new technologies integrated in 1.6. You’ll be using the fastest and most flexible PrestaShop ever. The new real-time dashboard gives you the information you need to make smarter business decisions.
-For more information, check out the Progress Page for 1.6
3. Can you tell me more about the new technologies that are in v1.6?
a) Font Awesome – “Font Awesome gives you scalable vector icons that can instantly be customized — size, color, drop shadow, and anything that can be done with the power of CSS.”
c)Sass Compass – “Compass is an open-source CSS Authoring Framework. It uses Sass to generate well formatted CSS and make your stylesheets easier to organize and maintain.
d)Bootstrap – “Bootstrap, a sleek, intuitive, and powerful mobile first front-end framework for faster and easier web development.”
4. I want to improve the translation of PrestaShop in my language. How can I help?
5. I have a problem with 1.6 how can I get support?
We have a number of different options for support. The community forum and Forge Issue tracker are great tools to use alongside our official support plans.
6. Will you still support 1.5 after 1.6 is released? When do you plan on dropping support for 1.5?
There will be no new releases of version 1.5. However, the 1.6 is running on the same core. You can still view the code and bug fixes published on GitHub. Some weeks after the release of 1.6, it will no longer be possible to create issues for the 1.5 on the Forge.
1. What is the best way to upgrade to 1.6 if I am currently on 1.4 (or below)? Should I upgrade to 1.5 first or jump to 1.6?
No, the best way would be to upgrade directly to 1.6. Remember to test any upgrades before upgrading your live store.
2. How do I know if my upgrade will work?
The recommended way to upgrade is to test the upgrade on a test environment. Make sure to make a manual back-up of your live store. Follow the Upgrade guide. Never upgrade a live store without testing it first.
3. What if the auto-upgrade fails? Is there another way to upgrade?
Officially, we do not support any other upgrade method. Manual upgrades are deprecated and not recommended.
1. How can I tell if my theme and modules are compatible with 1.6?
a) Modules: Contact the module creator to receive any updates. All PrestaShop developed modules are compatible. Simply by installing the module, if no error appears then the module is compatible + Addons compatibility. You should install modules on a testing environment instead of your live store.
b) Themes: All 1.5 themes are compatible with version 1.6, but some design may differ a little from the original. This is due to different modules positions and the new 1.6 two column theme. Contact the developer of the theme to receive any updates.
2. What if my theme is not Bootstrap compatible? Will that be an issue with 1.6?
Even if your theme is not Bootstrap compatible, it will still work on 1.6. However, you will not take advantage of the benefits of Bootstrap on mobile devices. It should be fully compatible with any other template
3. My favorite modules are not going to be updated for 1.6 compatibility, what should I do?
You could contact the contributor to know the module compatibility roadmap. Otherwise you have the option of contacting an agency or freelancer to make the necessary changes to your module.
Bugs and Issues
1. How can I tell if a certain bug has been fixed in 1.6?
Just search for the bug in the Forge Issue Tracker and check its status. The change-log also lists all the issues that have been fixed since the last release.
2. What bugs have been fixed from 1.5?
The change-log will give you all the necessary information.
3. Taxes have always been a huge problem for me, are they easier in 1.6?
We are aware of the important work to be done on taxes in PrestaShop. Many patches will be made with 1.6 although much remains to be done. We expect a very important update on taxes in the coming months but we encourage you to migrate without waiting on 1.6 for now to enjoy the first corrections.
4. I noticed some bugs and some missing features while testing 1.6, where do I report them to?
The Forge is the best place to report issues and missing features. You can also visit our Github page and changes to the 1.6 repository.
5. Do you have a roadmap for adding new features to 1.6?
A roadmap will be announced soon and updated regularly.
Stay tuned via our blog for more news to help you prepare for PrestaShop 1.6!
Receive articles like this in your inbox!
Subscribe to get the latest ecommerce news and tips sent directly to your email. Subscribe