help! import csv file with third-level categories

For multiple categories, you should write each catagory separated with a comma

Ex: Computer, Storage, Nas household

BTW, your CSV file doesn't look like the way Prestashop CSV import format. Try to visit CSV import tab under Back Office>Tools>CSV Import and check the data field structure.

Regards.

Sample files are subject to change according to the version of your Prestashop installation.

However, you can download your sample file using Back Office>Tools>CSV Import>Sample CSV Import Files>Sample Categories File

There you can see the multiple category adding structure.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, my version is 1.4.7.3 prestashop

the sample file in the Back Office does not meet my needs, in the sample file attached as shown for each product category of a third level, can anyone help me and attach the file?

www.giuseppecolantuono.com/example.zip

Attached a sample file

There you'll see three categories:

Home>Batteries>Edges>Zort

Hope this helps.

Ok!!

I figured out how to do!

thank you! I wanted to ask if you have any trick to fix and import categories of this file

without editing 2/3 hours all the IDs

http://www.pixmania-pro.com/pixprofeeds/914028721e67a85357ae60bd89ba57ce/1

thanks very!!!

If you want to add the products under multiple categories at once using the file you linked,

Then open it in MS Excel using data import

Use the CONCATENATE command and some if conditions along with VLOOKUP or INDEX probably once you build the id of categories and then build a new column to consolidate other categories.

Finally you'll build up a category column that will look like this:

HOME, INFORMATICA, Giocattoli per bambine

That means the product will be registered under two categories and plus home category.

However, as you used semicolon to seperate fields in your csv file, I suggest you to change the categories that has comma in it. Because comma is used for multiple inputs.

Please look for the use of the commands I mentioned above in Excel and then start editing the CSV file. It won't take more than 5 minutes. Then you'll feel comfortable.

Another effective solution is to use Find and Replace command in Excel

1. Build your category tree

2. Import your CSV data into Excel

3. Select the category column and implement "Find and Replace" like:

Find "INFORMATICA" and Replace with "HOME, INFORMATICA, Giocattoli per bambine"

4. Save as CSV and import.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: Don't forget to change the category names having a comma in them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i'm very interested in this theme. I'm trying to import a big catalog but i have always the same problem.

I import directly a *.csv products like you have explained, whith a row in the Categories (x,y,z...) for example:

Home, Prueba1, Prueba2

It must be create a parent category Prueba1 whith a subcategory Prueba2. Isn't it??? But always create 2 independent categories in Home: Prueba1 and Prueba2.

What are i doing wrong???

Thanks.

Hi,

i'm very interested in this theme. I'm trying to import a big catalog but i have always the same problem.

I import directly a *.csv products like you have explained, whith a row in the Categories (x,y,z...) for example:

Home, Prueba1, Prueba2

It must be create a parent category Prueba1 whith a subcategory Prueba2. Isn't it??? But always create 2 independent categories in Home: Prueba1 and Prueba2.

What are i doing wrong???

Thanks.

You will first create the categories with categories cvsv and then import the product by using the structure (x,y,z...) in the product csv. Also are you sure that you define comma to separate multiple values while importing your products?

yes, here you have an example of the categories for 5000 products but i have more that 300.000 products.

By the other hand i think that for a new catalogue is relatively easy create the categories but the problem that i see is for the new products. You must to check the categories, subcategories of all the new products and if there are any new then create then. It is very difficult and tricky.

This attachement file is the tree in oscommerce. In this system you upload this and it creates the news categories and if they exits include the products in them. And all in the same file for products, categories, ... It is very very easy and logic.

Thanks and regards.

categories.zip

Hi dagoiz,

Please download the attached zip file, extract it to get the CSV file and using CSV Import from Back Office, import it.

While importing, the options:

• Categories selected
  • File separator will be comma
  • Multiple value separator will be comma
  • and Delete all categories before import? Checked

Hit to "Next Step", on that page skip 1 lines.

Then please let me know about the result. I left category images, meta description type info empty. If it is what you want, you can add yourself and re-import.

Regards

categories - Hoja2.zip

ok, thanks, but it isn't the problem. The problem that i see is that i posted:

By the other hand i think that for a new catalogue is relatively easy create the categories but the problem that i see is for the new products. You must to check the categories, subcategories of all the new products and if there are any new then create then. It is very difficult and tricky.

