How to transfer my prestashop from one host provider to another...step by step.

Hello community...i use prestashop 1.4.3 , but i think the topic of this post is similar to all prestashop editions.

So i want to transfer my all prestashop to another host provider...did anyone know how can i do this...somethink like step by step tuturials.

I don't want to install prestashop at the beginning because i have allready done a lot of thinks with my themes and i don't want to start for the begginng.

Thanks..

Hello community...i use prestashop 1.4.3 , but i think the topic of this post is similar to all prestashop editions.

So i want to transfer my all prestashop to another host provider...did anyone know how can i do this...somethink like step by step tuturials.

I don't want to install prestashop at the beginning because i have allready done a lot of thinks with my themes and i don't want to start for the begginng.

Thanks..

Kostas,

I need the same. Any solutions so far?

There are some modules out there to export products but I couldn't try, yet. One of them is Export Products Module

can anyone confirm these steps..

1. Copy via FTP over the entire shops folder.

2. Copy your local database over to your internet server database.

3. Edit Config->Settings.inc.php

4. Make sure __PS_BASE_URI__ is set to the new URL.

5. Make sure _DB_NAME_ , _DB_SERVER_ , _DB_USER_ & _DB_PASSWD_ are all changed to the new database information.

>??????????????

5. Make sure _DB_NAME_ , _DB_SERVER_ , _DB_USER_ & _DB_PASSWD_ are all changed to the new database information.

>??????????????

All correct steps.Nothing much to worry at this stage.Dont forget your htaaccess file.Or you can of course regenerate the htaccess from backoffice. You need to copy the contents of the folder to the root of new host .Do not copy the folder itself.You can just use filezilla and ctl A to select all files/folders inside your shop and drag and drop it to root of new host.

Also i would suggest you read the topics already existing in the install section of forum.It is all mentioned there.

indus you post somethink else ''differnt'' before? about a value in a file?

Could you please post the link for install...and what about htaaccess file....what do you nean?

I search for a good link for you, but till that time you can try importing your database backup through phpmyadmin to the new host and see if all is good.Create a new database with same name as the old one and then upload the backup .Also create a db user with same name as your old one.

Also keep a copy of your .htacess file from old setup .You can copy that to the new server root also.

Look this link http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/17724-moving-migrating-prestashop-to-a-new-host/

thanks a lot for your reply...i read all the post in the link that you send me and i must say that i feel confuse with all differents opinions.

I don't know...i think in this so important case we must have an answer for someone inside prestashop family...

We need a step by step quide because its to frequency το change host provider.

And something else if you see at the tools(backend)/ DB backup ....you can take a backup of your database (but if you read the rules of the Disclaimer before creating a new Backup, you afraid to make a backup) but also you can create from your cpanel...where is the differnet? and which one to prefer? any suggestion.

It really isn't very complicated but there are a few areas that can trip you up.

The first thing to check is whether you're moving from similar hosting systems e.g. whm/cpanel. If you are then you should consider getting the two hosting companies to help you as it's merely a case of backing up the whole hosting account on one and "restoring" it on the other - this has the advantage of preserving everything including email accounts, parked domains etc. You should always consider this as your first approach as it is by far the simplest.

If the above isn't possible, then you have slightly more work to do.

The first step I would take is to do a trial install of the PS version you are using on the new hosting. To do this you need to ftp all the files from your old hosting to the new hosting, and then also ftp the "install" directory from a corresponding PS version download (you can download older versions of Prestashop from here: http://code.google.com/p/prestashop/ ). Temporarily rename the config/settings.inc.php file to something else so the installer thinks this is a new install. At this stage you only have to create a database on the new hosting (empty), as you're only concerned with the code/filesystem. Most hosting control panels have a "wizard" to help create a new empty database. We'll look at the database side of the actual move later though.

