Multishop second shop url shows only the default shop, not the second shop.

I have...

1. purchased a secondary domain and forwarded it to the primary shop domain
  2. enabled multishop
  3. created a shop group that shares just about everything
  4. created a new secondary shop
  5. set the main url for the secondary shop to the new secondary domain
  6. left the physical url as /  (the same as the setting for the default shop domain)
  7. left virtual url blank
  8. added both the primary and secondary shops to the new shop group 

Now when I enter www.secondarydomain.com into a browser, it forwards to www.primarydomain.com and does not show any part of the secondary shop.  It is not showing any urls for the new secondary domain, nor the theme I have set.  It seems like the function where PS is supposed to translate/rewrite to the new secondary domain is not working.  Did I miss something?

I called GoDaddy about the domain and they said the forwarding is working correctly.  The ip should not be the issue, considering that the domain is sending people to the correct server.  The problem is that rather than showing the secondary shop, the secondary domain is showing the primary shop.  In other words, both the primary and secondary domain are showing the same shop.  I am on shared hosting.  It seems to me like whatever makes prestashop direct people coming on the secondary domain to the secondary shop is not working.

you do not 'forward' and/or 'redirect'..once you use this terminology...you are doomed to failure. as this will change new domain to maindomain, before reaching ps.

then in hosting control panel, cpanel = park to main domain...where you are hosing main domain, cpanel = park plesk = alais to main domain.

if godaddy is registrar,  you must change new domain, i.e. add hosting and name servers (of this domain) that you parked/aliased on hosting where main domain is.

I am confused about what you are saying the process is.  To set my domain as parked in the domain manager simply points the domain name to a GoDaddy park page.  I don't understand what I am supposed to do with the domain in terms of DNS settings, etc.  

I have found the part on the hosting cpanel that says "park domain", but that doesn't actually change any settings for the domain itself does it?

Can you please tell me what steps to take for the domain and what steps to take for the server/hosting?

Also, the domain is at GoDaddy and the host is euroVPS

Edited by AFemaleProdigy (see edit history)

ok...the most important thing is that additional domains are just that....from registrar (defining) to google...new domain looks and is a complete standalone domain.

from your vps (assume it's cpanel), park new domain to main domain   (this is not same as say godaddy park)

this created dns on vps (review this for more details, i.e. nameserver names for below)

from registrar (assume godaddy)

edit domain name

set hosting, not hosted on godaddy

add nameservers (ns.newdomain | ns2.newdomain)  (as seen in dns of new domain on vps)

from vps 

10.31.2014-04.53.png
http://screencast.com/t/fTWbFpiPsNZ

from godaddy registrar

10.31.2014-04.54.png
http://screencast.com/t/uEjIzJ5QF

Okay, so I had to get my EasyDNS hosting to enable the parked domains option in cPanel.  Then I entered the new secondary domain as a parked domain.  I tried to delete the redirect that they had in there by default.  That looked like this %{ENV:REWRITEBASE}index.php  But then it keeps defaulting to js/jquery/plugins/fancybox/images/$1.$2   I had read that you do not want redirect on.  Please correct me if that is wrong.  I am not sure what should be in there.

Then in GoDaddy, I set the nameservers for my new secondary domain to the same nameservers as the primary domain. 

DNS1.EASYDNS.COM
DNS3.EASYDNS.CA
DNS2.EASYDNS.NET

Now my domain name is just redirecting to my web hosts home page.  What am I doing wrong?

"Then I entered the new secondary domain as a parked domain. "

Here you say parked domain, is this your shops main domain name?  if not make it so.

no redirects i.e. 301/302...others can be more subtle and may not matter, but end point ps needs the 2nd domain untouched so  it can match to shopid, yes?

if true cpanel, parked...good...

you can use google  webmaster tools to 'fetch' and it will tell you of 'some' redirects, helpful.

tip: clear your browser cache when create new shop always when testing new shop url, you may have configured correctly but browser cache can show main url...this best tip of post :)

Thanks, El Patron.  I am still confused.  Let me be more specific.

Primary domain for default shop (Shop1.com) - registered at EasyDNS

Secondary domain for new add on shop (Shop2.com) - registered at GoDaddy

Shop1.com domain name is pointing to the root directory on the server where PS is installed (EasyDNS shared hosting).  Shop1.com works with no problems.

