Speeding Up PrestaShop

I'm brand new to PrestaShop. I'm doing some testing on my localhost, because I'm hoping to have a new platform I can support for my clients. One of my biggest concerns right now is the speed of PrestaShop. I insist on my sites have an A grade for YSlow, and PrestaShop gets a C out of the box. I've already moved the scripts to the bottom, which brought it up to a B grade. I'll be spriting backgrounds that I make for future sites, so that's another piece that will be getting fixed.

One of my biggest concerns now is that I want to minify, combine, and gzip all my CSS and JS files. I don't see any obvious way to do that. Does anyone know how to do that or if there are tools available for that?

Does anyone have any other speed tips for PS?

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks everyone, I'll go back to testing now. Hopefully optimizator will do the trick for the CSS and JS issues.

I'll definitely experiment with that DB tweak a little later also.

I REALLY want this platform to work out, it looks great, and I love the user friendly interface. I'm really fed up with crummy carts and want one I can offer my clients with confidence. Right now when I recommend carts I don't do it with confidence, "This one is less bad then that one."

• 2 weeks later...
You can use Web Optimizer to do the minifying for you.

Sorry, I am a little bit lost here. I have download the web-optimizer. Do I install it in the same root directory of my shop but just make a folder of its own? In other words, the folder will be included within my shop? Sorry, I don't know computer much. :cheese:

Thank you for the help.

• 9 months later...
You must leave it on your site so that it can continue to send out optimised files whenever they are requested.

Hi rocky,

This might be a outdated post... but I have a pretty lame question.

I just installed Webo Site Speedup and have finished setting it up. Now we have it running... but I'm constantly modifying our site which includes edits to css, tpl and php files.

So my question is... do I have to "disable" Webo Site Speedup configuration before I make any edits to PS files? Or do I just make the changes as I normally would with Webo running? If the latter, do I have to reconfigure settings everytime I make a change to a file(s)?

Thanks!

I don't remember. I used this optimiser for a short time, then I realised that it wasn't worth using. I wrote my performance tips article instead, which I think is a better way to optimise your site. I've rewritten my performance tips article for PrestaShop v1.4 too, though it's on my new website that isn't available yet. I'm wait for PrestaShop v1.4 final to be released before I make my PrestaShop v1.4 website and information live.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have used some of the optimization tips from your current site... I just never got around to implementing the minifcation and image sprites. I found this program and thought it might be easier to implement some of those "optimization" features.

If I've used some of your tips (specifically, compression and cache) and I noticed Webo implements similar features... is it a bad idea to have both methods setup?

Looking forward to your 1.4 update.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...