The above will assist by telling you what, if any permissions and settings you will have to modify on the new hosting, and saves messing about having to change permissions and settings as you discover issues. In theory you could preserve the permissions by creating a tar file on the old server, but even then the different systems may not be configured the same, so even that may not work. Note that you don't have to complete the install - just progress far enough to ensure that you know what changes to permissions/settings, if any, you need to make.

Once the above is complete you can move on to migrating the database. The best way is to use phpMyAdmin where available. There are plenty of resources on the net detailing how to do this e.g. http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database which although written for WordPress can equally be applied to any MySQL database. In this case you restore to the database on the new server which you created for the above step.

This is the area where you may encounter problems as there are often limits on the size of import/export files allowed. It may be that for a store with a large number of products you might have to backup and restore the tables in groups rather than all the tables in the one file. It's really just a case of trial and error sadly.

Once the database has imported correctly you will then have to reinstate the config/settings.inc.php file (which you renamed above) back to its proper name. Because the database details have likely changed as a result of the move you will need to edit this file and change the database settings:

define('_DB_SERVER_', '127.0.0.1'); // It's is unlikely but possible that you'll need to change this

define('_DB_NAME_', 'new_db_name');

define('_DB_USER_', 'your_db_username');

define('_DB_PASSWD_', 'your_db_password');

These should be the only settings you need to change. Note that if you performed a full install in the first stage above, then the installer will have created a new settings.inc.php file for you. You MUST DELETE this new copy as it does not contain the correct keys required to properly handle your stored passwords. You can however copy the database settings from this new file and use these to replace the ones in your original settings.inc.php file prior to restoring it.

The final stage is to recreate any email accounts you have on your old hosting and remember to backup/download any remaining emails you wish to keep - how you do this will depend on the email client software you use obviously.

Once the domain name has propagated to the new server's IP address your store should now be exactly as it was before, but on the new hosting. If you want to test before switching the domain name over, then you can manually modify the hosts table on your PC to point to the new server's IP address for your domain name. Remember to delete the entry in the hosts table of your PC once the IP address has propagated though or it might cause confusion in the future....

It is good practice, once the above is complete, to regenerate the .htaccess and robots.txt files just to be safe.

Good luck!

Paul

• Like 3

no nothing...a take back a white page....i dont know....i still wounder why there is not a official answer for this topic?

What do you mean 'official answer'? I think there is a pinned topic in this forum for all your questions.And this is a community forum so answers are provided voluntarily by users free of cost.

If you want official answer you can buy paid support .

Anyways, you can go to config folder and in file config.inc.php set in first line init display errors 'on' to see what is the error.

i look the file you told me and i get this...

/* Debug only */

@ini_set('display_errors', 'off');

define('_PS_DEBUG_SQL_', false);

do you know if there is a problem with addon domains? because i install it at addon domains...

Yes, change it to :

/* Debug only */
@ini_set('display_errors', 'on');
define('_PS_DEBUG_SQL_', true);

It should give a clue as to what is wrong. It's unlikely that you'll get an "official" answer since what you're trying to do has very little to do with Prestashop specifically, over what has already been said in this thread.

Paul

/* Debug only */

do you know if there is a problem with addon domains? because i install it at addon domains...

See above ,if you set display errors to 'on' you can see the errors.

Sorry i dont know what is addon domains.Can you give a link to your site?

indus

add on domains is something like this ....http://shop.mysite.com...the ''shop''is the addon domain...

In the install quide its said that you can install prestashop in a domain or in a folder (www.mysite.com or www.mysite.com/shop) . i suppouse that maybe i can't install it on it...if you now something more ??

shop.example.com is a sub-domain as as such is no different to www.example.com so that isn't an issue here.

My understanding of an "add-on" domain is where you have more than one domain using a single hosting package, and again this is transparent to Prestashop.

Paul

paul i feel so stupid....you have right i use a share hosting plan (at surpasshosting.com if you know, i found then very good )and when i try to create now ddomain name it called it subdomain, when i create a think just like (shop.mysite.com) it called add on domains. Thats why i call it....maybe you have right...

