Write permissions problem on modules folder

I moved my PS 1.5.6.1 instalaltion from localhost to remote server.

In the BO->Advanced Parameters->Informations I have an alert:

Set writing permission to "modules" folder and subfolders

Well, I tryed any possible combination of CHMOD value up to 777 but the message is still there.

How to get rid of that error??

Thank El Patron,

unfortunatelly if I set CHMOD as indicated, the message in BO is still present.

More, I tryed to modify some translations. To avoid a Fatal Error I had to set CHMOD to 777 to correctly save the new translation.

Am I supposed to set to 777 when modifying and the revert to 755-644 once done? Or should it work with the settings you indicated?

some of hosting use own other than "default" chmods,

so the question is, where is your website hosted?

i know several hosts which uses different permissions (and 777 not work there) like ovh, or aruba host

Hi Vekia,

I'm currently hosted on a VPS on Aruba. I'm not an expert so probably I'm missing something important related to the system configuration. Any help will be greatly appreciated since I noted that almost all the error and warning messages I see since the migration to the server are related to CHMOD settings.

• 6 months later...

Sorry, you are right about permissions. 

My point was that usually the error persists is there are some manual file transfers to site with filezilla or other tools and the owner of the file is set to root instead of proper owner. In this case you must manually reset the owner of all files.

Sorry, you are right about permissions. 

My point was that usually the error persists is there are some manual file transfers to site with filezilla or other tools and the owner of the file is set to root instead of proper owner. In this case you must manually reset the owner of all files.

yes, I agree with you..when posting we have to explain exact command.   I have seen some weird setups before causing untold issues, especially when webmaster take short cuts, and unzips via ssh or other such method which sets owner incorrectly.  I am sure this has ruined many business's.  

one should also create ftp for that domain and not use root ftp credentials, that can also lead to issues that are difficult to debug later, if not impossible.

the best methodology for installing/transferring ps's is to search and find official doc or blog from PrestaShop.  If