This attachement file is the tree in oscommerce. In this system you upload this and it creates the news categories and if they exits include the products in them. And all in the same file for products, categories, ... It is very very easy and logic.

I got your point. But that's the only way. First import categories, then you can import your products.

Whenever you need a new category, create it from Back Office then create your new product and connect.

Regards.

Do you know oscommerce easy populate??? Aren´t there any similar????

Sorry, never heard of.

someone to help me please???????

ok, thanks, but it isn't the problem. The problem that i see is that i posted:

Do you know oscommerce easy populate??? Aren´t there any similar????

User Caglar is trying to help, so a little respect and education.

• Like 1

I don't understand why do you say it. I don't speak english very well but all the quotes that you reference don't are unrespect in my opinon, if they are i excuses but i don't understand why. I only ask if Caglar know easy populate of oscommerce and if he konw somthing like that in prestashop.

Excuse Canglar but i can't unrespect to you at all.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for being that sensitive, thoughtful and nice you guys.

I don't have any problem.

Happy selling! B)

Everything OK, it's just a warning to the user dagoiz to remember to be patient, this is a free support forum, and therefore can not be asking for immediate help.

The user dagoiz, the Spanish community has tried to help in the Spanish zone, but has responded rudely. (http://www.prestasho...rtar-productos/)

Only a small warning to dagoiz

All you you can keep exchanging messages without problems. It was just a reminder that it is very important to respect and education.

Sorry for my English.

What are you talking about?? I don't know when i have been unrespected...?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?

Well, sorry again for Caglar or someone that have sensed unrespected for me, but i think that i haven't been....

And thanks to Nadie for allow us to exchanging messages. This is so considered.

By the other hand, i send the same question again about this topic. Are there something like oscommerce's easypopulate for prestashop????

Thanks and regards.

• Like 1

What are you talking about?? I don't know when i have been unrespected...?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?

For example the same (??...) repeated several times, are a lack of respect.

By the other hand, i send the same question again about this topic. Are there something like oscommerce's easypopulate for prestashop????

Thanks and regards.

User Caglar, is trying to explain, how to prepare your file *. Csv import to the importer prestashop.

Many times, or looking for a specific application or a file as you prepare this comment Caglar, for import into prestashop.

If you want a module ready to import the file directly, without having to prepare anything, you can try for example with Store Manager, you have a trial version and see if it helps to be able to import the file unprepared *. csv.

I recommend you follow the steps Caglar said.

Sorry for my English.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

i am facing one problem after uploading product.csv in prestashop. The products are not coming by search. and when i m going in the product from prestashop admin and save it manually then it comes in search. i dont want to go each & every product and save them. it is too irritating.

Give me the solution that i upload the product.csv and it will come in search without going to each & every product manually.

Hi,

i am facing one problem after uploading product.csv in prestashop. The products are not coming by search. and when i m going in the product from prestashop admin and save it manually then it comes in search. i dont want to go each & every product and save them. it is too irritating.

Give me the solution that i upload the product.csv and it will come in search without going to each & every product manually.

After csv import, you should run the seacrch indexing.

To do that, preferences>search>Add missing products to index or Re-build entire index.

Regards.

Edited by Caglar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi

I am hoping for a clear answer to a few questions:

1. Can categories be created in prestashop using only the products.csv import file, without having imported any other "categories" .csv file, and without manually creating categories from admin?

2. If there is a required category separator, what is it?

3. What is the "Home" for in categories?

Thanks

Also, the following link doesn't respond: http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS14/Troubleshooting

Edited by spuhg5 (see edit history)

1. No. First you need to create categories

2. There is not. However, once you import your categories, you can assign a product to more than one categories by separating with zero in product csv file.

3. It is the parent category of all categories.

1. What does "create categories" mean? From the admin? By importing a "categories.csv"?

2. How are multiple categories imported, in separate columns, or by a separator?

3. How is the "Home" category used, is it put into a .csv file?

Please answer clearly here, your previous answer is DEFINITELY not clear.

Thanks

I'm hoping to use PrestaShop for the first time on a project soon. Caglar, I've found this thread and your helpful (and clear) answers very useful. Thanks.

From reading through the thread, it seems like categories can also be imported via CSV, but separately, before importing products. But I'll take a look and give it a go.

spuhg5, that's some attitude you've got there.

