Module updates fail with a success message

Hi

Since upgrading from 1.5.5.0 to 1.5.6.0 the automatic updates for modules have stopped working.

When I say automatic updates, I mean when you click Update It! in the module list.

When clicked it goes back to the top of the screen and says

The following module(s) were upgraded successfully

• - Blocks Content anywhere : 
    Current version1.0

Even though for this example it should be version 2.0.

If we ask the module developers to send us the actual file and update it manually, it does update and works fine.

I have just updated to prestashop 1.5.6.2 and that did not fix it.

Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks

Chris

Hi

Thanks for the reply. We turned this on and tried to upgrade.

We actually don't get ANY errors.

To clarify we have the following modules requiring upgrades.

An upgrade is available for some of your modules!

If we click on the upgrade for PS Seo Booster we jump to the option below.

logo.png
PS SEO Booster INSTALLED
Developed by : Nemo | Version : 1.2 (Update 1.4 Available on PrestaShop Addons) | Category : SEO

Description : Tweak all aspects of your SEO in 1-click, and many other features

Clicking on the Update It! Icon - seems to run the routine. 

We get the following confirmation at the top of the screen.

The following module(s) were upgraded successfully

• - PS SEO Booster : 
    Current version1.2

BUT it has only re-installed the current version 1.2 and not installed version 1.4

This happens for many modules and we request copies of the latest version from the authors and manually install OK.

However, clearly there is something wrong for this to happen.

Done all the usual about turning OFF all caching etc. before we run these.

Any other ideas?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 

I have same problem but on prestashop 1.5.6.1. Also when I assign new product ot Featured Product on home page it won't show new product until I reset the module ( or any module which I made some changes)

best regards 

martin

• 4 months later...

I had this problem, and the cause was ownership over the /modules/ directory.  I had changed ownership away from www-data for easy FTP use and forget to change it back.  You can verify ownership by ls -l in the directory one up from modules - it should stick out like a sore thumb if not correct.  To change the ownership, chown -R www-data modules.  Then re-start the server to be safe.

but we can change ownership only if we are a host manager (vps / dedicated)

so what if we are on shared hosting account? :F

Well, if we're in that position, eek, that sucks, then I would back-up and re-install!  

If you're stuck for more than an acceptable amount of time, the next step: Install clean version of PrestaShop with the same version of the PS with the problem - does the clean install have the problem?  If the answer is no, then some combination of modules, customizations, edits, etc caused the issue.  In my experience, rarely is there a legitimate bug in PrestaShop with a version that's been out for a few months.

This may seem simple, but sometimes when you get into a problem, looking for answers discretely only makes matters worse, ya know?

Separately, I really recommend to all to try installing their next site on a dedicated server.  It's pretty cheap via the cloud ($10/month), and you get all the control of your server.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I'm still facing this issue. I tried to give the suggested rights for the PrestaShop store but it didn't fix my problem, currently I'm testing this on a local environment. 

Does anyone know something else that might cause this?

Thank you!