PHP sessions path is not writable

Hi guys,

I tried to install the new release 1.5.4 and I failed at the following error message, see below the red marked text.

We are currently checking PrestaShop compatibility with your system environment

If you have any questions, please visit our documentation and community forum.

Oops! Please correct the item(s) below, and then click "Refresh information" to test the compatibility of your new system.

• PHP parameters:
  • Your PHP sessions path is not writable - check with your hosting provider: /tmp

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I already contacted the hosting provider and he said it´s a issue with the script and the temp path?!

post-524619-0-00246300-1364486688_thumb.png

post-524619-0-02796000-1364486709_thumb.png

Edited by jimboh (see edit history)

You can not just create a temp folder in the root and expect it to work, you need to edit your PHP.ini file and give a path to the temp file under sessions.save_path.

; where MODE is the octal representation of the mode. Note that this

; does not overwrite the process's umask.

session.save_path = /home/users/web/b1447/ipg.youraccount/cgi-bin/tmp

You probably should call your host and ask them to do this for you

Hi guys,

first I tried the tip of elpatron, I edited the two scripts but nothing changed.

Than I contact my host and this was the answer:

Access to the / tmp folder is in a shared hosting environment not possible. You can only access folders in your directory structure, so it is necessary to adjust the path in the script itself.

What I have to do now or better which file should be edited in which row?

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

I posted this above the trick is to know the correct path from you host to the cgl-bin folder which should be in the root of your directory.

The file that need to be edited is the PHP.ini file and is possibly accessible from your control panel if not then call your host again and ask them to set the sessions.save_path in the PHP.ini file.

Hi guys,

first I tried the tip of elpatron, I edited the two scripts but nothing changed.

Than I contact my host and this was the answer:

Access to the / tmp folder is in a shared hosting environment not possible. You can only access folders in your directory structure, so it is necessary to adjust the path in the script itself.

What I have to do now or better which file should be edited in which row?

Thanks for your help.

I have the exact same problem.

• Like 1

Hello guys again,

I ask the host support again and they answered the same as I wrote before:

"The way of the php.ini file is not possible. Normally, this can be adjusted within the script"

Who can help fng77 and me?

• Like 1

Hello guys again,

I ask the host support again and they answered the same as I wrote before:

"The way of the php.ini file is not possible. Normally, this can be adjusted within the script"

Who can help fng77 and me?

Yes! Please help us to fix this. We want to install 1.5.4!

We have same problem with our clients. On servers we running memcached for sassion.save_path and installation wont continiu due to write to session problem. We tried to change session.save_path to file but with same error.

I gave all of you the answer in my post above, you need to edit your session.save_path and give it a path similar to above.

This has worked for others and should work for you, the path as it is in the standard PHP.ini file points to no where and may even be commented out this is the root of the not writable error.

; session.save_path = "N;MODE;/path"

It needs a path like this:

session.save_path = /home/users/web/b1447/ipg.teamshepherdusa/cgi-bin/tmp

Notice that the path is not my actual url as you would type it into a browser but is the document root given by my host.

My actual URL is team-shepherdusa.com, In my case I could not install 1.5 as the install would roll back to Step 1 after clicking next on step 2.

I believe they have added script to the install to show this error as so many people were having issues with this.

You probably can find this path in your control panel, mine is displayed under system settings with other info about my account and is under the heading Document root.

I have written and helped many people with just this fix, if you do a forum search you will find the other post.

Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)

Hello everyone,

I solved this issue adding one line of code to install/models/system.php

Put this as first line and you should not see the error:

ini_set('session.save_path','/var/www/webXXX/phptmp/');

The path '/var/www/webXXX/phptmp/' is different from server to server. Ask your provider or check it with creating a phpinfo.php file:

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

save this file, open it in your browser and search for "

upload_tmp_dir

".

Feel free to ask me if there are any errors.

Irfan Cütcü

• 2 weeks later...

Step 2 of the installer script and I'm already pulling my hair out. This is not looking good.

Yes, I have posted several times how to fix this along with posting a link to the forge on the same issue.

Please take the time to read through the post before pulling your hair out, time will take care of that.