Pre-installation settings (PHP 5, htaccess) for certain hosting services

(Originally posted on February 08, 2008)

Often dedicated or shared servers are activated for PHP 4 but not PHP 5.

To install PrestaShop, PHP 5 must be activated.

The following is a list of procedures of which we are aware:

1&1;

Create an .htaccess file and add this line:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Otherwise, you can try renaming the PHP files to be executed in PHP 5 by changing the extention to ".php".

For URL re-writing, add these lines:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /

Free :

php 1

OVH :

SetEnv PHP_VER 5

To deactivate global registers:

SetEnv REGISTER_GLOBALS 0

Warning: Dot not use CHMOD 777, OVH only allow CHMOD 755

GoDaddy :

How to fix PHP5 if you use Godaddy.com:

To Change Your Default PHP Language

# Log in to your Account Manager.
# In the My Products section, select Hosting Account List.
# Next to the hosting account you want to modify, click Open.
# In the Content section of the Hosting Control Center, click the Languages icon.
# Select PHP version you'd like to set as the default.
# Click Continue.
# Verify the listed changes, and then click Update.

Your Language change is submitted. Please allow up to 24 hours for the change to be processed by the hosting server.

Please don't hesitate to post a bug report concerning the tips needed to make PrestaShop run on your hosting service. We will continually add them to this post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

godaddy win hosting permission issue.

when i installed prestashop, it listed the permissions as being all open and correct, this is not true you have to go to the control panel of godaddy and change them all.... (attached is what needs to be done)

1599_yHEOCNmJ810SoGo5KWKX_t

:question: Online servers

Hi,

I use online.net servers.
I've this error : " Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in LanguagesManager.php on line 7"

It seems I don't use the right php version.

I modified the htacces file as free server solution.
But it doesn't work.

Can you help me ?

Thank's a lot.

i have changed over to linux at godaddy and everything works ok, so if you are going to host at godaddy choose linux server!! if you already have a win account it is really easy to change over, they move it for you , you just have to point your dns to the new ip address.

Thanks... Yesterday I tried many things. Today I created the .htaccess and put the line

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php 

Worked in SiteGround.com hosting.
It solved the problem after the installation. Yesterday the only message I got was

There is 1 error

1. employee does not exist, or bad password

After creating the .htaccess I finally could log in in the backend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I posted in another thread on this topic until I seen this thread. I have godaddy and have requested the switch from PHP 4 to 5. It is in the process.

However, I had a question.............why is prestashop only configured to work with php 5 ? should it not be backwards compatible ? or atleast allow for php 4 ??

It seems MANY have had this problem, so why is the code not altered to allow for php 4 ?

Just an idea

Chris

There are two main reasons I can think of:

1) PHP4 is now unsupported, so is likely to disappear from most hosting packages (the only reason it's still there is a combination of apathy and backwards-compatibility with some really ancient/poorly written code).
2) The majority of the nice functionality offered by PrestaShop is enabled through the use of new features which were introduced in PHP5. Having to get these same features working in PHP4 (duplicating the work of many others) would slow development down to a crawl.

:-)

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, the version on the server i use is php4,
i create the .htaccess with this line:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

but instead the white screen, now i've got the following error:

<?php function microtime_float() { list($usec, $sec) = explode(" ", microtime()); return ((float)$usec + (float)$sec); } include(dirname(__FILE__).'/config/config.inc.php'); include(dirname(__FILE__).'/header.php'); $smarty->assign('HOOK_HOME', Module::hookExec('home')); $smarty->display(_PS_THEME_DIR_.'index.tpl'); include(dirname(__FILE__).'/footer.php'); ?>

• 1 month later...

