Skeleton theme

• 3 months later...

Hum, most of the subjects are around 1 year old... I assume nothing will happen :(

There is not even a way to support multiple layouts in the current 1.5 source code, so I'm afraid we are far from what was proposed.

I had written a ticket for this, but my session expired, so I gave up <_<

I have provided a FrontController override that supports this, but, as always, nobody cares : http://www.prestashop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154032-override-support-des-layouts-dans-prestashop-14x

I have been thinking about such a system to mockup quickly, but it sounds really complicated because of PrestaShop architecture.

Anyway, this sounds interesting.

There is not even a way to support multiple layouts in the current 1.5 source code, so I'm afraid we are far from what was proposed.

I had written a ticket for this, but my session expired, so I gave up <_<

Go on mate, write the ticket. It will take a bit of effort...maybe write in a text editor and then login and paste so that your work is not wasted...but I urge you to create that ticket.

I have provided a FrontController override that supports this, but, as always, nobody cares : http://www.prestasho...-prestashop-14x

That is just sad, and a shame really. "Not invented here" syndrome, do you think? If so, that would be far from the principles of open source...

Skeleton theme is quite interesting. Also, I was thinking that if PS implements a WordPress-like child theme system, then Skeleton theme will *largely* resolve the backwards-compatibility issue with getting rid of Smarty. Once a large number of themes move on to base their child themes on Skeleton theme, then it won't matter to them which templating system is used - Smarty, Rain, Twig, PHP, whatever...and PS could then easily switch to PHP without causing too much furor.

Ticket created : http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSFV-701 :)

"Not invented here" syndrome, do you think?

Well, this is just a few lines of code :)

I confes I sometimes have a strange feeling about PS open source strategy...

I'm feeling there are some political stuff for which we can't blame the developers themselves that explains why the code is still not on GitHub or open to committers.

But I'm still confident ! :)

Hi guys,

I actually started on a project to make my own 'skeleton' theme when I released the you one you mentioned looks like it'll never see the light of day.

I'd been holding off doing anything as I was always thinking 1.5 was round the corner, but as thats not the case I think I'll pick it up again.

Anyway, I wrote about it here: http://www.markhesketh.co.uk/blog/prestashop-starter-theme-boilerplate/

And started a Git Repo: https://github.com/heskethm/Prestashop-Theme-Boilerplate which to be honest, is pretty much the default theme with a few minor comments.

I wonder, what will happens with the people using the old default template when they upgrade to 1.5 via auto-upgrade function? their theme will be replaced with the new default template, and this means that their stores will be 100% messed, also all modules based on the old default theme will brake. So i guess there will be no Auto-upgrade from 1.4.x to 1.5? Any thoughts?

the auto-upgrade is for updating the files and datas from your previous prestashop to the new version.

of course it can't take into account any manual modification to a theme, or a different theme structure

you buyed at a theme creator. this has to be changed accordingly to the new javascript, css structure of any new prestashop version.

it already took place between specific 1.4 prestashop versions for new versions of javascript files in the template,

for example, and changes accordingly with the bug corrections in the tax calculations in the backoffice and so on.

It'll be down to the theme author, or yourself, if you're using a custom theme.

Usually theme authors update their themes for each version, so you'll need to wait until it has been updated or make the changes yourself.

Prestashop can't be responsible for everyone's custom changes, though thankfully if overrides are used correctly this won't be too much of an issue.

You did not understand me, i wondered what will happen with the people who uses 1.4.x "Default" theme, not a custom one or modified ones. Because in the 1.5 the "Default" theme is different but it uses the same name and folder. I don't speak about custom themes here. How they will upgrade two completely different "Default" themes with the same folder name?

Here it is an example, setup a store using 1.4.x now using the current "Default" theme, and you don't modify anything, when 1.5 arrive with the new "default" theme, how you will be able to auto-upgrade when the old "default" is in conflict with the new "default" theme. The current "default" theme don't have navigation bar module or slider for example, so you can't just update JavaScript or CSS only.

Is this mean's that the old "default" theme will be replaced and erased, or what will happen?

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

If you're looking for a barebones/skeleton theme to help speed up your development time, we've just finished creating one.

It's had all the standard prestashop gunk stripped out, and has been completely remade using html5 and twitter bootstrap.

It's fully responsive, to a max-width and (with one line of code change) can be fully responsive with 100% width.

It's made by devs for devs - we think it'll save hours of coding - take a peek here:

http://prestashopbootstrap.com/

Any thoughts, questions or comments welcome!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...