Prestashop template from scratch

Hi, everyone

I am searching for a nice prestashop template tutorial!

Until know I was creating new themes by copying the default theme and modifying it.. And know I would like to know exactly how a prestashop theme works and how to create one from scratch (empty folder).. Can someone help me out?

I would like something like this: http://www.techietip...p-13-theme.html

(unfortunately it's for version 1.3 and i would like one for version 1.5.5)

PS: I'm willing to write the tutorial my self is someone can at least explain what are the essential parts and hooks needed to create a basic theme.

I'm on it Elpatron,

I will try to create a blank template with only the hooks and i will write comments (explaining what each hook is calling) in the .tpt files instead of divs..

BTW: Is there a list with the necessary hooks for prestashop theme?

here is a list of the existing 1.5 hooks.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Hooks+in+PrestaShop+1.5

one can also create dynamic hooks via modules...I've not done a theme but I think it's very interesting....make sure to make the theme ps 'compliant', i.e installs and un-installs from the ps theme installer....make it load and unload without problem.....that is key...also make sure to check out responsive theme design...and look at performance...

good luck!

• Like 1

This will take a long time... I can't wait to finish... I think i'm going to strip down everything from the default theme and use that as an absulut blank theme.. i will upload it after i finish.... If thers any more information you think it would help please share and thank you for helping!

Just to give out my .02:

I wouldn't start "from scratch" with prestashop. We can do it with Wordpress, as we can use a barely customized html page as a template for it, but with Presta things are different.

Many variables are assigned in the templates themeselves, along with complex computations (such as product combinations, prices etc). It would require ages to build a proper template out of a blank page. My suggestions, which is also the path I always follow, is to mockup your design, erase all the css related to the default theme (a backup of course) and code that one nstead, adjusting html blocks where needed.

This is not the optimal way of doing things, but it's the only choice prestashop gives us. or so I think, but if anyone knows a better way, please LET-US-KNOW! :D

• Like 3

Yes.. it's quite hard to build a blank theme for prestashop (I'm not advancing very well).. But the problem is that I need the possibility to use bootstrap or simple css if i like and not be grounded to the default look of prestashop.. So I'm trying ti make a starter theme that you don't have to strip down and lose a lot of time with it..

Edited by hali6sic6 (see edit history)

I will certainly come up with something of starter theme that I will submit to the community but I need time and as much information as possible. I just hate the fact that its based on smarty.. Is there any way to change the template engine or something like that?

Nah, I'd drop that Idea, it' used for the back office too. A template system is not bad ...IF properly used ;) yeah, IF!

You'll hardly get some information on prestashop, I just discovered the developers introduced a new way to add new hooks... by chance. This is ridiculous! :D It's not even mentioned in the docs

• Like 1

Nah, I'd drop that Idea, it' used for the back office too. A template system is not bad ...IF properly used ;) yeah, IF!

You'll hardly get some information on prestashop, I just discovered the developers introduced a new way to add new hooks... by chance. This is ridiculous! :D It's not even mentioned in the docs

this about dynamic hooks?

• 1 month later...

I've tried *very hard* to build a theme from scratch using bootstrap: I'm still stuck 2 weeks later.

Getting around smarty's conditional, global.css, modules' css, modules' js, hacks to display modules in other blocks than their default one (moving shopping cart in the header drove me crazy :wacko: ) is a real pain.

There's too much logic scattered across many files. I think you're better off starting with the default theme and overriding whatever you need with your custom css files.

• Like 1

I've tried *very hard* to build a theme from scratch using bootstrap: I'm still stuck 2 weeks later.

Getting around smarty's conditional, global.css, modules' css, modules' js, hacks to display modules in other blocks than their default one (moving shopping cart in the header drove me crazy :wacko: ) is a real pain.

There's too much logic scattered across many files. I think you're better off starting with the default theme and overriding whatever you need with your custom css files.

Agreed.

Plus, I just found out that the compass extension known as "susy" is great for responsive themes with prestashop. I've used it a couple of time with success so far

• Like 1