If PHP5 isn't installed on the server nothing you add to an .htaccess file will allow PHP5 execution. I'm confused as to why anyone would have two php installations anyways -- does that make sense? It would only cause conflict on the server. If anything, have PHP5 installed on the server. Most hosts do this for free. If you are on a dedicated server call your tech support and have them install it for you (usually costs money.) By now PHP4 is very outdated compared to PHP5, but even with the upgrade PHP5 scales nicely for scripts written for PHP4 so upgrading the server itself is a much better solution. If I misread the thread my bad lol

• 4 weeks later...
i installed on 000webhost.com fine

I installed in on their sister host Hosting 24, but my uploads take too long & the server times out. I can only get my Max Execution raised to 300 seconds. Not nearly enough time for the large 200MB they allow for upload sizes. I don't want to migrate to a new host, but it looks as if I'll have to anyway. :(
The .htacess work around works ok, if my file is under 20 MB.

i have changed over to linux at godaddy and everything works ok, so if you are going to host at godaddy choose linux server!! if you already have a win account it is really easy to change over, they move it for you , you just have to point your dns to the new ip address.

@russty You're AWESOME!!! Thank you for the advices.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I need help with installing prestashop at hostgator.com.
ive already uploaded the files and when i went to the install site address,
this error message came up, "
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/sugih/public_html/hadiahku/shop/install/index.php on line 97"

Can i get some advice on how to get this up and running.
Thanks.

Sugih

I need help installing at IpowerWeb...http://www.ipowerweb.com

I have PHP 5+ enabled however when I input the information for the database connection, it states:

"Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields."

I have run a database connection test script at my host using the settings I would use at the store and it will connect...but not able to connect using the installation script. PLEASE HELP

Here are my settings:

Database Server name: hcmotion.accountsupportmysql.com
Database: shoppe
Login: hcmotion
Password: ********

I contacted my host and we were able to connect to the database using a test script using the setting above at:

http://healthcare-motion.com/testdb.php

...and this was successful!

the location of the installation is simply: http://www.healthcare-motion.com/

Am I missing something in my settings? I need help with this ASAP as my client wants to use PrestaShop. States he looked into a lot of shops but wants this one...so if someone can please help me not look bad...that would be great :)

I have tried everything I know!

Regards,

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour à tous !
:red:
Je viens de passer la nuit à l'installation de prestashop (je n'y connais rien quoi...) et lorsque je veux aller du côté admin voici l'erreur que j'ai et qui m'empêche de me connecter :

Il y a 1 erreur

1. Path is not the same between your browser and you server :

- Server:
admin1974/login.php

- Browser:
mimimagic/admin1974/login.php

Quelqu'un pourrait il m'aider ?! :grrr: ;-)

I have PHP 5+ enabled however when I input the information for the database connection, it states:

"Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields."

I have run a database connection test script at my host using the settings I would use at the store and it will connect...but not able to connect using the installation script. PLEASE HELP

Here are my settings:

I contacted my host and we were able to connect to the database using a test script using the setting above at:

Am I missing something in my settings? I need help with this ASAP as my client wants to use PrestaShop. States he looked into a lot of shops but wants this one...so if someone can please help me not look bad...that would be great :)

Regards,

Harry

Any suggestions? Please? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I also can't get past page 2 system compatibility. I changed all the permissions as stated but it still won't let me go pass this. Did you do something else?

What about installation on www.000webhost.com where I cant pass for the second stage - system compatibility?

i installed on 000webhost.com fine and here is the sample of the site www.tongfaafaasai.com

• 2 weeks later...

THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO GODADDY HOSTING

I tried to load Prestashop on several of my hosting accounts for testing.

However after many attempts on my free hosting accounts and several walk thrus of the installation process. I discovered that I could only get Prestashop to work on paid hosting accounts.

On each attempt of the installation the results were the same. On all hosting accounts that were free, the installation froze at the 2nd screen with "optional installation"

On both paid hosting accounts the installation was flawless.

I don't know if this result is common but it seems that the people getting stuck on page 2 of the installation are on free hosting

Yes I believe that must be true, I was trying to install a free webhost and it won't let me get pass page 2. I have not tried to install it on a paid hosting yet because I wanted to try this software first before committing to it. too bad..

why not install a WAMP on your own computer -its easy to do and gives you max flexibility for testing

EasyPHP for example is a complete package allowing to use all the power and the flexibility that offers the dynamic language PHP. Package includes an Apache server, a MySQL database, PHPMyAdmin. see e.g easy php

there are others also.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I also can't get past page 2 system compatibility. I changed all the permissions as stated but it still won't let me go pass this. Did you do something else?

