Virtuemart vs Prestashop

Hi,
I know that I might get a bit of bias here, but I spoke to a software programmer tonight, and he told me that the BEST open source shopping cart out there is Virtuemart.

I am currently using Prestashop.

Has anyone had experience with Virtuemart. Is it really better?

Thanks

The question you're asking is like going a dealership and asking "which car here is the best"?

Really, what does that even mean?

Every cart has it's strengths and weaknesses and it's subjective to the user whether a particular piece of software is better than another.

A better question is "What are you looking for your cart to do?"

I must say that iw checked most of popular free shops and this is the one that is most user friendly.
To me it was easiest to work with aldo its not perfect and it has its bugs and disadwantages (but the others do as well) and requires lots of tweaking to make it working the way i want im still for it.

If you want cheap commercial solution look for cs-cart or cubecart. They seem OK (but i still prefer Presta).

I have gone through OS C , Zen, Cube, Magento, joomla, CRE loaded. and looked at lots of others and I must say presta is smoothest for me. Magento has it benefits and is quite slick but Presta is gonna grow extremely fast as it user interface is very friendly indeed. Afew things like the tax implications for businesses will be sorted at some time, then this product will boom

John

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I've been using Virtuemart for a couple of years aswell as oscommerce, zencart, and others.

Personally, Prestashop is the best go. I'm currently changing all the businesses to run on PS.

It's free and has a lot more features than the other OS carts.
The big "Minus", there is still a great lack in available good templates/themes.

For virtuemart/joomla there a lot professionals out there, like Rockettheme and joomlart ... Maybe someone can convince them to do some good work for us! ;o) I've got a membership for both sites and the support/community is amazing.

Magento is really good aswell, "but", just use it if you run it on a dedicated server and as mentioned above, it's thought for big/huge sites.

hope this helped ;op

c ya

Have a look at CS Cart, good import features, bulk product changing, and lots more, I only tried it last month and find it easy to navigate and use. Prestahop is good but CS cart has some good features too.

John

I have to agree with you on CS Cart it's not free but it's not overly expensive given it's features. It has pretty much everything. One-page checkout, Main Shipping carriers built in, etc, etc. If I had it to do over, (even though I love prestashop) I probably would have gone with CS Cart. It would have saved a lot of aggravation given all the customization I've had to do.