A few issues i have with a brand new, out of box install

I recently installed Prestashop, i appreciate people need to learn how to use the basic structure and whats not, but after spending 45mins updating 44 modules 1 by 1 the next thing i needed to do was remove all the sample data, which i did, so, now it appears as tho my PrestaShop install is broken, if i select Catalog then Categories in the back office, i have in the header, 1 disabled Category, and then next to that i have Empty Categories 5, and then below that, in the Category List, it states, "No records found"  so.. i cant see the disabled category, nor the 5 empty ones, it seems like its broken, and this will always now be offset with the actual data am i correct?

Also is it too hard for you guys to include the updated modules in the distribution?, with no bulk actions available apart from to make a bulk selection, (really weird whats the point of bulk selection if there are no actions?) its ludicrous, anyways, this proceedure i guess. everyone that installs prestashop has to endure its really turned me off!

When i asked one of the live chat guys he asked if i have a support plan! for brand new, broken? software lol, im sure u guys knOW how that looks, i told him no and he suggested i ask stuff here, u kno..as amusing as that is, you aught not to sell software full of known bugs (like the modules list for instance) and then ask ppl who ask about KNOWN issues if they have a support plan, cmon thats really bad of you to operate in that nature, what gives?  Ive only been using PrestaShop a few hours and i have to say ive seen a ugly side already.

post-853002-0-70334500-1412781314_thumb.png

Edited by ibanez0r (see edit history)

Please describe this "sell" thing you are talking about. Did you have to purchase PrestaShop from some entity? 

As for this bug, I have never seen it before, what happens when you add a new category?

Hi 

Welcome to the forum, note great start for you but hope it can be solved.

First thing, what version to you have installed ?

Modules included in distribution  are from time of release of that version, but on them work is done 

every week so small or medium issues are solved and it gets updated.

For updating all of them there is button in top right "Update all" that helps a bit.

Can't say more on categories issue but try to clear cache in Advanced preferences > Performance

again, top right button. 

On categories topic, Prestashop have ROOT and HOME categories defined, for multishop feature so those can not be deleted.

Please describe this "sell" thing you are talking about. Did you have to purchase PrestaShop from some entity? 

As for this bug, I have never seen it before, what happens when you add a new category?

hehe, u kno what i mean!  ill give it try and let you know! thanks

I had a similar problem. I was editing the modules one by one and after I had edited one, the next time I clicked on the modules link I got an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.I think updating the modules individually is incorrect and not good user interface or interaction.

I re-installed it and when I clicked on manage your store, my login credentials weren't recoginized - although I cut and paste them from the installation assistant. I, too, am not overly impressed so far.

marty

Ok so clearing the cache as you suggested seemed to fix the issue with the ghost stats, however, Ive enabled all forms of cach'ing in my case im using AWS memcache, ive enabled ALL CCC features, and the site with no products, is taking 11 seconds to load and i just wondered why it would take so long to load an empty catalouge so i went and disabled all the upate checks and moved them to a cronjob so the pageloading wouldnt be affected, and went step by step through the entire backend looking for ways to speed up page loads, didnt exactly find anything that affected the 11 second load time, and i rememevred during the install i was asked to choose, a performance level, which i selected low, and i wonder what that did, cuz there doesnt seem to be a selection now the install has been completed?  11 seconds to load an empty catalog just doesnt seem right.

Also Dh42, Mr.. Mod. its not "right" to give away a broken product then offer a paid support plan to fix it, simple as that man.

• Like 1

Its a microinstance witgh a gb of ram, Dh42. not very powerful, but fast enuf to load a fully blown mgnto catalog with over 1500 products in 4 seconds.

Tasks:  65 total,   1 running,  64 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  2.8 us,  0.2 sy,  0.0 ni, 96.9 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   1025500 total,   823308 used,   202192 free,    83648 buffers
KiB Swap:        0 total,        0 used,        0 free,   211432 cached

Linux ip-172-31-16-131 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3 x86_64 GNU/Linux

PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u14 (cli) (built: Aug 21 2014 08:36:44)   (im not running the site with cli i just did this to get the version)
Copyright © 1997-2012 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright © 1998-2012 Zend Technologies
    with XCache v2.0.0, Copyright © 2005-2012, by mOo

Im also using AWS RDS and Memcache and as mentioned tested with other software (under pressure).

You know during the install it asks what performance level the user would like? I selected low, and then afterwards, i thought.. damn, i shoulda selected high, and went looking for a way to do so and couldnt find much.

What I think the install is referring to is basically how much info PrestaShop can dump at once, nothing as to how performance will be after you install it. More than likely it is using the same method that the upgrade uses in regard to performance. 

Interesting that Magento loads faster, but honestly AWS instances are not that great. I am thinking something might be misconfigured somewhere. Have you speed tested it with Xcache enabled / disabled? Also with the Xcache setting in the backoffice enabled / disabled? Memcache could be an issue too, most people set it up, but use it incorrectly. 