• Like 1

From reading through the thread, it seems like categories can also be imported via CSV, but separately, before importing products. But I'll take a look and give it a go.

The categories CANNOT be created with product import, you MUST create the categories manually from admin OR use categories.csv import. This answer should not have taken 2 different askers over 10 emails to finally receive.

The categories CANNOT be created with product import, you MUST create the categories manually from admin OR use categories.csv import.

This is exactly what I gathered, and exactly what I stated in your quote: "[...] but separately, before importing products." Before, not with.

This answer should not have taken 2 different askers over 10 emails to finally receive.

Your sense of entitlement is both hilarious and ridiculous.

I was summarising what I'd gathered. Of course I didn't know for sure.

I suggest you have a reread of your responses in this thread. They're extremely rude and imposing. You seem to believe that other members of this forum somehow owe you something for having dared to give an answer that isn't to your satisfaction. That's not what open source communities are about.

I was summarising what I'd gathered. Of course I didn't know for sure.

Exactly. When work of importance is being completed, answers to questions need to be of an exact and professional nature, one needs to be sure, otherwise one will be wasting days and weeks.

Exactly. When work of importance is being completed, answers to questions need to be of an exact and professional nature, one needs to be sure, otherwise one will be wasting days and weeks.

And pretending not to have seen my warning about your rudeness will not avoid the sanction...

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon.

Sorry for recover this post. I have the same problem that cover this topic.

I have some webs. One of them have virtuemart and this functionality, that is very simple, is cover.

The functionality is that if you are imported products, you can create directly the sub-categories in the categories column with this format:

CATEGORY_COLUMN

Category1/SubCategory1/Subcategory2

In this case, if you dont have create any category in your web, Virtuemart automatic create Category1, Subcategory1 and Subcategory2 and put the in correct order.

If you need that the product will be in two categories at the same time, you online need to add a pipe. For example:

CATEGORY_COLUMN

Category1/SubCategory1/Subcategory2|Category1/Subcategory3

In OSCommerce is similar.

Well. The problem that i have is this. My webs have a lot of categories and subcategories with continues changes, and if you have to create it before upload the products, this is very frustrant to do.

I am doing my new store in prestashop and this is the first point where i see that prestashop lose versus the competence.

When you try to do this in prestashop, the csv create all the categories and subcategories but all appears in the principal screen (categories, not subcategories). The products will be put in all the categories that you create. For example:

CATEGORY1,SUBCATEGORY1,SUBCATEGORY2 --- PRODUCT 1

CATEGORY1,SUBCATEGORY1,SUBCATEGORY3 --- PRODUCT 2

Well. prestashop create CATEGORY1, SUBCATEGORY1, SUBCATEGORY2 and SUBCATEGORY3, but all of them, will have not parent category, all of them will be principal categories.

PRODUCT1 will appears in SUBCATEGORY1, 2 and CATEGORY1 and PRODUCT2 will appears in SUBCATEGORY1, 3 and CATEGORY 1.

Another limitation is with the MANUFACTURER. The problem is the same. If the manufacturer is not create, the product dont put a manufacturer when you upload the csv.

Do you know if there is a module that can do it better?

Best regards and sorry for up this post.

• 3 months later...

Looking for some help :(. I want to create categories .. in this mode:

Home>Clothes>Woman>T-shirt

But I can't understand HOW i created 3 different columns.. and not working. My question is. .. I need to create 1 single column.. and.. to write here.. all categories with , or ; ? Thank you

• 2 months later...

Hy,

I'm trying to import some categories in prestashop 1.5.3, but I receive some error messages:

[PrestaShopException]

Parent category does not exist

at line 380 in file classes/Category.php

374. if (!$this->id_parent)

375. return 0;

377. $parent_category = new Category((int)$this->id_parent);

378. if (!Validate::isLoadedObject($parent_category))

379. throw new PrestaShopException('Parent category does not exist');

380. return $parent_category->level_depth + 1;

381. }

383. /**

384. * Re-calculate the values of all branches of the nested tree

I've also attached the csv file for categories.

Thanks

categorii id comma.zip

FIX for this error, do not check "Delete all categories before import?", if you already checked this, reinstall prestashop, enter Back Office at Categories, delete all from there and then import csv categories without checking "Delete all categories before import?"

• Like 1