"Free shipping" erroneously displayed in cart if a price range disabled for Visitor

Omk

In the store that I am setting up there is shipping to the whole world. I have configured the carriers using the default Prestashop carrier module.

We are mainly shipping to other EU countries, but also locally using the national carrier.

I need to set up the shipping so that by default the EU shipping price is shown in the cart. The national rate is cheaper than the EU rate. The national rate should be shown to the customer only after registering to the store with their address.

If I enable the national rate for all users, all visitors from all over the world are shown the very low national shipping rate, which of course is incorrect for all other users except for those few local customers who can use the national shipping rate.

So I tried disabling the national rate for all visitors, and thought that the next available rate will be shown - the EU rate. But no, now it shows "Free shipping!" in the cart. And this is of course totally wrong and it is even illegal to show such false information there, and then suddenly charge for the shipping after customer has entered their address.

So for the time being, I disabled the national carrier, and now the prices for the rest of the EU are shown correctly.

What kind of solutions have you implemented for this problem?

Hmm, testing this further:

Is there some feature in Presta which automatically detects the country where the visitor is, and auto-selects the correct shipping method based on this detected location? Is there a way to fool this location detection to test whether it works right?