• Like 1

Yeh, i did, i was shocked too, magento is like a slow old snail, i tested with Xcache as well 11 sec, empty catalog ... :/  and not 11 sec to me to an independant testing box. to me, here in au its like 25seconds per page load, borderline un-useable which is dissapointing it looks great.

I switched back to Xcache, since its already installed I've noticed the new version of Xcache is literally twice as fast as APC, so ill stick with that. 

The servers a bare bones, aws linux instance with php apache and mysql, i manage 25+ other servers with the same software, and multiple sites running all kinds of ecommerce software and none of this problem, on the same instance there is also a Magento store with 1500+ products, able to load pages in 4-5 seconds.

Is there some back-chatter nehind the scenes talk to i can manually disable? i mean it appears as tho the software is phoning home, and that is the delay. I noticed this in the admin as well, forever this box in the top left is loading?

US/West (Oregon) - You know its really strange, the delay when loading pages, even in the admin, is not consitant, sometimes, ill click say.. Products.... and the page wil load in the blink of an eye, and other times, ill click Products and wait 15 seconds for the page to display.

I have a few dedicated boxes, none are as fast (network wise) as the AWS instances, ill keep chipping away for now, I appreciate the help, thank-you.

If i could make 1 suggestion, make the sample data, items, etc, categories, orders, a selectable option during install, i just wanta clean base to begin with and .. i dunno.. can i delete sample orders ? its a mess atm. :(

I agree with IbanezOr. When I was downloading and doing the install there were all kinds of blurbs saying call a phone number for installation help. When I called I was quoted a price of $399 for 12 months of support. There is and was NO support for the installation. I agree that Its not "right" to give away a broken product then offer a paid support plan to fix it, simple as that.

Personally I installed Prestashop twice and ran into the same issue (server error) while clicking on the Modules link. I have since decided to reject this product. It is not ready for use and there is no support. While this forum is informative, there is no real support and the people tend to get defensive when a problem is reported.

I can see how the installation help can be misleading. Ideally the product is not broken, it is more than likely an issue with the hosting.

I can see what you guys mean, but there are no free opensource products that I can think of that offer any kind of free support other than forum based support. Wordpress doesn't. Joomla doesn't. Drupal doesn't. Magento doesn't even have a forum. 

Personally I installed Prestashop twice and ran into the same issue (server error) while clicking on the Modules link. I have since decided to reject this product. It is not ready for use and there is no support. While this forum is informative, there is no real support and the people tend to get defensive when a problem is reported.

usually it's a problem with limited resources on your hosting account. i bet on memory problem.

But if the server can host other ecommerce software (as the OP stated) and it can load it rather "quickly" (4 seconds), then it really makes you wonder what unique requirements exist for Prestashop that would cause these issues, and why would those unique requirements would not be stated?

It appears as tho the latency is related to the network, you see.. PrestaShop shows the load time of each page in the admin down in the bottom left, for me, on a fast AWS host, when im in the admin, ive not seen this load time go much higher than 0.142s, thats very fast, faster than magento, (pretty much everything is faster than magento), on the front end, ive no way to distinguish the difference or the seperation of network latency, or, my connection from an internation location to the AWS host, and the loadtime calculated, it does appear as tho most of the waiting im doing is related to the network latency as prev mentioned, i profiled the page and realised its mostly my ISP to blame, to the people reading this thread, Ive been installing, customizing, and managing eCommerce software, both paid and free/open src, for 20+ years, you will not find much around that can compete with PrestaShop, keep in mind, the old addage, of, if you run complex, state of the art, software, with it comes complex issues, the most new tech u combine into your product to make i greater, the more complex the issues can become, and as far as eCommerce goes, from what ive seen, not a huge portion of whats out there but a sizeable one, PrestaShop wins hands down on many fronts, enough fronts lets just say to compell me to figure out any small issues, because i feel its worth it.

PrestaShop also offer you guys a real human touch, i havnt paid a cent and already have a lot of help from people here which is a lot more than i will get from most other places, magento, for instance doesnt have a forum and the community edition doesnt come with _any_ support.  Most of the other eCommerce solutions have some levels of support but the response times are srsly not good.

Im going to stick with it, because its better than the alternatives by a country mile, so if you have some problems like i did during the initial phases of setting up PrestaShop, remember, you didnt learn to ride a bike over night!! Stick with it, i think you'll find if you spend the amount of time i have with eCommerce software in general, you will prob wind up back here at some point for a multitude of reasons, quality being the formost.

P.S Katzby: if your unfamiliar, or struggle with the setup, maybe you should get a web developer to hook that up for you, someone like me, wont charge you much to configure software, in fact if you look at places like freelancer you can even get custom software built for your PrestaShop, have it setup, have other carts migrated to it by professional developers for at little as $15.00/hr so its not like you have no options, you know i can setup a full PrestaShop with lets say, 20-50 cat and sub categories, and 200 products along with variations in product attributes for you in less than 2 days, which is very minal cost to you, if you cant figure it out and dont want to pay these guys that much for a years support then talk to web developers to help you do it, for the same price as a 12 month support plan i could have the entire thing setup and done for you in full @Katzby :)