Testing upgrade 1.4 to 1.6 local or host server?

Hi guys,

On the instructions for upgrading, I am going from 1.4... to 1.6 so I have to do a manual install, it tells you to test your installation on your local computer using the likes of WAMP, my question is, is this necessary do you have to test on local machine or can you not just upload direct to a test folder on your host server? Or will this cause google SEO conflicts by having a duplicate site?

Thanks for any help in advance

fyi.. doing a manual upgrade is not necessary.  the auto upgrade module v1.4.1 is able to upgrade from PS v1.4

You will have to download the auto upgrade module directly from the addons store, and then install it in the back office.

the most important things are

1) back up your database and website content.  make sure you are able to restore from the backup... creating a test store in a subfolder is perfectly fine... and it is a good practice to make sure your back up files can be restored

2) test test test before you try to upgrade your live store...

• Like 1

Hey Guys, really appreciate your reply this is very helpful!!

EI Patron, thank you I will go ahead with this and create a sub folder on the host server for testing as per instructions. I will turn my prod site on to maintenance mode and when the test site is up and running turn that on to maintenance mode and switch my prod site back to live so I can keep the shop running while testing the new install?

Bellini13, thanks for the info but having already tried to install using auto upgrade and just about managing to recover my website I will work with the manual install as I think its the safest option, and I will back up everything completely.

Do you guys know if the latest stable version fixes the issue where you have a background image for sub categories? When I tested it before it would create a box and leave a gap under the title after you change the image but was more noticable on mobile devices and it was driving me mad ha, I need the upgrade done asap so can't afford delays.

Thanks again guys for your time!

Edited by Clinton12 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Can you help with this?

I am trying to test on another domain but after doing everything as per instructions the default theme comes up with no products or hardly anything from the database, I imported the database via phpmyadmin and made the changes in the config setting file.

I assume I am forgetting a big thing like other config files as it is now on a different domain name, any ideas?

Thank you

Hi EI Patron,

I am having awful trouble trying to import my existing database (ps 1.4.8) to a fresh new install of the latest version, I have done everything as per instructions but its like my existing database is overwritten with the default database that comes with prestashop, is there some sort of compatibility issue with these two versions? Or am I missing out something obvious?

Any help would be appreciated

PS: does anyone know what is the best POS to use with the latest version of PS?

Thank you

HI, you can't use 1.4 db with fresh install.

Review this document:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Updating+PrestaShop

and this

http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/set-up-a-test-server-for-your-online-store/

you would need to download (via ftp) your shop files.

then you set the connection to localhost db or remote test db. (settings.inc.php)

delete the .htaccess in test environment

go to back office-->preferences-->seo and urls, set the base uri (1.4)

then turn on/off friendly urls (you can also use generator in 1.4)

as for off topic question POS, best to open new topic.

• Like 1