images not displaying

no reply ? :(

Hello all, 

I am new to prestashop and I recently installed it (there was not upgrade or anything like that) 
The theme was the default bootstrap. 

As I was trying to figure out everything, I deleted the categories to add my own. Once I cleared the cache and went on my website, all my images disappeared. 

note that adding images to products WORK . its all the images in the modules that do not work

I tried to add "new image type" under preferences>images by adding a new size but that didn't work. 

I have searched EVERYWHERE on the web to try to figure out this issue but I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

Perhaps, I don't know how to upload images? is there a specific procedure I should follow? should the images be stored anywhere on the server perhaps? but then, why would they offer to pick pictures of my computer directly?

Also, is there a way to set the theme back to its ORIGINAL state (where there were all the pictures and everything)? 

Is there GOOD tutorials out there that have the new prestashop back office? 

The website is topshop.sn and attached are the results of the images on the website. 

I am genuinely confused and I really hoping someone can help me. 

post-837151-0-15878300-1410266154_thumb.png

post-837151-0-21605300-1410266156_thumb.png

Edited by nidale.hajjar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nidale,

Are you still dealing with this issue? If your images disappeared before you added the new image type, I don't know what happened, but I can tell you that recently when I had to "add new image type" I freaked out because all my images disappeared on my site! Then I realized that when you add a new image type, you have to regenerate all your images. Did you try to regenerate yet? (Preferences > Images: Regenerate Thumbnails) You can select which types of images to regenerate in the pulldown. You might want to back up your whole site first and the database, just in case it goes wrong the first time. I'm not sure I understood your question though.... 

Hello! 

No, this issue didn't get solved at all.  I couldn't find an answer and so I completely backed up  the original files on the server and I am working on getting the website up and running again. 

I am kind of scared this issue would happen again since I don't know where it comes from or what caused it. 

Can you explain the concept of adding a new image type again? Is it that if I want a certain size of an image on my website I add it? I don't understand that because shouldn't the image adapt to the specific module you are putting it in? 

I didn't try regenerating though, it will be my next step the next time I want to add an image. 

Thank you for replying !

You're welcome. Yes, I agree it's scary when you lose all your images and you don't know why. It happened to me at midnight and my site was live. I thought, my client's going to kill me! I was in a total panic, but slowly I regenerated all the missing images.

I will try to explain adding a new image type, though I'm not an expert. Prestashop comes with some sizes of default image types set up, but you might want to set up a new module and the image size that you want is not on there. So that's when you would want to add new image type. Out of the box, a module uses one of the default sizes, but you might want a different size. Setting up an image type allows the sizing of the image to be automated to the dimensions you specified. However in order to get your module to use your new image type, you have to specify it in the template for that module, which would require coding. 

I think because of the way Prestashop structured their image system, any time you add or edit an image type, you are affecting the whole engine, so you are required to "regenerate thumbnails." It says "thumbnails" but they mean the larger images too. Any time you edit an image type it says "After modification, do not forget to regenerate thumbnails."

So I am guessing when you added a new image type, it caused you to lose all your images. Hopefully you only have to regenerate some of the images, which you can choose in the pulldown menu.

I have to warn you that you might get a timeout error when you try to regenerate, and it only gets through a portion of the images. That's what happened to me. The first time you regenerate, check the box Erase Previous Images. But if it times out, on the next try, turn that box off. This means that it will continue where it left off and not redo the ones it just generated. Repeat this until you get the whole batch done. It will take some time though. 

You might not get a timeout error if your server settings are good and you don't have many images. I'd say that every time you want to "add new image type," back up your whole site and database first. If you had a back up of the images, then you could just copy them back to your site instead of regenerating. You'd have to know where to put them and be careful not to overwrite the new ones though.

Sorry if I wrote too much. Hope I haven't confused you more!