Shop2.com domain name is using the same nameservers and ip address as Shop1.com.  It is not using a forward.  It is not parked.

In cPanel -> Parked Domains,  I have set Shop2.com as a parked domain.  I deleted the redirect to the index.php page that was added by default.

Now I get a page cannot be loaded error or website down error (depending on the browser).

You Said: "Shop2.com domain name is using the same nameservers and ip address as Shop1.com. "

This is your problem, the nameservers will be for the 'new' domain not 'shop1.com', i.e. ns.shop2.com ns2.shop2.com  same IP is perfect.

I think I show this in screen shot above, a godaddy of .com.es.

(when you create the cpanel park, it will add the shop2 nameservers to shop1 dns... :)

vale!

• Like 1

Ok, I finally figured it out and have realized that the PS instructions are just not sufficient.  They make assumptions that people are going to know to do certain things.  Some important steps were left out.

The first issue (this is what I think is really lacking on instruction), was regarding what to do with the secondary domain name with the domain name registrar.  I found it very confusing to figure out what I was supposed to do with it.  At first, I thought maybe I should forward it.  No.  Then I thought maybe park it (since parking was mentioned several times).  No.  Then I thought I was supposed to point it to the same nameservers and ip as the primary domain.  This turned out to be incorrect and resulted in my secondary domain showing me the primary default shop.  Then it was pointed out to me in this thread that I need to point the secondary domain to nameservers made specifically for it.  And that the act of parking the domain in cpanel created those nameservers.  Well, I did not know that parking the domain in cpanel would create custom nameservers.  And nowhere in the instructions did it say anything about using these nameservers.  

Additionally, in order to make this work through my GoDaddy domain manager, I had to go into the DNS editor and add two host names for the new nameservers... then go in and actually add the nameservers in the ns records... then update the ip address to match the hosting server.  I only guessed this because I had to do that before when I operated a VPS with custom nameservers.  The average user would likely not know to do this.  This should be in the instructions.

The PS instructions also use the word "forward" for cPanel when they should not.  In the official PS documentation, it says that cPanel users should "forward".  This is not correct and will confuse people, as it did myself.  http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Setting+a+shop%27s+URL  As El Patron has said, it is "Parking for cPanel", not forwarding.  Two different things there.

For me, I went into cPanel and parked my secondary domain.  I ran into some issues because my host EasyDNS at first did not have the parking feature enabled for me.  I had to request it be enabled.  Then I discovered that by default, they were adding a redirect every time I parked my domain.  No matter how many times I opted for no redirect, it kept adding one anyway.  I finally got fed up (as I have had a lot issues with them anyway) and just moved my entire account to a new host, EuroVPS.  I am already greatly impressed with the new host and do not have those issues there.

In the end, I had to wait a while for the changes to take effect, then clear my browser cache completely to see the changes.  Multishop is now working.  Finally.  

Thanks to those that helped me through this!  

• Like 1

tip: PrestaShop nor anybody for that matter...can not explicitly state how to  set new domain via dns...just to may registrar and hosting options..(to many actually) :)

I've developed (now historically famous) PrestaShop MultiShop for 1.4...the module works great...but I always cringed when purchased because of customer setting of dns...I've seen some pretty crazy stuff...thank goodness 1.5+ has built in but having understanding how to do this is critical...and not always easy to explain,  though I gave  it a go...

happy multishopping

el

• Like 1

El Patron, you were very helpful.  It was one of your posts that actually got me on the right path.  I think it would have taken me a lot longer to solve this, had you not replied.

I agree and understand that there are a lot of varying scenarios/situations.  But perhaps some more specific instructions that pertain to the most common situations would be good. Like a lot of web hosts do when they explain how to set up email accounts.  Their instructions are for the most common scenarios.  DNS/nameservers were not really discussed at all.  

In my research on the matter, I found a lot of confused people out there. 

• 1 year later...

Hi El Patron,

One question, where do i place the nameservers: ns.shop2.com ns2.shop2.com

create dns zone at primary domain? or in the shop2.com ?

thanks everyone!

for  cpanel you park additional domain to main domaini

for plesk you alias additional domain to main domian

clear browser cache and you should be good to go.

if you do not have either of these hosting control panels, let me know and I can look dns for a multishop and see if anything there is useful.