Paul C..i did what ever you told me...at topic 9 and when I hit : http://e-shop.mydomain.com the url changes to www.mydomain.com....whats this/

What I have done wrong?? Do you have any idea…..

And there is no redirection…at the sub domain…normally it has to point at the subdomain…but unfortunately tern to main domain…why????

and something...because it can be useful at the installation of prestashop...and at the step4 ...i the values in the fields and i put next...it seems like it do something...but it stop there...it is not pass at the final step (step 5).....thanks so far..

The instructions are based on you moving from one hosting to another with the shop at the same url. If you have changed the url (domain) then you will need to edit the database to reflect this change.

In the ps_configuration table (assuming 'ps_' is the database table prefix, may be different if you changed it) there are two records that you will have to change to the new shop domain. You can change these using the following SQL

UPDATE `ps_configuration` SET `value` = 'e-shop.mydomain.com' WHERE `name` IN ('PS_SHOP_DOMAIN','PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL')

I would try the above first to see if this helps. You can send me the domain name via PM if you like and I can try and see what's happening regarding redirects.

Paul

i transfer my site (for the other host, for a url just like that :www.mysite.com) to onother host (with url, just like that: http://e-shop.mysite.com).

all the step go well, expect step 5...i don't know why..do you know if this say something?

And about the ps_configuration table (because i am not so expert,just like you) i go to phpmyadmin, i open the database ...i found the ''ps_configuration''...and i press ''code sql''under the value (SELECT * FROM `ps_configuration` WHERE 1) i put ...

UPDATE `ps_configuration` SET `value` = 'e-shop.mydomain.com' WHERE `name` IN ('PS_SHOP_DOMAIN','PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL')

[/code]

????????????????????...

Yes just click the SQL tab and when it shows

SELECT * FROM `ps_configuration` WHERE 1

Replace the above with

And then click the "Go" button at the bottom right. :)

You will need to clear the cache on your browser (and probably restart) since if there was a 301 redirect the browser will "remember" it. This is true also when you're working with the .htaccess file. It can be really confusing...

Paul

• Like 1

PAUL...just look this please...i make new subdomain...i try to install new and fresh prestashop edition (1.4.3) and build the template and all the other for the begging...and look what i found....the installastion take my at the step 4...i fill all the fields and i put next...nothing...is not take my at the final step...why????

• 3 weeks later...

/* Debug only */

indus

I'm glad this thread is here. I'm having similar issues, and had edited the settings.inc.php and .htaccess files appropriately.

the tip above led me to turn warnings on (in config.inc.php) and realize I did not have some items installed on the new system (mcrypt). I'll work on that and hopefully be up soon.

THANKS!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

These should be the only settings you need to change. Note that if you performed a full install in the first stage above, then the installer will have created a new settings.inc.php file for you. You MUST DELETE this new copy as it does not contain the correct keys required to properly handle your stored passwords. You can however copy the database settings from this new file and use these to replace the ones in your original settings.inc.php file prior to restoring it.

Now that was a piece of very useful information. I couldn't understand why the passwords weren't working anymore. Great! Thank you Paul!

• 4 months later...

We have a guide which we made to help a new user move hosting to us. It should still be useful to anyone who needs to move from one hosting company to another. If you use this guide and have any problems, spot an error, or know how to improve the process, drop them in the comments and we'll update the blog post.

Easy to follow Prestashop server migration guide

Hope it helps :)

Edited by SquirrelHosting (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I read your messages. It was realy helpfull. Somehow at the final step when I am trying to import my database to new server via BigDump (Staggered MySQL Dump Importer v0.35b) I am reciving the message follow. I can not solvee it.

Error at the line 21: CREATE DATABASE `information_schema` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Query: --

--

CREATE DATABASE `information_schema` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

MySQL: Access denied for user 'modancom_2'@'%' to database 'information_schema'

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

• 11 months later...

>??????????????