What about installation on www.000webhost.com where I cant pass for the second stage - system compatibility?

i installed on 000webhost.com fine and here is the sample of the site www.tongfaafaasai.com

try disabling this http://members.000webhost.com/analytics.php :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it finally did work when I disabled analytics however I find that the shipping module is lacking in features. It would work if your product had just one flat rate going anywhere but if you are dealing with different products and weights it gets cumbersome to figure out the rates when other software carts have it compute for you automatic when linked to USPS or UPS. (I know this feature is still under development in pretashop). It's a promising shopping cart software though, if the shipping module were more developed..

• 2 weeks later...

I tried success to install in local host
but when I did for hosting service linux shared it got error message "Fatal error: Undefined class name 'tools' in /home/mitra4/public_html/catalog/config/config.inc.php on line 29"
and still cannot able to install
please help me out here

I have the same problem, just mine is problem in the line 28 of config.inc.php )))

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/www/uuuq.com/s/h/o/shop111/htdocs) in /www/uuuq.com/s/h/o/shop111/htdocs/config/config.inc.php on line 28

• 1 month later...

So has anyone been able to get Prestashop to work on GoDaddy.com using the basic Economy plan that comes free with a domain? Or was edcookct correct when he wrote:

THIS ONLY PERTAINS TO GODADDY HOSTING

I tried to load Prestashop on several of my hosting accounts for testing.

However after many attempts on my free hosting accounts and several walk thrus of the installation process. I discovered that I could only get Prestashop to work on paid hosting accounts.

On each attempt of the installation the results were the same. On all hosting accounts that were free, the installation froze at the 2nd screen with "optional installation"

On both paid hosting accounts the installation was flawless.

I don't know if this result is common but it seems that the people getting stuck on page 2 of the installation are on free hosting

I really want to use Prestashop, but I can't get it working on my GoDaddy account!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi
i was able to do the setup on godaddy.Just grant write Permission form godaddy control pannel recursively .

but it throws many many run time error's .i think PS is not compatible with IIS .(just my guess or maybe i am missing something : )

i think PS is just fantastic with apache or any unix/linux based webserver.

Cheers
Sudhir

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm using uk2.net to host prestashop, discovered today that 777 cannot be used as cpanel not happy. Only use 755 from now on. This will be my third reinstall of presta onto UK2 servers and hope it will be the last and work !

(I assume not using 777 is part of security measures ?)

This has caused many different permission problems for me possibly relating to accessing.....
1)paypal validation.php related to IPN - denied 500 internal server error
2)Stock / quantity not changing after orders made.
3) Cart not emptying
4) No order history in Back Office
5) Wishlist / email friend link not working internal server error 500

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Maybe somebody have such problem as my?
I worked with PS Script on Win32 Platform, and then move it to Linux
hosting. And nothing work...just white screen. I have become find problem
and understand that it because of capital letters. LanguagesManager.php and
languagesmanager.php - are the same files for Win but different for Linux.
What files need to be renamed else?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i'm try this cms on Ubuntu 9 with Xampp 1.7 version.
i have this error after installation :

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /opt/lampp/htdocs/web/reydistro/init.php on line 19

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /opt/lampp/htdocs/web/reydistro/classes/Cookie.php on line 70

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /opt/lampp/htdocs/web/reydistro/classes/Blowfish.php on line 412

anybody can help me??

thanks

What FTP manager did you use? I solved this problem. I have used Total commander and it was rename all filenames to lower case)))
Use Far manager, or Norton Commander :)

Oke BARV, i try to change the filenames to lowercase,
Now i'm try to install Gnome Commanders first.
thanks for your assist brother.

i'm trying and reported later..

