Vote to Improve PrestaShop

PrestaShop Forum: Build a free online shop. Count on the Community!

The best place in the world to ask questions about PrestaShop and get advice from our passionate community!

PrestaShop Forum: Build a free online shop. Count on the Community!

Photo

Bulk Products and Images Import

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
shoofra

PrestaShop Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hi Guys

I have few questions about importing products csv file with images.

1. where to upload images of the products?
2. can i upload images then use the [Regenerate thumbnails] option? or should i upload all versions of the same image?
3. how i write the image url path? should i include full path? or just a file name?
4. Can I update product information using [csv import]? such as changing prices etc...?

Thanks
Some were born to buy - Some to sell.

www.Appeez.com
www.JudaicaJoe.com

SE123

PrestaShop Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

1. You can upload images whereever you want.
2. You should upload images somewhere before you do csv import.
3. Url path to img is actually link to image, not just filename.
3. Yes, you can.

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Here are a few pointers you want to keep in mind:

1) Import products only first using the BO/Tools/Import function
2) I recommend uploading a few products first to ensure they import accurately
3) After importing all your products next import images
4) While importing images, you will need to FTP transfer the CSV file directly into the admin/import, as using the BO/Toos/Import the CSV does not transfer image urls
5) While importing images, import 50 - 70 at a time as your server may time out if you do more.
6) When i was importing, i uploaded all my images to the upload folder and pointed the image urls there.

Cheers

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

Could someone post an example CSV file with image links in it as an example?

Trying to understand how you'd link multiple images to a given product.

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Here you go, this example allows for 3 different images to be associated to 1 product and the same product placed in 3 different categories.

Attached Files

• Attached File  test.csv   1bytes   1661 downloads

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

Thanks so much for that Phantomeye, very useful.

So I should first import some products which would be a CSV in the same format as the one above except minus the image information, then go and import a new CSV file that includes additional image information and do this by uploading all of the images to the upload folder and the CSV to the import folder.

Will give this a go today!

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

You can do it in one csv file. First upload all images into the upload folder. Next as a test run, just import 2 products with images and all other information. If it works out, start importing the rest in batches of 50 items.
Good luck

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Just tried to import a CSV along with some images which are both in the correct directories. I set up the file following your example but I'm unable to set each column up as it shows here: http://www.prestasho...g_Product_Data/

See my attached screen shots, am I missing something simple?!

Attached Files

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi James,
In the sample file i put the header row as the first column, to make it easier to read and visualize. You need to convert your First column to first row. In excel if you copy the first column data, use paste special and transpose to move columns to rows. Also make sure if you are using the header row, you skip 1 line (image 2)

Will upload the sample file again in the proper format in a few.
Cheers

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Ahhh, I see! Thanks Phantomeye, would appreciate a look at the new file.

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Here you go. I hope this works, im using google docs to create it.

Attached Files

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

Just tried to import the file above and pretty much the same thing happened, I wonder what I could be doing wrong.

Attached Files

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi James,
I believe you need to change the field seperator to , (comma). Here are 2 screenshots to help you. Your CSV file looks okay. Also delete the image1 you just put up as we can see the filepath to your site in the csv file (its not secure to display it)

1) First off, in the import section, make sure you're screen looks like screen 1. To achieve this, first select what you are going to import, in your case products. Next change the field seperator to , (comma) since you are using a csv file. Click next.

2) In the next screen, you need to drop down the headers and align it to the headers in your csv file. Check image 2. Make sure you put skip 1 row because you are using a header row.

3) Keep clicking the next arrows and aligning all the way to the image url. Once done, then click import and you should be good to go.

Attached Files

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for that Phantomeye,

I'm finally getting it. Managed to import the three products but only the first (front) image of each one has managed to import the second image for each product is giving this warning:

"Error copying image: http://www.....com/u...d/RCDS001-B.jpg"

Could this be something to do with the way the image field is formatted? Seems like it's only reading the first image and ignoring the one after the comma?

Will test.

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Also any advice on importing combinations? How do they link up with the products already imported - through the ID matching up?

Product ID*
Options (Group:Value)*
Reference
Supplier reference
EAN13
Wholesale price
Price
Ecotax
Quantity
Weight

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi James,
Which version of prestashop are you using? For combinations im not sure if there a solution right now. All you can do is import attribute groups and attributes but cannot assign them to individual products. (but i maybe wrong)

Im going to try importing multiple images and a combination, will get back to you with my results.

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Phantomeye, that would be great if it's possible to import combinations! I think I read that you can but you can't assign images to them.

Using Ver 1.3.1

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Figured out why the second image was not importing - I had put in a blank space after the comma and before the second images link.

phantomeye

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

Hi James, i apologize for disappearing, had to take care of some work. And you are spot on about the comma, i tried the combinations and was not thrilled with the results. Will keep working on it, until i can figure it out really well.

Trust your sites import is complete and you are coming along nice and smooth.

James R

PrestaShop Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

No worries at all phantomeye, hope you got through your work.

Seem to be able to import products without problem now although I did run in to some old temp image issues but managed to resolve them with the help of this thread:

http://www.prestasho...d_combinations/

Haven't tackled the combinations yet. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how the features import works if you've multiple features?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users