Yes this can be done however you need to be careful and make sure you back everything up and follow those steps to the tee. Additionally if you have a SSL certificate you will need to revoke it and set up a new one on the new hosting acct.

Edited by T-Bone (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Good Evening, Morning, and Afternoon Accordingly:

I will need to move my PS 1.6 from one host to another and I must say the back and forth exchange of information is very intimidating for a novice such as myself to the point I may end up going with an online service such as shopify. This is already compounded by issues with my current host server constantly being down throughout the day, everyday, over the past several weeks and even more since the heartbleed incident.

With that being said, this is my problem with understanding the php lingo, it is explained on a level as if the communication is directed to another experienced coder/programmer. Just my opinion and if I was discussing real estate closings and loan processing procedures on this list, I'm sure there will be a few glazed over eyes and/or the deer in the headlight look. :) I am also concern that PS does not provide a more detailed step by step outline regarding transferring from host-to-host. But then again, I'm a merchant that has unfortunately spent a lot of funds on themes, modules, and plugins. Fortunately, for me I do like learning new things but learning is so much better when it is not presented in a manner that could be perceived as intimidating and/or steamed.

Now, my question is this for my own particular situation.

• My shop has 379 products, 8 categories, and 44 customers.
  • I am currently using the bootstrap theme with a few minor changes....basically removing the slider and ads from the home page and I am tired of some designers selling themes but not updating to make it usable with the latest version of PS.
  • I have installed several modules and it works so those would not be a problem.

Since I am having a few issues with version 1.6 such as the Dashboard never reflecting the correct information even after resetting multiple times, re-installing, and the updates, when I click on "show all" on the product screen it does not work, if I click on page 2, I receive and error message, whenever I add a new product, 9 out of 10 times I would either get an error related to adding the product to at least one category (already added), issue with language when the site is in English only (always on en}, or an issue with the {re-write....}, etc. To add one product, I often have to click on multiple tabs to get the green "save and stay" and then multiple tab to obtain the save successfully on the save. Lastly, if I am using IE, my cursor always seems to appear outside the text area for the short and long description, in Fire Fox, I'm kicked out if there is no activity in 30 seconds, and in Chrome, blank lines are repeatedly added to the bottom of the short and long description areas. This results in excessive scrolling in order to reach the save button. Yes, I often consider myself and beta tester child and like Murphy's Law, it will happen to me.

Would it be best to just start with a new installation on the new host? My host does offer MOJO Marketplace as an option. I have installed PS manually and smoked a cigarette afterwards since it was a major accomplishment for me. My issue would most likely be related to downloading and uploading my products into the new installation with ease and without having to manually add my products and rewrite my content. Tried it in the past using several online instructions.. 2 thumbs down

A previous member mentioned paying for service. However, my concern with this and is based on previous services received, my sites were often left in chaos, exposed, etc. So, I am not at ease with this option.

Back to my questions, Would it be best to just start with a new installation on the new host? My host does offer MOJO Marketplace as an option. What would be the best option I can use to get my products and all the details uploaded?

I would greatly appreaciate any input to a solution. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Carolyn

Edited by onlinerepa (see edit history)

Hello csshopper, thank you for responding.

First domain:  http://www.jahmeelah.com/

If you click on "For Her", Subcategory Earrings, page 2 you will find the error on corresponding pages but it only seems to apply to subcategories, I think.

Issue 2 - Click on Purses. You will see that there are 13 items in the category but page 2 does not appear. Probably related to Issue 1 above.

If you click on "For Her" and then click on Show All, the pages are still separated in to two pages. Items 1-60 and 61 - 84

I don't think my daughter mentioned anything else.

This would be the problems with the first site.

The issues related to my website are all back office issues.

Carolyn

Edited by onlinerepa (see edit history)

Hi Carolyn,

We did not noticed any such issue with PS1.6. Can you please share your url so that we can see what is issue there?

Thanks

Alok

Hi,

Did you get the chance to look at the issue? I haven't receive an answer or heard from anyone regarding this matter. Very disappointed.