MySQL version: 10.1.0-MariaDB

I have also used MariaDB in my last 2 projects (not PrestaShop-related) with no problems up to now.

I will be soon reimplenting a PrestaShop store, going from a 512MB RAM-1 vCPU VPS with Apache+PHP+MySQL+PS1.5 to a 4GB RAM-4 vCPU VPS with nginx+PHP-FPM+MariaDB+PS1.6.

I really hope the speed gain will be worth the effort (and the added cost of the new VPS)... :)

Edited by parsifal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I had been reading about a 10% speed boast just by adding the just released PHP 5.6. I installed and tested and could not confirm any speed advantage. I'm mainly looking for speed improvements related to the server sending first byte.

PHP 5.6 also, for whatever reason caused my social logins to malfunction. I quickly reverted back to the safety of PHP 5.4.15

I very happy with MariaDB, and Googles PageSpeed Module.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's a little early for PHP 5.6. I keep reading about better performance in 5.5+ due to native opcode caching, but there are other things that may cause problems to older PHP-based web apps (depreciation and changes to functions, function arguments etc.)...

• Like 1

btw: module in test that core cache db, similar in concept to sql slave, but something that one can implement without back bone changes mysql sync which is impossible for 99% of shop owners to implement..uses php shared memory (when enabled on server) else php server storage. 

the problem with db is 1) having to access for reads and 2) only paid versions support real cache (i.e. if I update record 'viewed' count, the db engine will immediate file vs file vs. nth time or withing certain time frame).  All serious performance rely on advanced db engine cache and/or use 'other' method, typically virtual file access (core caching).  I am after 'other'.  happy day, Fred

• Like 2

I've been playing with the Percona/MariaDB/MySQL innodb memcached plugin and not having much luck beyond getting the pieces installed but I can't get the plugin to initialize so if there are any PHP/mySQL gurus out there that think this is worth some time and effort I'd love to know how to setup a test environment so we can test functionality and performance.

Here are some links that will help get it installed and setup which is where I'm at but actually getting a Prestashop table loaded into cache is giving me fits.  So even some help in that area would be amazing.

Warning Not for casual/new admins --- "This will not be over quick... you will not enjoy this," - 300

http://the-phpjs-ldc.rgou.net/mysql/storage-engines.html#innodb-memcached

Always trying to find ways to improve performance using tools that are free "if you're willing to go through the pains of the setup".

Thanks-

James

• 1 year later...

With Memcache and shopping carts you need to exclude from cache any calls that relate to changing data. For example if I add to the cart, I not only need to stop my cart from being cached, but if I continue shopping I'm going to need to make sure all modules that show updated data are not included in the cache. So Memcached is not something you just turn on and forget about. Memcached is lots of work. That said if you are already using it or are planning on it, then yes you can use the same mySQL pluggin for memcached.

Please see,

http://itresident.com/mysql/innodb-memcached-plugin/

Edited by Bill Dalton (see edit history)

With Memcache and shopping carts you need to exclude from cache any calls that relate to changing data. For example if I add to the cart, I not only need to stop my cart from being cached, but if I continue shopping I'm going to need to make sure all modules that show updated data are not included in the cache. So Memcached is not something you just turn on and forget about. Memcached is lots of work. That said if you are already using it or are planning on it, then yes you can use the same mySQL pluggin for memcached.

Please see,

http://itresident.com/mysql/innodb-memcached-plugin/

But I just mean to activate it on the PS Performance Menu. I stopped using it since I moved to MariaDB.

What's your configuration on Performance? The last one call "cache" with Memcached, APC, Xcache available.

I've use Memcached, Xcache and APC in the past (with mysql); and they've work.

Thanks.

Got it.  :)

What version of MariaDB are you using? Here is an article testing PS 1.6X with MariaDB 10.X

http://build.prestashop.com/news/prestashop-1-6-1-0-performances/

Using MariaDB 10.1.8

Thanks a lot for the article, this is the information I was looking for:

"Final note: Whereas in 1.6.0.14 we recommended to not enable the PrestaShop cache, in 1.6.1.0 we recommend you to enable it, with a local Memcached server (APC should be OK as well)."

So I'll use Memcached.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

btw: module in test that core cache db, similar in concept to sql slave, but something that one can implement without back bone changes mysql sync which is impossible for 99% of shop owners to implement..uses php shared memory (when enabled on server) else php server storage. 

the problem with db is 1) having to access for reads and 2) only paid versions support real cache (i.e. if I update record 'viewed' count, the db engine will immediate file vs file vs. nth time or withing certain time frame).  All serious performance rely on advanced db engine cache and/or use 'other' method, typically virtual file access (core caching).  I am after 'other'.  happy day, Fred

I'm back on this pet project. :)  again.

• Like 1