An easier upgrade process would really help. Please PrestaShop administrators, and community members, CREATE an easier way to upgrade!! I spent hours today trying to upgrade. People with no skills for PHP and MySQL Databases would be completely lost.

Also the upgrade instructions aren't 100% complete after step 14.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are my settings:

Regards,

Harry

Any suggestions? Please? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also with IPOWER
and I have settings problem
, did you fix it? +++++++
if so, how?
Thanks
CorreoHS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi
i was able to do the setup on godaddy.Just grant write Permission form godaddy control pannel recursively .

but it throws many many run time error's .i think PS is not compatible with IIS .(just my guess or maybe i am missing something : )

i think PS is just fantastic with apache or any unix/linux based webserver.

Cheers
Sudhir

How do you do this exactly?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are on shared hosting you'll have to include your hosting username as a prefix for the DB name and DB username.. ie;
Database name: hostingusername_dbname
Login: hostingusername_dbuser
Password: dbpassword (no prefix required)

The prefix will usually be the same as the username for Cpanel.

Hope that helps,
Violet

• 1 month later...
godaddy win hosting permission issue.

when i installed prestashop, it listed the permissions as being all open and correct, this is not true you have to go to the control panel of godaddy and change them all.... (attached is what needs to be done)

Hey Dude,

Can you please help me as i want to install prestashop on my Godaddy account...and the thing is stuck on setup 2 only..pls help me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.
I did install "PrestaShop" on localhost without any problem, but now that upload it on www.000webhost.com, in setp #2 of installing "PrestaShop" , setup stay on this page and nothing.

"Next" Button is enabled but not work.

please guide me.
thanks.

23683_mmHDg3JKn1hFpwxw0CUW_t

23686_hcgiUK3MdRqh7hzNVbZj_t

• 4 months later...

I am using 1and1 Linux hosting package and am getting the following error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/1/d266887433/htdocs/OWG1/install/classes/ToolsInstall.php on line 4

Can someone please help?

I am using 1and1 Linux hosting package and am getting the following error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/1/d266887433/htdocs/OWG1/install/classes/ToolsInstall.php on line 4

Can someone please help?

You must activate PHP5 on your host.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

version on the server i use is php4,
my .htaccess have this line:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

but now i’ve got the following error:

<?php function microtime_float() { list($usec, $sec) = explode(” “, microtime()); return ((float)$usec + (float)$sec); } include(dirname(FILE).’/config/config.inc.php’); include(dirname(FILE).’/header.php’); $smarty->assign(‘HOOK_HOME’, Module::hookExec(‘home’)); $smarty->display(PS_THEME_DIR.‘index.tpl’); include(dirname(FILE).’/footer.php’); ?>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please help. I can not install on www.000webhost.com, its always say

The following settings are required. Please make sure the following checklist items are true.

If you have any questions, please visit our Documentation Wiki and/or Community Forum.

Optional set-up

can you help me step by step

all directory on my public html, already chmod 777
and sql already created

what else...

thanks before

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Upgrades are a two stage process. Firstly you need to upload the new core files (remember NOT to overwrite any files you may have customised such as email templates, translations and images - it is best to remove those files from the distribution prior to upload). If your host requires it you will have to reapply the permissions changes to folders (they may have defaulted back to the server standard, depending on how you perform the file upload).

You then have to go to http://www.example.com/install and it should detect an existing installation and offer you the (default) option to perform a database upgrade (rather than a full install). The installer should warn you of any incompatibilities and folder permissions issues which you should fix at this stage.

You should not have to reapply changes to your server configuration (in 1.4 additional code for the .htaccess file should be added via the Back Office screen). Remember to regenerate the ,htaccess and robots.txt files as required after the upgrade is complete.

Obviously it is strongly recommended that you back up both the filesystem and database before starting the process.

Paul

• 8 months later...

I can't get anything to work, not even my server Netfirms. None of their "simple scripts" work, my local host does not work, I can't log into it, nor phpmyadmin, everything wants a password that I don't know exists. I don't know where to make changes and nothing makes sense anymore. I am really frustrated.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...