"Technical validation" Hell

PrestaShopDeveloper

The so called addons.prestashop.com "technical validation" has turned to "Paragraph 21" hell.

Issue #1:
I submited 3 files - by one for PrestaShop 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6.
Result: For All 3 I got 3 different "issues", although the validation is pretty much the same. Also on the response there's no information for which one from the 3 is that response.

Issue #2:
- Before I submit a module, I need to validate it with the https://validator.prestashop.com/, so I'm validating.

- After submitting, my module get rejected with the following description "Using our license notices in your index.php file, you must use your license notices"
- I'm changing the license to mine and resubmitting for validation
- Now I got the following: "Can you remove the license of your Prestashop files, especially on templates, thank you."
- Also, at validator.prestashop.com the .tpl licenses & .php license are mandatory and return errors if missing.

- Before I submit my module I must check the checkbox that I have validated it at at validator.prestashop.com.

So what shall I do? 

1) Remove all license comments on all files (Which they asked me to add)? 
2) Leave my licenses on my files (Which they asked me to remove)? 
3) Shoot myself?

Hi Bellini,

Once you logged in with your contributor account, you have to click on the "email us" section in the footer, and you'll see a new title appear, "I have a problem with my seller account". We recommend you to use this one when you're running into any issue regarding your contributor's account and your modules submissions questions :)

I responded to the email yesterday. So far I figured out that it's about the 1.4 compatible version, since 1.5 was validated and 1.6 is still pending.

Can you provide the exact steps to contact them?  I am in the "addons back office" and I do not see a way to contact them.

It also should not be necessary, if the validator does not provide any errors, then why are they rejecting the module at all?

The validator shows errors and warnings on all modules, even (or especially) on the core ones - this in 99% of the cases is unavoidable. Like for example as an error is indicated not applying escape modifier to smarty variables - in my case I'm outputting clean HTML and no modifier is required or could be applied. This is not a problem - the problem is that there's no requirements specification, like for example how should the license be applied and if we use PrestaShop copyrighted code, like "backward_compatibility" stuff for PS 1.4 how should we indicate that. From what I understood so far I need to remove their copyright, which I find strange.

Another example: According to the validator the PHPDOC tag values must be aligned with spaces (in columns), but the original PrestaShop license comments are not - they use 1 space and it's not aligned.

I hope that within a month my module to be approved (having in mind the response time)...

@Samyha: Have you read the development guide? 

The issue the user is pointing out is that the validator conflicts with the development guides.  If you embed the backwards compatibility module following the guide, it will fail validation.  A link to guide is here.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Using+the+backward+compatibility+toolkit

The developer guide also does not discuss including a license in any of the files.

And.. my technical validation hell continues...

I'll upload my module validation report in order to illustrate it better:

http://www.prestashop-developer.com/advancedtags_validation_20141028.pdf

1. Unused function parameter $autodate &  $null_values

- the module uses custom add() method which does not invokes the parent add() and this values are not used - they are even not need. I can solve that issue by assigning both parameters to empty string and concatenate it so something, but I don't think this is necessary just for the validation to pass

2. Unused variable $value.
- "Huge problem". I'll fix it by using array_keys() function, which will affect negative on the performance and will do exactly nothing, but anyway - "We need to be validated".

3. $description is not escaped

- Yes, it's not because this is content from the WYSIWYG editor - it should not be escaped. The same thing is done in the category.tpl from the default PrestaShop 1.6 for example: {$category->description}.

4. pagination.tpl "issue" & other unescaped varibles
- This file is follows all the priciples of the pagination.tpl from the default PrestaShop 1.6. $no_follow_text does not need to be escaped, because it's assigned in the theme with text rel="no-follow" or with empty value. $requestPage is already escaped. The second param of goPage() method is being cast to int within the same method - doing escaping with intval here is doing the same work twice - which affects negative on the performance and does nothing. The other unescaped  variables are generated from the Controller and could not be compromised (backoffice-header.tpl &  block.tpl). 

5. Line exceeds 150 characters; contains 153 characters

- Not a reason to decline a module at all. Making in up to 150 chars will make the code more readable, but since it's a .htaccess rule I need to put the second part on column 0, else, the rule will split on 2 rows or I'll need to call an additional function to filter the tabs and the new lines which means - lower performance and the code will not became more readable.

All this issues can be fixed. I can call some functions that will suppress these errors/warnings. I can even develop a smarty modifier that does nothing (get the string and return the same), just the code to be valid, but this will affect the performance and will bring nothing to the clients.

And as a final. This module is for PrestaShop 1.6. The same module for PrestaShop 1.5 with the same "issues" is being approved 1 minute before this was declined.

I really don't understand that. It's almost a month since I developed the module and I'm spending more time dealing with such things instead of working on the next version. Version 1.3.1. was released 10 days after 1.3 (while 1.3 was still not approved). This helps neither the customers to receive an update in time, neither the developers.

Don't be surprised. PrestaShop goes Apple way and it must hurt. The other approach outlines WordPress.

You can compare both approaches and vote.

I'm surprised. You can't ask from the developers to cover a non-sense requirements that damage the performance of the module, and that gives nothing more to the customers. Even their own code does not validates.

And now the news - I have made the module to validate perfectly, finding the way to do with with less performance damage, like: 

{$no_follow_text|default:''}, and doing some concatenations.

When I tried to submit it I got this error: "This module has already been declined".

So I ended up with PrestaShop 1.5 compatible module that is approved & is selling at the store (with 10+ validation errors & warnings) and the same module, PrestaShop 1.6 compatible that is declined (with no errors and warnings & tested on the Cloud).

This is getting really frustrating...

NyWhBEZ.png

Edited by PrestaShopDeveloper (see edit history)

Hello PrestaShopDeveloper,

I totally understand your position, but feel free to contact our team to get a more personal explanation about the errors highlighted by the validator. 

Our Addons team is currently working on it in order to make it more simple to use for our contributors. I'll keep you updated when the time will come. 

Regards

Hello PrestaShopDeveloper,

I totally understand your position, but feel free to contact our team to get a more personal explanation about the errors highlighted by the validator. 

Our Addons team is currently working on it in order to make it more simple to use for our contributors. I'll keep you updated when the time will come. 

Regards

10x for the response. I contacted the team yesterday - no answer so far. I don't need more explanation about the errors, because now the module for PS 1.6 validates 100% without errors or warning. I've just submitted a new file and will wait to see if it will be finally ok.

Edited by PrestaShopDeveloper (see edit history)