How to show all Product Variants in the Product List

Hi all!

I am having a prestashop 1.6.0.9 installation where i have to put about 200 watches in it (just one brand, 10 models, each model is having about 20 different color combinations).

This is just one brand of watches, which is having 10 models of watches, but, so many different colors on the strap and also on the dial. So, basically i want to show every watch in the product list, because these watches are selling because of the colors, but, as the descriptions for all watches within a model will be very similar, i think it will be not a good idea for SEO reasons to have each watch as its own product... (correct me if i am wrong...)

So, then, if i am right about the SEO, there basically should be just one watch of each model, what makes 10 products in prestashop, and each product is having then 20 variants (in average), but, as i do not want to hide all the colorful watches, my idea is that there can be just 10 products, but in the productlist of prestashop ALL of the variants should be shown like they would be a product itself... so, i click on the productlist and i want to see 200 watches there...

and now my questions:

* am i right, that having just 10 products instead of 200 with similar descriptions for all the watches within a model (series)?

* does anyone know how to show all the variants within the product list?

* or is there another way to handle this?

Thanks!

If they all have the same description, then yes it will make far more sense for there to just be 10 watches with colour options, otherwise search engines may think you're spamming your descriptive content

Rather than showing each as a seperate product on the product list, it might be worth just looping through the combination images for each product instead.. so you'd have your main product image on there, and then just a sub set of all the different colour combinations beneath, you'd need to custom code the template to do that though, unless you can find one that already does it

The only other way to do it is as you've said really, setting each up as its own product, which isn't recommended

thanks for your reply!

the thing is, the description is about 10 lines (about 3 words per line) for each watch, but, the difference is then just about 5 words, which may be then not enough to avoid bad ranking in search engines, i think.

your idea about the product list is in the way i was thinking to have the images, but that is a little bit more than just changing the product list, also when a customer clicks on one of the images there has to be the product page then with the right image and description, i do not want the customer to see then the product page with another watch color and he has to search for the right one to buy...

• 1 year later...