Should I use multistore?

mparker

Hi,

I have a PS 1.6 shop in 2 languages (English, Estonian) and have the following issues:

1) sometimes new users get automatically redirected to English version, though they come from the link to the Estonian site. This is because of their browser settings probably, but this is something I would like to avoid. If I advertise a direct link to Estonian site, Prestashop should serve Estonian site, not to direct anywhere.

2) I would like to have some products disabled in one language version, but keep them available in the other.

It seems I should use multi-store to prevent both of those issues? Are there any other suggestions or known drawbacks? I wouldn't like to make the set up more complicated than needed, as the store is quite small.

I was also confused with the PS 1.6 admin interface that suggests: 

"Warning: Enabling the "share customers" and "share orders" options is not recommended. Once activated and orders are created, you will not be able to disable these options. If you need these options, we recommend using several categories rather than several shops."

How could I use categories rather than several shops?

1. if you include the Estonian 'language' part of url, then it should show that language when clicked, (if not then this is a bug in ps)  Can you provide live example of how you are linking?

2. That is not possible in native PrestaShop, i.e. enable/disable by language.

tip: the key to multishop, is multiplexing same content using single gTLD (.com for example) and one or more ccTLD's(.de for example).  You then create the additional ccTLD to share important aspects, products, categories etc...when done correctly you will get sitemap with multiple domains (links) and increase your by country SEO significantly.  it's da bomb!

happy multiplexing!

El Patron,

1. Not quite sure how the re-direction happens... I've only shared the link:

http://www.urbanwille.com/et/fitness/61-withings-smart-body-analyzer-ws-50.html

Checking from Google Analytics, I see that many new users from this traffic source also land on: http://www.urbanwille.com/en/fitness/61-withings-smart-body-analyzer-ws-50-scale-ios-android-ws-50.html

All such users who land in that page have browser language 'en-us'.

So I have to conclude that PS uses browser language as a priority over the language defined in the link.

2. Yes, I was thinking that the only way to get the possibility to disable some products, is to create a multi-store and then I could define which products are available in which stores.

The tip on SEO is interesting.. do you mean that if I mirror the same content (English) in .com and .fi that could improve SEO rankings? Isn't there a problem that domain authority becomes weaker, if it's shared for many domains?

1. yes on language as you described, i.e. I clicked link received /en/  I switched my browser to et, cleared cookies, clicked your link and received /et/.

logically this is correct, in that if I enter with browse en, and you have en I should see en.

2. yes, mutlshop would be a good option to look at

(The tip on SEO is interesting.. do you mean that if I mirror the same content (English) in .com and .fi that could improve SEO rankings? Isn't there a problem that domain authority becomes weaker, if it's shared for many domains?)

actually a ccTLD is a strong (good) signal to search engines that your content is localized for that country, then you would see crawlers like google.fr :)  it's da bomb...and ps will create separate sitemap (more links).

we are however starting to see the use of IETF language codes replacing two character url lang codes, from  /en/ to  /en-us/ for example.  that is what we hope to see happen soon in ps.